Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-17-09, 06:16 PM   #229
Koko56

Default Re: Mirror's Edge out today?

Just finished the game. While I was not in the "ideal" mindset for playing this game, it was was good.

"Pure". A tremendous job by the creators.
Old 01-18-09, 02:37 AM   #230
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Does the game get irritating at any point??

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 05:00 AM   #231
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

A little bit, it always shows where you need to go, but not always how to get there. I guess that's the game, and there is usually more than one way to get there. It's fun, but try to get it on sale. I dunno bout there, but here is is usually some store doing new release for 15-20% off.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 05:33 AM   #232
Alaa
Peace

High res textures? They look great!
Alaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 06:42 AM   #233
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64 View Post
Hmmm... I dono. It does get overly bright now and then. For me at least...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaa View Post
High res textures? They look great!
High res textures?
Old 01-18-09, 07:54 AM   #234
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64 View Post
Several points mostly due to, in Yahtzee's terms, "leap of faith" gameplay. This is a result of some severe-at-times collision detection issues. A lot of times, you'll think you've successfully executed a jump, only to realize that your character stubbornly refuses to acknowledge a grip on the ledge you were looking for. A 15-story splatter death ensues.

Another one is the timing of weapon disarms. You'll hit the proper button when the weapon turns red, but the game won't acknowledge it...repeatedly, meaning death by weapon b*tchslap.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 08:13 AM   #235
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
Several points mostly due to, in Yahtzee's terms, "leap of faith" gameplay. This is a result of some severe-at-times collision detection issues. A lot of times, you'll think you've successfully executed a jump, only to realize that your character stubbornly refuses to acknowledge a grip on the ledge you were looking for. A 15-story splatter death ensues.

Another one is the timing of weapon disarms. You'll hit the proper button when the weapon turns red, but the game won't acknowledge it...repeatedly, meaning death by weapon b*tchslap.
I never really missed many jumps - where it as not detected. Though I was not too worked up about that nor the disarmament, since I only did a few times, later on in the game.
EDIT: God, now I started thinking about it.
Old 01-18-09, 09:42 AM   #236
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post

I never really missed jumps that should have been made, or missed gun grabs that I felt I hit on time, in either my console or PC time with the game. I don't even think the game has "trial and error" gameplay, like reviewers say. If you think you can make a jump, you 99% of the time can, after you get used to the game's mechanics. If the game has a "problem" in this regard, it is only that it focuses on speed and pace, yet often you will have to stop and think about where you can go and what you can reach. As Crainger said though, that's the game part. I suppose if you refuse to stop and think and just keep running, you might end up jumping into nothing or grabbing an electric fence... this is more the player's fault, than the game's, in my opinion.

One thing I think people mess up on and caused some failed jumps on my part early in the game is that you have to be looking at what you want to grab, or the direction you want to leap. You put your body in the same position over and over, but you will only grab the railing if you aim you look at it. If I miss a pipe or railing in the game it is always due to not looking where I was supposed to, or not putting my body where I was supposed to, which is a gameplay element... moving your body right being the gameplay of the game... not a technical failing.

In other words complaining that Mirror's Edge is "trial and error" because you keep messing up in keeping your body AND gaze where they need to be is like complaining Doom is trial and error because you will die if your bullets don't go where you are supposed to be sending them to kill your enemies.

Mirror's Edge is in my top 5 for 2008, so I obviously love it. I find its gameplay fun, unique and exhilirating, and its presentation stunning in both look and sound. It's a pure classic, in my opinion.

Also: I fixed the physics problems by uninstalling all my physics and graphics drivers and reinstalling the new 181.22s, as suggested above. The real solution must be letting the new graphics drivers install the physics fresh, as that is the only difference between what I did this time and what I did before.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-09, 09:54 AM   #237
Koko56

Ya, more or less how you play and what state of mind you are in while you do play it.
Old 01-18-09, 10:00 AM   #238
|MaguS|

How does the game run on a GTX 260? Im gonna upgrade my HTPC with one and would love to give this game a try on the PC. I dout my laptop could run it smoothly...
Old 01-18-09, 10:02 AM   #239
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
How does the game run on a GTX 260? Im gonna upgrade my HTPC with one and would love to give this game a try on the PC. I dout my laptop could run it smoothly...
Damn good.

I can run it in 1920x1200, 16xQ AA, highest texture and detail settings, v-synch forced through the control panel and it NEVER drops below 60fps.

That's with physics off... with them on, I run at the same settings only 8xAA, and I get 30-40 fps with some minor drops here and there.

Honestly I think, despite getting them running well, I am going to turn off physics and complete the game at max settings with everything else. The added-on tarps and such look... well, added-on, and not worth the occassional perormance hiccups.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 10:17 AM   #240
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Damn good.

I can run it in 1920x1200, 16xQ AA, highest texture and detail settings, v-synch forced through the control panel and it NEVER drops below 60fps.

That's with physics off... with them on, I run at the same settings only 8xAA, and I get 30-40 fps with some minor drops here and there.

Honestly I think, despite getting them running well, I am going to turn off physics and complete the game at max settings with everything else. The added-on tarps and such look... well, added-on, and not worth the occassional perormance hiccups.
Holy ****. I get some stuttering now, but I think that's down to my HDD. As, again, the HD activity LED flashes a lot when the stutters occur. PhysX turned off.

Also - this is how bright it looks for me, it is some kind of a problem as initially I did not get that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	35093