Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-28-09, 11:49 AM   #73
Remmy1

Default Re: GTX 295 and Microstuttering

Ended up going with a GTX 285 SC. Can't wait to try it out and who knows maybe I'll step up to a 295 when the time comes, if the 300 series isn't out yet.
Corsair HX 1000 Watt
EVGA GTX 260s (Core 216s) In SLI...Edit: One card sold because of intolerable Microstutter
Apevia Case
Samsung 24" Monitor
Remmy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-09, 05:14 PM   #74
Thoreau

Well, solving a problem isn't possible with people who can't replicate it. No offense, but looking at many of the GTX 295 benchmarks on youtube you can clearly see the microstutter problem. Whether you crank your card up to max resolution to expose the problem is another issue.

Outside of the realm of your personal experiences I see few GTX 295 cards being sold on the internet now. They have been effectively yanked by newegg. Set as discontinued. Apparently, there aren't enough people out there that haven't seen the issue to make it profitable.

Can an Nvidia representative comment on this? Is it a design flaw, and if so when will it be corrected. The market has already corrected for it. I'm hoping that the issue will be acknowledged and corrected on Nvidia's part.

While the frame rates are excellent with the 295, that doesn't mean squat if it's flapping all over the place. I am concerned with this because I am in the market. And the problems are:

A. Microstutter
B. Heat
C. Mysteriously pulled/no availability after it was once available
D. No Nvidia acknowledgment on the issues above

That's it. While I appreciate that some folks don't have issues at this game on that resolution, that isn't good enough. When coughing up a grand, it better work as well or better than a $100 card. Don't take this as a personal affront on your coolness or lack thereof. That isn't what this is about. It's an investment, and if it's broke I need to know how it's going to be resolved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHPtbDz7xgE
Thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-09, 07:05 PM   #75
Chevyman03

I just wanted to chime in as I have a gtx 295 and have no MS problems. I have played alot of the newer games and have no complaints.
Chevyman03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-09, 07:25 PM   #76
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

I got rid of my GTX 295. Im not sure if it was the microstutter, but it was just an awful card and did not give a smooth experience.
Old 04-26-09, 07:30 PM   #77
methimpikehoses

I love my 295. Came from a 4870 and a 4870x2, and it destroys both of them.
Old 04-26-09, 09:42 PM   #78
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
That's it. While I appreciate that some folks don't have issues at this game on that resolution, that isn't good enough. When coughing up a grand, it better work as well or better than a $100 card. Don't take this as a personal affront on your coolness or lack thereof. That isn't what this is about. It's an investment, and if it's broke I need to know how it's going to be resolved.
If a couple Youtube videos have you that scared versus the many folks (myself included) who aren't experiencing any issues like this, then buy something else. It's no skin off anyone's rear end what you choose to do with your money or not. We can only speak from what we personally have experienced. If it would make you feel more comfortable going with a GTX 285 SLI setup or a Radeon 4870 x2 Crossfire, then by all means do it.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 01:13 AM   #79
m3dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob View Post
I got rid of my GTX 295. Im not sure if it was the microstutter, but it was just an awful card and did not give a smooth experience.
most likely it was microstutter. some people just dont mind it.
m3dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 05:17 AM   #80
Dreamweavernoob
Desperate code

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dude View Post
most likely it was microstutter. some people just dont mind it.
Yeah probably was

Not pissing on the card as some people like it alot, but for me it was the worst buy ever.

Old 04-27-09, 08:28 AM   #81
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob View Post
Every dual Nvidia card I've ever owned was like that it just wasnt smooth. I stick with the fastest single GPU now. I'm much happier

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 01:19 PM   #82
xorpos

I use to have 2 8800GTX of different brand on at Abit IN9-32X (680i) board, and it where ok with some or no stutter. Then when newer games came out it would just get worse, because of lower framerates i guess. My 8800GTX SLI setup would do 120 fps in Battlefield 2 and everything were just flying, but as newer games came out the Frames would drop to around 60 or below. Now everything is stuttering below 60 fps and especially in Farcry 2. That game is just killing my SLI experince...

But wait . . isn't 30 fps like fluid on a single card.... (yanking one of the GTX's and no more SLI for me ..)

My point is ... before i would never drop below 60 frames and therefore would never experience the problem (I need 60 fps to be stutter free) ... Today an GTX 295 is more than enough for 60 frames .. but some day that is going to change and you better be able to STEP UP....

Just my 2 cents..
XFX 8800 GTX (Seated)
INNO3D 8800GTX (On the shelf doing no good)
BFG AGEIA Physx
Audigy 2 soundcard
SilverStone OP1000 PSU
xorpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-09, 01:51 PM   #83
Dr.Nick

Don't think it works like that. There are a few games I cannot run at 60fps and there is no stuttering. Its funny because when I got the card it was like I dipped my mouse in oil and was sliding it on glass. Every day it still impresses with how fast, smooth, and cool it runs. Wondering if all those with problems had some of the same hardware. Maybe try to find something in common that is the cause..
Old 04-27-09, 02:30 PM   #84
xorpos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Nick View Post
Don't think it works like that. There are a few games I cannot run at 60fps and there is no stuttering. Its funny because when I got the card it was like I dipped my mouse in oil and was sliding it on glass. Every day it still impresses with how fast, smooth, and cool it runs. Wondering if all those with problems had some of the same hardware. Maybe try to find something in common that is the cause..
Maybe I am wrong about the 295 GTX .. I hope so. But the stutter is very real for my configuration. Some might find my insight usefull, some might not.

By the way .. If it looks like a rat and smells like a rat, it just might be a mouse dipped in oil. I would deffenetly keep an eye on it
XFX 8800 GTX (Seated)
INNO3D 8800GTX (On the shelf doing no good)
BFG AGEIA Physx
Audigy 2 soundcard
SilverStone OP1000 PSU
xorpos is offline   Reply With Quote