Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-09, 06:31 PM   #205
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Mirror's Edge out today?

Wow, this is a great port. I guess I should have expected that from DICE, being PC devs before, but.. still it is surprising.

As someone who played this game to level 6 or so on Xbox I can assure you that not only does it look a lot better on PC, it also plays better. I thought it would be a rare title I would use a pad for on PC, but noooo way. KB&M works much better and freaking ROCKS for this game.

Back to visuals, I can't overstate how much better the game looks maxed out on PC. What was once an almost unrecognizeable blob is now a distant ocean bay with boats and sparkling water. What was once an almost sea of jaggies is now a fence, or a fan, or a skyline. The textures are also more detailed and seem to have some decent AF applied naturally... the water-soaked walls in level 2 were stunning.

I turned physics off because the first time glass shattered my fps dropped to like 5, instead of 80 or so. No thanks on that. Also, v-synch seems to do nothing, but you can force it through nvidia's control panel and it works that way... slowed the game down and added some mouse lag though, so I turned it back off and don't recommend it. I forced AF and noticed no difference in texture quality.

GREAT PORT! Mirror's Edge joine a half-dozen other titles as a game much better experienced on PC lately.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 06:37 PM   #206
GitDat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I'm always serious.

Deadly serious.

::
EVGA Z77 FTW | Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB G.Skill Trident-X 2400MHz | SLI EVGA GTX Titan SC's | Intel 520 SSD's RAID-0 | ThermalTake 1475watt | 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme - 8941 | Windows 8 Pro 64-bit | NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround
GitDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 07:21 PM   #207
Syvere

Well, I caved in and bought it from Steam. Only now Steam is acting up on me and saying "Steam Service Failure, Please restart Steam and try installation again." Happens with all my Steam games. Any ideas?
Syvere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 08:07 PM   #208
shilk

Check the game integrity in the properties menu of the game. Select the game and right-click it and go to properties, iirc. There's should be something along the lines of "check file integrity" or something like that.

I love the look of this game. It certainly is refreshing and awesome in it's own way.

I'm having so much fun with this game. When you get into the "flow" and start hopping around and doing your ninja acrobatics, it feels so awesome. The thing that does get to me is when you get overwhelmed or miss a ledge and have to do that instance over and over again until you figure out what it is you need to do.

[spoiler maybe]
Just ealier, I was at the office where there's a gun on the desk (stupid me didn't pick it up for about 5 deaths), and even after I got the gun I didn't know you could shoot the glass to wall run across to the other ledge.

The first time I got up there and ran across, I freakin died from laughter as I did a wall run and slammed right into the glass. The only thing that went though my head was the sound of someone hitting a freshly cleaned glass door with Windex and making that long sqeaking sound as they fell with their cheek planted on the glass.

Classic.

[end spoiler]
shilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 08:58 PM   #209
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Quote:
I turned physics off because the first time glass shattered my fps dropped to like 5, instead of 80 or so.
I'm having this exact same issue. The second I shoot out a glass (or anything in the game happens that activates physx), everything just turns to a slide show and from that point on, it stays that way, even if I reload the game. Once the slide show starts, the only way to get it to stop is to turn off Physx and load the game again. I've tried the new 181.22 Beta and Physx 9 and still get this. Something is still not right in Physx town.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 09:15 PM   #210
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Luckily the physics are pretty minor, as far as eye candy in the game goes.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 01-16-09, 10:12 PM   #211
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvere View Post
Well, I caved in and bought it from Steam. Only now Steam is acting up on me and saying "Steam Service Failure, Please restart Steam and try installation again." Happens with all my Steam games. Any ideas?
Reinstall and perhaps maybe try signing up to the Steam Client beta to see if that helps.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 10:17 PM   #212
Syvere

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Reinstall and perhaps maybe try signing up to the Steam Client beta to see if that helps.
It seems to be a Windows 7 issue. I get the error message when installing and Steam doesn't add shortcuts to desktop or Games Explorer but the games install and play fine despite the error message *shrug*.
I also reinstalled Steam to see if it was the issue. Steam Client beta ended a few days ago and the new client was released.

How about we get a list of NVnews ME players as the game seems to have in-game friends list for leaderboards/speedruns and so on.

My nick in-game is... Syvere
Syvere is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-09, 10:34 PM   #213
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post

I turned physics off because the first time glass shattered my fps dropped to like 5, instead of 80 or so. No thanks on that.
Funny, when I complained about that here I got called a pirate and a liar. (http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126338)

Anyways, after updating to the new physx off Nvidias site 9.00.10 or something and installing 181.20 physx is running pretty smooth now. Havent had massive drops I was having. Also make sure you are patched to 1.01.

Give it a shot, it worked for me. Physx still takes a performance hit, but not single digits like before. I agree though, I'd rather not have physx at all if the performance hit is so severe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 11:02 PM   #214
AdamK47

If enabling or disabling PhysX makes no difference in performance for you (ie still bad) then try uninstalling the PhysX driver and reinstalling it from a stand alone installer package. Mirror's Edge was slow for me even though I had PhysX enabled in the control panel. I have a Core i7 @ 3.8GHz and two overclocked GTX 280s in SLI so it should have been running great, but wasn't. After reinstalling PhysX the game was smooth. It worked for me, so it's worth a shot.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-09, 11:17 PM   #215
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Well I only have one card, so I didn't expect great performance from the physx...

Old 01-17-09, 01:01 AM   #216
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Tried un-installing and re-installing PhysX and it didn't make any difference. This game is just not playable for me with PhysX on.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote