Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-24-08, 09:15 AM   #1
zim2dive

Default Poor performance for full-screen flash, geForce 8200

I did not specifiy the driver level in the subject line b/c it doesn't seem to mater.. I have tried the Ubuntu 8.10 default nvidia driver (177.80).. I have upgraded to 177.82 by hand (the latest stable), and have tried 180.11 and 180.16, which have caused or at least coincided with massive system instability, and have been unable to install 180.18. But the results I got with 180.11 and 16 were appreciably the same as with 177.8x

here is what I did...

A (no nvidia driver)
-fresh new install of Ubuntu 8.10.. via wubi, 32-bit... reboot to using NO nvidia driver (as default) and a screen rez of 1280x800
-launch Firefox and go to youtube link, get the message "you either have Javascript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player".. add bookmark and quit
-launch synaptic, add in the additional repositories.. install flashplugin-nonfree 10.0.15.3ubuntu1.
-launch Firefox and go to youtube link.. normal size plays fine... full screen (1280x800) plays without any obvious stutter.

B
-install Intrepid-level nvidia restricted driver (177.80 per the nvidia settings panel) via System->Hardware Drivers and reboot (to glorious 1080p) to activate new driver
-launch Firefox and go to youtube link.. at this point even the normal size is a tad jerky, and full screen is the same lost cause as I've been seeing in my previous installs.
- I go to the screen resolution panel and drop to 1280x720 (to compare against the no-nvidia screen res and its still jerky.

At this point I have not upgraded/installed _anything_ else... so I don't think it can be a driver conflict, and given the Flash perfornace before installing the nvidia driver, I'm not inclined to blame the Flash plugin, at least not by itself...

bug-report attached.

Again, I realize it would be much better to be running the most current dirver and debug against that, but as I said, I did try several 180.x drivers briefly and saw no improvement, but I also got many system lockups so I would like to stick with 177 until there is a compelling reason to switch. From what I saw with 180.xx no improvements were made to the code in this area.

I have an Acer AX1200, 2.7 Ghz dual-core, 3G ram, on-board geForce 8200

EDIT: I have also applied the performance tweaks from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118088 with no visible improvement (with regard to Flash)
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (146.7 KB, 135 views)
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 02:23 AM   #2
artem

Default Re: Poor performance for full-screen flash, geForce 8200

You are not alone with this problem, on my 8800GT almost all normal youtube videos cause firefox to consume 100% of CPU and full screen playing is jerky and many frames get dropped.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 12:57 PM   #3
Linuxhippy

... so on your 8800 firefox is eating up all your CPU, in fact the flash-plugin inside firefox.
I wonder how you come to the conlusion that this is a nvidia releated problem?

After all, I have a 945GM with so-much-praised-open-source-linux-drivers, and beside the fact that intel-driver releases are totally broken since 2.5 (there are benchmarks on phoronix, showing that 2.6-pre1 is sometimes 25% of 2.5's performance, and 2.4 was even faster).
Even on that intel chip I can't play flash videos fullscreen.

- Clemens
Linuxhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 02:36 PM   #4
Dragoran

I can play fullscreen flash just fine on my 7600 Go.
Make sure that you are using a recent flash version (10 fullscreen playback got improved in it)
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 03:29 PM   #5
artem

I have flash player 10 installed.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-08, 10:11 PM   #6
zim2dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
I have flash player 10 installed.
yep, I have 10 d15.

If this is "improved" I hate to see the lesser version...
Old 12-30-08, 04:03 PM   #7
bytemare

I have a similar configuration. Acer X1200, onboard Geforce 8200, 4 gigs of RAM. Yes, I'm convinced it the driver. XP works fine, everything else works fine, but graphics in linux are poor. Just scrolling in firefox or moving any window in gnome has lag. Im using current driver from rpm fusion. Applied some tweaks and saw possibly a slight improvement. Would like to help somehow if possible to get this resolved.
bytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 05:45 PM   #8
pataphysician

I have a 8300 on my motherboard and am using Intrepid. I have found the 173 drivers work fine with youtube, but it has some problems with twinview where your limited in the size of the CRT display, to a size less than the DFP, and some very occasional minor display muckups in firefox when scrolling.

The performance was horrible with the 177 driver and 180 driver with youtube, but some other flash video was ok. The 177 driver solved my twinview and minor muckups with scrolling.

