Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-03, 02:17 PM   #1
Cubert

Unhappy Gamma&contrast control not available

I have resently updated a DELL demension 700mhz XPS using TNT2 32 meg video card to RedHat 9.0 and sucessfuly installed the nvidia 1.0-4362 driver.

After Install I lost the ability to adjust gamma and contrast.

How can I fix this (or can't I )?

I have my monitor cranked up as far as it will go and it is still to dark when using XINE or playing 3D enabled games.

I have attached my X86Config file for review..
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (3.1 KB, 120 views)
Cubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-03, 05:37 PM   #2
bwkaz

For the 3D games, you can use xgamma -gamma 1.7 (or 3.0, or whatever) to get a decent gamma level.

I don't know if that works with the video players, though. I do know that the TNT doesn't support the XV_BRIGHTNESS extension for XVideo, so that might be part of the issue. But XVideo shouldn't be affecting games.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-03, 09:29 PM   #3
Petersen

Hello!

xgamma is for gamma control.
But where is brightness control and where is contrast control with the nvidia drivers for linux?

I mean, controls straight from the desktop, not simply from within mplayer, xine etc.

The windows drivers have had this feature for a long time, why does nvidia not care about providing these features for linux? I really can't understand this, and I already repeatedly asked this question in this forum.

Many monitors are way too bright with no sufficient brightness/contrast control via monitor knobs, keys etc.

In windows, the nvidia drivers can be controlled via software settings (from the nvidia display driver settings), or even better via additional tools like powerstrip.

Under linux, there is nothing to control brightness and/or contrast, there is just xgamma and nothing else (well, there is some basic new program, xbrightness, but it interferes with xgamma!)

Nvidia, do you listen?
Please, finally implement brightness/contrast/gamma control in your linux drivers. Thank you.

Regards
Petersen
Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-03, 07:44 AM   #4
Cubert

Cool

Well seems some people are not to happy with this lack of control over video settings, Nothing in this world is truly free (I paid $0 for software so I can go spend $50 on a Gforce4 440 and get the control back and even boost my video preformance since there was no easy answer.)

I used the xgamma and worked great for desktop but does nothing for xine video / mplayer as mentioned above in first reply.

Nvidia Guys we do appreicate your efforts... (Can't complain when it's free)
Cubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-03, 03:00 PM   #5
Petersen

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubert
Well seems some people are not to happy with this lack of control over video settings, Nothing in this world is truly free (I paid $0 for software so I can go spend $50 on a Gforce4 440 and get the control back and even boost my video preformance since there was no easy answer.)

I used the xgamma and worked great for desktop but does nothing for xine video / mplayer as mentioned above in first reply.

Nvidia Guys we do appreicate your efforts... (Can't complain when it's free)

Well, I see a right to complain! I bought an nvidia card, so I expect decent drivers, and not only for windows.

Of course, I am glad that there are linux drivers after all, and even if they appear to be "free", I am also free to utter criticism or wishes.

And I really don't understand why brightness and contrast controls are still not in the linux drivers, after so many driver versions until today!?

Some people can't even use X Windows or linux, because there screen is too bright and cannot be dimmed enough without software controls. I am, luckily, not one of them, but I have been for a while. With my new monitor, the situation is better, but this is not the case for everyone.

Nvidia, please, implement this feature.

Regards
Petersen
Petersen is offline   Reply With Quote