Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-03-03, 03:01 PM   #25
Emphroon

It seems that the "noapic" trick is working for your mobo. But is it also working for the Epox 8RDA+?
Emphroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 03:41 PM   #26
Psychobudgie

Until I see a response from someone who is using one, I do not know. However so far I know for definate that it has worked on Jetway, ABit, Asus and Gigabyte boards with a variety of nVidia Cards. Won't know until someone tries it.

Regards,

Psychobudgie
Psychobudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 04:13 PM   #27
Aldi

Hi, I'm Albert
I'm running a Mandrake 9.1 on two physical identical machines (Athlon XP1800, Board K7S5A), *except* the graphic-card:

On my (Alberts) machine a GeForce 4 Ti 4200 is build in, on my wifes machine a GeForce 2MX400 is working.

Now what is interesting: The GF2MX400 works with the downloaded NVidia-Drivers (1.0-4349) perfectly well - 3D-Acceleration is not a problem - also startup and shutdown works fine.

The same goes for my machine for the time I used the same graphic-Card. Now i upgraded to a GF4Ti4200 and I've got the problems, some of you also have.

If I activate the "nvidia"-Driver in XF86config-4 the 3D-Acceleration works, but there is no! chance for a clean shutdown. Neither is it possible to turn back to a console (Ctrl-Alt F1). Whenever I try this, the system freezes with a blank screen. No chance to get a remote access to the machine.

The only possibility to get this machine working, is to use the "nv"-driver without(!) 3D-acceleration :-(

I attached an archive with three folders,:

GF2MX400with3Daccel (works perfectly well with 3D-Acceleration)
- nvidia-installer.log
- XF86Config-4
- XFree86.0.log

GF4Ti4200with3Daccel (works perfectly well with 3D-Acceleration but crashes on reboot)
- nvidia-installer.log
- XF86Config-4
- XFree86.0.log

GF4Ti4200without3Daccel (works perfectly well without 3D-Acceleration)
- XF86Config-4
- XFree86.0.log

anybody an idea?

EDIT: maybe something I should mention: the computer works fine, booting with Windows ME and the NV-drivers

Greets, Albert
Attached Files
File Type: zip mandrake91-k7s5a-athlonxp1800.zip (22.8 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by Aldi; 06-03-03 at 04:21 PM.
Aldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 04:15 PM   #28
Aldi

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychobudgie
Until I see a response from someone who is using one, I do not know. However so far I know for definate that it has worked on Jetway, ABit, Asus and Gigabyte boards with a variety of nVidia Cards. Won't know until someone tries it.

Regards,

Psychobudgie
I tried it, but black-screen at startup (never had that before!) was the result

Greets, Albert
Aldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 05:13 AM   #29
Psychobudgie

Just a note, the fix didn't work at first for me however as it has since worked after a clean install I put it's failure down to me trying every nvidia release under the sun and every conceivable xfree option. Basically my drivers and config where that broken by the time I first tried it that not even Jesus himself could probably have got it working.

Reinstalled cleanly, did the fix from the off and voila it worked first time. Headaches and bouts of Tourettes have now ceased.

If it doesn't work for you I am all out of ideas. Sorry and good luck in finding a solution.

regards,

Psychobudgie
Psychobudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-03, 03:16 PM   #30
DB7654321

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but, I think this may be of use to some people...

The Nvidia drivers appear to be working for me, now! I flashed my BIOS with the new Epox release (the official one for June, on the Epox site), installed the Nvidia drivers and everything is functioning. I didn't even have to change any IRQ settings. Give it a try if you're having problems with the RDA+ and the Nvidia Linux drivers.
DB7654321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-03, 05:02 PM   #31
Gyokuran

A suggestion for all those who have turned ACPI off:
It should suffice to turn off the ACPI-pci-handling; the quite useful ACPI-CPU-Power-Management should remain enabled. It effectively can cool the CPU down during idle states.

In order to do that just write "pci=noacpi" into lilo.conf (or during boot-time) instead of "acpi=off".
Gyokuran is offline   Reply With Quote