The difference was with 173 driver and youtube video, it used both processors about 40-60 percent whereas with 177 or 180 series, youtube would only use one processor at 100% and switch between the two processors every 30 seconds, so 100% on one processor 1 12%(mostly system stuff) on processor 2, then it would switch to 100% processor 2 12% processor 1, with a major sputter during the switch, I would assume it is this behaviour that is the problem.

I did use some other flash video from msnbc that was fine and balanced on both processors, So wondering if it is a Flash 10, Nvidia driver, youtube implementation of flash video combination problem.
pataphysician is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-08, 08:15 PM   #9
pcjason

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataphysician View Post
I have a 8300 on my motherboard and am using Intrepid. I have found the 173 drivers work fine with youtube, but it has some problems with twinview where your limited in the size of the CRT display, to a size less than the DFP, and some very occasional minor display muckups in firefox when scrolling.

The performance was horrible with the 177 driver and 180 driver with youtube, but some other flash video was ok. The 177 driver solved my twinview and minor muckups with scrolling.

The difference was with 173 driver and youtube video, it used both processors about 40-60 percent whereas with 177 or 180 series, youtube would only use one processor at 100% and switch between the two processors every 30 seconds, so 100% on one processor 1 12%(mostly system stuff) on processor 2, then it would switch to 100% processor 2 12% processor 1, with a major sputter during the switch, I would assume it is this behaviour that is the problem.

I did use some other flash video from msnbc that was fine and balanced on both processors, So wondering if it is a Flash 10, Nvidia driver, youtube implementation of flash video combination problem.
Well I tried the 173.14.15 driver and I'm happy to report that 2d performance is much more like what I would expect! Also, flash videos are working just fine now! Unfortunately, scrolling in firefox while running compiz produces some display oddities for me. So, I'm lef t with a few choices:

1. 180.x series drivers = HDMI + Compiz + VDPAU - crappy flash performance - crappy 2d performance (no metacity)
2. 177.x series drivers = HDMI(I think) + Compiz - crappy flash performance - crappy 2d performance (no metacity)
3. 173.x series drivers = Compiz (with firefox issue) + tolerable flash performance + tolerable 2d performance - No HDMI

For me, I will be sticking with the 173.x series along with metacity. I'm not using HDMI yet, and I need this system for productivity, not eye candy. Within a month or two, this system will become a MythTV frontend, so there better be working drivers (HDMI + VDPAU) by that point. For now, I'm just happy that I can actually use the system to some degree!
pcjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-08, 09:28 PM   #10
pataphysician

pcjason, I'm glad my info helped you out, I was using 173 as my choice, because of the better flash speed, but for me dual screens is important and with 173, while I got it to work with twinview after much trial and error, but only with my CRT at 1027 x 768, which I just can't handle anymore, so I went to 177. I don't do youtube videos that much, some other flash videos seem to work fine or at least better. Also I usually run a seamless virtualbox KDE distro on my box, and if I run firefox on there, youtube works better, and good enough for my limited usage.

Also if anybody uses 173 with twinview and compiz, there is a problems where it doesn't draw any of your icons or folder on your desktop, this wasn't a problem for me because I don't really use them anyway.
pataphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 09:11 AM   #11
SlowPerson

Can that be a issue with the PAT support in recent kernels?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=926365

If its activated try adding nopat to your grub kernel.
Afaik it is activated by default on x86 kernels..

Btw first post - Hi everyone!
SlowPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-08, 10:15 AM   #12
zim2dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowPerson View Post
Can that be a issue with the PAT support in recent kernels?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=926365

If its activated try adding nopat to your grub kernel.
Afaik it is activated by default on x86 kernels..

Btw first post - Hi everyone!
I have tried both 32-bit and 64-bit installs of Ubuntu.. same problem both ways. If I read your link correctly, I should have toggled this value by doing that, so both ways would seem to produce equally bad results ?

If I've misunderstod please don't hesitate to explain with small words (No sarcasm, I am new to this level of digging into unix, so I very often don't catch everything).

The curious differences (that I see so far) are that I don't have any sound in 173, but good video, and someone else pointed out (I still need to verify on my system) that in 173, both cores in the proc are used, but 177 and 180 only load down 1 core.

Thanks,
Mike