Old 05-29-03, 10:14 PM   #1
DB7654321

Default Complete system lockup when starting X with the Nvidia drivers

I'm having major issues with the nvidia Linux X drivers... System info:

Epox 8RDA+
XFX Geforce4 4200 8x 128MB
Debian Unstable (Sid)
Kernel 2.4.20

I followed the driver install instructions, the install and compilation went without error and modified my XF86Config-4. After loading the nvidia module and starting X, the screen goes black and a second later, everything freezes... Not even numlock will work. I have to hard stop the system. I have tried recompiling the kernel and the drivers with gcc-3.3 and 2.95 to no avail. I've tried disabling 8x AGP mode in the BIOS...No change. This behavior happens on (at least) the last two Nvidia driver releases -- those are all I've tried. Absolutely nothing appears in the XFree86 log when it starts and crashes... It's like it didn't even get that far. However, if I use the nv driver (not the nvidia one), X will load.

I don't know what else to do... I only bought the Ti4200 based on the availability of Nvidia's linux drivers. What do I need to do to get this fixed? Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log xf86config-4.log (3.0 KB, 141 views)
DB7654321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-03, 01:04 AM   #2
DB7654321

I should note, I'm using Xfree86 4.3.
Old 05-30-03, 04:12 AM   #3
aliali

I've got X4.3 on mdk 91 witout any probs. This is the version that comes with Mdk91 not an upgrade. It sound like an Xfree86 config prob. Hve you got nvidia in the driver line? eg my device section has
Section "Device"
Identifier "device1"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce2 DDR (generic)"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DPMS"
and the module section is
Section "Module"
Load "dbe" # Double-Buffering Extension
Load "v4l" # Video for Linux
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx" # 3D layer

You must have the Load "glx" bit and you must NOT have Load "dri" or Load "GLcore" .
Hope this helps
aliali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-03, 04:13 AM   #4
aliali

OOps this is of course for a GF2 not a GF4. Also try running ldconfig and depmod -a. Also my /etc/modules.conf has alias /dev/nvidia* nvidia
This is with the 4363 drivers installed from the binary on Mandrake 9.1.
Of course the prob may be that you are using an unstable version of Debian. This is not a good idea if you want a stable system.

Last edited by aliali; 05-30-03 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-30-03, 07:48 AM   #5
moali

Default Re: Complete system lockup when starting X with the Nvidia drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by DB7654321
I'm having major issues with the nvidia Linux X drivers...
Unfortunately same here.

My System:
Acer Travelmate 634 Notebook
(Chipset ALi 1535,
NVidia Gforce 2 Go 100)
Suse 8.1
Kernel 2.4.21-pre3
XFree 4.3.0
NVidia 4363
gcc 3.2

LCD turns completely black (backlight off); system remains in this state.

Attached my XFree86-0.log

moali

Last edited by moali; 05-30-03 at 08:15 AM.
moali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-03, 08:16 AM   #6
moali

My log.
Attached Files
File Type: log xfree86.0.log (28.6 KB, 155 views)
Old 05-30-03, 09:36 AM   #7
TRON21Net

Hell guys I've been having the same freakin problem for the past 4 months and I've yet to get it figured out. I say Nvidia's drivers just plain suck ass. When I use vesa or nv my machine works fine, but no gaming. So I've been trying so hard trying to get it working and still system locks up when nvidia's driver is setting my resolution.

I think nvidia needs to wake up and quit day dreaming and fix this annoying crap. Just look at them they even had to basically recall their last nForce drivers because it killed everyone's machine. And every, I mean every new driver nvidia puts out it works a **** load worse than before. Come on nvidia don't your developers know anything about reliablity or actual field testing?, we aren't you freakin alpha testers you know!

