Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-13-09, 11:29 AM   #1
tld

Default 177.82 freeze with opengl xscreensaver

I had to downgrade to the 173.14.15 driver because of freezes I've been experiencing with 177.82. Here are the circumstances under which this occurs:

When an opengl xscreensaver activates while I have video paused in MythTV (which is using xv) I frequently get serious freezes where doing a Ctrl-Alt-Backspace won't even respond. At that point MythTV grabs the entire CPU and various other processes lock up. Sometimes I can't even shell into the machine as other processes apparently lock up.

I've attached a bug report, though a few important notes about it:

1) I was, for reasons unknown, unable to reproduce the freezes with --logverbose, so the bug report was run without it.
2) I took me several tries to even get into the machine remotely during the freeze as it seems to lock up sshd sometimes. When I finally did, the freeze caused nvidia-bug-report.sh to hang until I opened another shell and killed the mythfrontend process...so I don't know whether or not the report captured the pertinent info.

That's the best I could do, and I risked my hard drives by powering my machine off several times getting it.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (71.4 KB, 100 views)
tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 01:00 PM   #2
Windseeker

Default Re: 177.82 freeze with opengl xscreensaver

Since 177.82 is not the latest released driver, I'd ask you to try 180.22 first if that changes anything.
Windseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-09, 06:45 PM   #3
tld

I'm going to as soon as they're available in the Gentoo portage repository...though I don't look forward to it seeing the reports of similar lockups with that.

We're talking about lockups that can require powering off a running system, as sshd can even lock up...seriously nasty stuff. I may just stick with 173.14.15 until I hear about a problem being found and corrected.

Tom
Old 01-18-09, 10:47 AM   #4
tld

I've discovered that this only occurs if I set MythTV to use opengl vertical sync. I enabled RTC in my kernel and started using that instead and it appears to be impossible to reproduce the freeze.

Tom