Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-09, 11:04 AM   #241
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Mirror's Edge out today?

That does look a little too bright... there is a brightness setting in the game though, maybe play with it?

There is one level that I think is meant to be high noon, and has a lot of bright white, but even that level is not that bright for me, I don't think. When I get home I can try and take a pic.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 11:08 AM   #242
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Damn good.

I can run it in 1920x1200, 16xQ AA, highest texture and detail settings, v-synch forced through the control panel and it NEVER drops below 60fps.

That's with physics off... with them on, I run at the same settings only 8xAA, and I get 30-40 fps with some minor drops here and there.

Honestly I think, despite getting them running well, I am going to turn off physics and complete the game at max settings with everything else. The added-on tarps and such look... well, added-on, and not worth the occassional perormance hiccups.
Do you think I would be able to set my onboard GPU as a physx accelorator? It's an nvidia 7100.
Old 01-18-09, 11:19 AM   #243
Koko56

Quote:
That does look a little too bright... there is a brightness setting in the game though, maybe play with it?

There is one level that I think is meant to be high noon, and has a lot of bright white, but even that level is not that bright for me, I don't think. When I get home I can try and take a pic.
I tried to adjust the contrast and brightness, but then it does not look right either, As if it loses some of the vibrancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Do you think I would be able to set my onboard GPU as a physx accelorator? It's an nvidia 7100.
Not sure about that... not sure but a gpu has to be 8 series and up as well as having 256mb of RAM or more.
Old 01-18-09, 11:34 AM   #244
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

That white screenshot is about right. The game is a bit overbright at times especially when the scene is mostly white like that one. Messing with the brightness and contract doesn't do much. You're pretty much stuck with the way it looks.

On the irritating thing, yeah I got irritated a few times in the jumps/timing. I agree that sometimes it is hit or miss and sometimes not consistent. A quick save would have made things much better for me (would have cut the irritation down considerably being able to go back right before the jump). Another thing that could make it irritating is the type of game it is. It is fast paced and when being chased (which is pretty much through the whole game), you don't have much time to admire the scenery, it's run jump run and don't think about fighting cause you can't win (unless it's scripted). For me, if the game would have had the option to be able to fight my way out of every situtation if I chose to do so (and then run jump at my own pace), I would have enjoyed the game more. The game character is not much of a fighter, she's a runner. I would have prefered her being a bit more bad ass and had more access to fighting moves and weapons (like "you want a piece of me, I'm right here"). A la Oni or Rayne or Lara.

On the physx thing. I'm glad I finally got it working right cause for me, the game is more immersive with it on. I don't like playing a game not being able to see everything that is there (especially in a short game like this). A lot of things are missing in the view with physx off.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 11:42 AM   #245
wrathofgod

Played through it twice already. It was MUCH less frustrating the 2nd time though.

Overall, I really enjoyed this game. It was everything I thought it would be and a bit more. The movement was better (smoother) than I thought it might be. I'm sure I'll play through it a few more times.

Enjoying the time trials also.
wrathofgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 12:28 PM   #246
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

I found it annoying that you can't skip the EA/DICE intro movie, but it can be disabled. Find the TdEngine.ini file, which is located (at least on Vista) in My Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\TdGame\Config

Scroll down to this part and put a semi-colon where indicated

[FullScreenMovie]
;StartupMovies=StartupMovie

One thing that actually seemed to help performance was disabling frame rate smoothing. In the TdEngine.ini file, it's located here:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE

Default value is TRUE

Lastly, if you're running D3DOverrider to enable triple buffering with vsync, you can create a profile for the Mirror's Edge .exe file. But you have to make sure that the "Enable LoadLibrary hooking" box is unchecked or else the game will crash at startup.

Hope these help.

BTW, this game is much better on the PC than PS3. Graphics are better, performance is smoother, and it's much easier to control using a 360 pad. If I play through it again, I'll try using the keyboard and mouse.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 12:49 PM   #247
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
On the physx thing. I'm glad I finally got it working right cause for me, the game is more immersive with it on. I don't like playing a game not being able to see everything that is there (especially in a short game like this). A lot of things are missing in the view with physx off.
They're not really missing though, the game was designed and made to look how it looks with them off... they were added on later, and in many cases (in my opinion) it shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
BTW, this game is much better on the PC than PS3. Graphics are better, performance is smoother, and it's much easier to control using a 360 pad. If I play through it again, I'll try using the keyboard and mouse.
You should definately try KB&M, as I find it MUCH better for the game than either pad.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 01:15 PM   #248
Koko56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
That white screenshot is about right. The game is a bit overbright at times especially when the scene is mostly white like that one. Messing with the brightness and contract doesn't do much. You're pretty much stuck with the way it looks.

On the irritating thing, yeah I got irritated a few times in the jumps/timing. I agree that sometimes it is hit or miss and sometimes not consistent. A quick save would have made things much better for me (would have cut the irritation down considerably being able to go back right before the jump). Another thing that could make it irritating is the type of game it is. It is fast paced and when being chased (which is pretty much through the whole game), you don't have much time to admire the scenery, it's run jump run and don't think about fighting cause you can't win (unless it's scripted). For me, if the game would have had the option to be able to fight my way out of every situtation if I chose to do so (and then run jump at my own pace), I would have enjoyed the game more. The game character is not much of a fighter, she's a runner. I would have prefered her being a bit more bad ass and had more access to fighting moves and weapons (like "you want a piece of me, I'm right here"). A la Oni or Rayne or Lara.

But then you might not be able to jump as awesomely....

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
I found it annoying that you can't skip the EA/DICE intro movie, but it can be disabled. Find the TdEngine.ini file, which is located (at least on Vista) in My Documents\EA Games\Mirror's Edge\TdGame\Config

Scroll down to this part and put a semi-colon where indicated

[FullScreenMovie]
;StartupMovies=StartupMovie

One thing that actually seemed to help performance was disabling frame rate smoothing. In the TdEngine.ini file, it's located here:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE

Default value is TRUE

Lastly, if you're running D3DOverrider to enable triple buffering with vsync, you can create a profile for the Mirror's Edge .exe file. But you have to make sure that the "Enable LoadLibrary hooking" box is unchecked or else the game will crash at startup.

Hope these help.

Or you could just go into "Mirror's Edge\TdGame\Movies" and delete the start up movie.

Also - wanted to say this for a while. There is a film called District 13 and I find a lot of similarities in both the game and the film. For example, when I was watching the first chase of the film I though "Mirror's Edge Mirror's Edge Mirror's Edge Mirror's Edge" (having ideas about the game from the trailers) and some of the ambiance music has a "French" tint to it, which is present in the film as well as being a part of the parkour culture.

Old 01-18-09, 02:31 PM   #249
AdamK47

Quote:
They're not really missing though, the game was designed and made to look how it looks with them off... they were added on later, and in many cases (in my opinion) it shows.
Couldn't get it working I take it? You should try the mall level with it on. Simply amazing!
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 02:37 PM   #250
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
no, 8 series card and has to be more then 256mb of ram
Old 01-18-09, 03:52 PM   #251
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64 View Post
Does the game get irritating at any point??
I didn't find to to get irritating at any point really... not long enough to get irritated I guess :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-09, 04:38 PM   #252
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
no, 8 series card and has to be more then 256mb of ram
Bah, Oh Well. Doubt I would miss the physx effects since I have already played the game on the PS3. We'll see how the game runs on my HTPC when I get my GTX260 at the end of this week.