Yet they bitched about how ATI was cheating during that 3DMark test, please.... They just know how to actually program their drivers and you just plain suck ass. I'm no ATI fan and still hate their cards currently now since they've yet to support OpenGL by spec correctly. But geez, ATI wooped nvidia by actually knowing what they're doing when it comes to driver support. Sure their Linux drivers aren't that good or existant, but at least they have any working drivers.

I know I'm just having a pissy fit, but I am really sick to death with these games nvidia keeps playing with their customers who've been with them for years and they just turn around and bite us in the ass. I'm just waiting for someone to file a class action lawsuit again nvidia for providing zero stable drivers and allowing their developers to create such horribly harmful software that ruin people's machines. It makes me wonder if nvidia fired their real developers and hired these idiots from India. Ohh by the way, nvidia's nForce2 ain't worth the problems it comes with and I don't care about the comments from those very few who actually got it working properly if any at all.
Old 05-30-03, 01:07 PM   #8
DB7654321

aliali, I've tried changing the XF config in various ways, but, nothing makes a difference. I'm giving up on the nvidia drivers for the time being. nv works fine.

Don't be so quick to bash the nvidia developers...Many people use these drivers with success. Hardware companies writing decent linux drivers are rare...From what I can tell, nvidia DOES write exellent drivers, however, a few problems will inevitably remain. It's very possible that the issue I'm experiencing has something to do with the mobo or other hardware. Give the guys a break, will you?

Old 05-30-03, 03:32 PM   #9
Campos

Hello to all

One more here with the same problem (black screen, and freeze) for the past ....6 months (since Mandrake 8.2)
The bizarre thing is if i change to Red Hat 8 or with the installation drivers all works fine!!
I've searched in all the world forums, tried all the tips or advices...i guess, and nothing!!!!

AMD 1800
GeForce ti 4200
Mandrake 8.2, 9, 9.1
Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-03, 07:13 PM   #10
aliali

Moali. I notice that your log shows apm failed. Maybe this is part of the prob? I know a lot of ppl have had trouble with apm and have disabled it.
Also which drivers are you all using? I had a bit of trouble with the Nvidia RPM's on mdk9.1 so started using the source tarballs. Don't forget you need to install the driver then GLX. Also if you install Mesa after the Nvidia drivers it seems to stuff the nvidia drivers or GLX.
Also are you using agpgart?
From the nvidia readme--Option "NvAGP" "integer"
Configure AGP support. Integer argument can be one of:
0 : disable agp
1 : use NVIDIA's internal AGP support, if possible
2 : use AGPGART, if possible
3 : use any agp support (try AGPGART, then NVIDIA's AGP)
Please note that NVIDIA's internal AGP support cannot
work if AGPGART is either statically compiled into your
kernel or is built as a module, but loaded into your
kernel (some distributions load AGPGART into the kernel
at boot up). Default: 3 (the default was 1 until after
1.0-1251).
So check you are not trying to load both. I have just installed the latest driver 4363 from the nvidia binary without a prob. May be worth a try. Also it could be worth checking the bios to make sure agp is the first video device not pci (assuming agp cards of course). Long shot I know but worth a check as I have seen this cause probs in win and linux.
Old 06-01-03, 01:39 AM   #11
moali

aliali,
thanks for your hints.

The question why apm fails on X-launch is quite simple: The machine has ACPI.

The AGP-Option: Well, I don't think that my problem is AGP-related. Older nvidia-drivers work without this issue (unfortunately not without another one) - I experience no lockup on X-launch. I did no changes to the kernel since then...

moali
Old 06-01-03, 03:46 AM   #12
aliali

MMMMM. Im at a bit of a loss, I just installed mdk9.1 for a friend on an Athlon xp2400 with a via chipset and a GF4 mx440. I installed the latest driver using the binary that Nvidia now provides. modified the XFree86config-4 file and rebooted without a hassle. Got Descent3, Shogo and Tuxracer running without a hitch. If I get time in the next day or so I will chuck a spare drive in my box that has a GF4 ti4200 and do a quick and dirty install to see if I get the same prob as you.