Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-17-09, 08:46 AM   #1
Quantumstate

Default Myth Weird Behavior With VDPAU

Running Myth trunk 19669 and 180.22, and have frontend Setup|Setup|TVSettings|Plaback|{3rd screen} set up as a VDPAU profile. (> 0 0 vdpau vdpau) Watching any ATSC recording is usually fine, except when there are video breakups as when I get bad reception. This often happens because I have a weak signal on certain channels so I imagine there are broken packets during those intervals.

But VDPAU can't tolerate these and crashes out of the frontend entirely with a segfault. It's been necessary for me to switch back to the CPU++ profile so I can watch some shows. Can VDPAU be made more tolerant?

Another question: When I set Live Preview to use hardware acceleration, the whole screen turns blank green until I arrow up or down and then the display comes partially back with still green background. This only happens with the VDPAU profile and with HA of Live Preview. Any idea why?

Also, in case anyone knows, Myth is not turning back on my DPMS when I exit properly. Any idea why?
Quantumstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-09, 10:15 AM   #2
markkendall

Default Re: Myth Weird Behavior With VDPAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumstate View Post
Running Myth trunk 19669 and 180.22, and have frontend Setup|Setup|TVSettings|Plaback|{3rd screen} set up as a VDPAU profile. (> 0 0 vdpau vdpau) Watching any ATSC recording is usually fine, except when there are video breakups as when I get bad reception. This often happens because I have a weak signal on certain channels so I imagine there are broken packets during those intervals.

But VDPAU can't tolerate these and crashes out of the frontend entirely with a segfault. It's been necessary for me to switch back to the CPU++ profile so I can watch some shows. Can VDPAU be made more tolerant?

Another question: When I set Live Preview to use hardware acceleration, the whole screen turns blank green until I arrow up or down and then the display comes partially back with still green background. This only happens with the VDPAU profile and with HA of Live Preview. Any idea why?

Also, in case anyone knows, Myth is not turning back on my DPMS when I exit properly. Any idea why?
As a first port of call, you need to post these questions to the mythtv-users list. Your second question is probably (and your first may be) a mythtv issue.
markkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-09, 11:32 AM   #3
Quantumstate

Nah, as the first two specifically only happen when VDPAU is engaged, it's to do with the driver.

The third is just in case someone decides to be helpful.
Old 01-17-09, 12:46 PM   #4
gbil

Quote:
Nah, as the first two specifically only happen when VDPAU is engaged, it's to do with the driver.

The third is just in case someone decides to be helpful.
True but NVidia doesn't make mythtv's implementation of VDPAU therefore you should ask mythtv people.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-09, 01:01 PM   #5
Quantumstate

Well see, in compiling Myth you specify --enable-vdpau, which pulls in the nVidia driver's libraries.
Old 01-17-09, 02:44 PM   #6
xianthax

Quote:
Well see, in compiling Myth you specify --enable-vdpau, which pulls in the nVidia driver's libraries.
yea it "pulls in" the libraries but all that does is make the vdpau function calls _available_ to mythtv's code, its completely up to their code to use those calls properly. please note that using vdpau is not just saying "here decode this" its much more complicated for the application to use it properly. so again, your posting in the wrong forum. Its up to mythtv's code to detect reception issues and not pass junk into vdpau calls, junk in, junk out.

cheers,

xian
xianthax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-09, 06:15 PM   #7
Quantumstate

OK, I have now asked on the Myth-users listserv, but all I got was repeatedly derided and attacked for daring to ask my questions. What a sh1thole, if those two are any indication.

I guess I get no help.
Old 01-19-09, 12:55 PM   #8
Stephen Warren

Quote:

This might be a VDPAU issue, or it might be a MythTV issue. Please follow the instructions in the VDPAU problem reporting sticky in this forum to generate the information we need to tell.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote