Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-09, 10:16 PM   #1
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Default Hint on 180.22 driver installation on pure 64bit (custom-made) environment?

Hi,

I would like to make you a question... I recently bought a SFF MiniBarebone from Shuttle, to be precise the XPC SN78SH7, that's equipped with a GeForce 8200/nForce 780a chipset combination, and I would like to get a hint on the installation process of the binary display driver for x86_64 (take into account it's a hint, I don't still have the 'real' machine with me)

My concern is the Linux system I'm going to assemble is custom-made (it's based on CLFS (or Cross Linux from Scratch, for more information)), so I'll be using the latest toolchain components, like binutils-2.19, gcc-4.3.2, glibc-2.9 and the latest available kernel (as the time of this writing, 2.6.28.1) and the main 'problem' is my system will be configured in 'pure 64' mode, that's... my directory structure won't explicitly have a /lib64 directory but a /lib one like if it was a 32bit distro or plainly speaking, a 32bit system.

As I have never experienced the binary installer myself (the last time I had NVIDIA hardware was with a TNT2 and a Pentium3, so that's completely out of scope xD), I would like to know if I have to explicitly enable a symlink in this way...

Code:
ln -sfv /lib /lib64
... for the installer to work, or will the installer play nice with my custom system without making me altering any kind of configuration scheme, script or any form of control procedure?

Another question that comes into my mind is, in the moment the binary display driver gets installed... does it generate the headers for GL/GLU/GLUT? I'm quite interested in OpenGL programming and I know how to install the Cg toolkit (I've done it before in a different system to make the Dolphin emulator work (for example)) along with GLEW and some other development tools, but I feel like a bit scared with the tools or procedures I don't know (I'm quite skilled at compiling and troubleshooting my own systems but it will be my first time with the binary driver)

And the last question is... well... installing the binary driver would be one thing to accomplish but as all my system is custom-made (so I'll have to compile every single package from binutils to the last GNOME package), how many packages do the binary driver actually replaces?

Mesa is the obvious one (I guess) but... what about libdrm? and the other Xorg libraries like libpciaccess, pixman, the Xorg-xserver package itself... how many of them must I skip in the process that are covered by the binary display driver?

Sorry to make a gigantic post out of this, but I don't know how can I do it once I get my hands on my new system...

Can you lend me a hand with this? Any help would be inmensely appreciated

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the long post),
Julio
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 07:09 AM   #2
Lethe

Default Re: Hint on 180.22 driver installation on pure 64bit (custom-made) environment?

By just using a only /lib directory on a true 64 bit system for 64bit libs, you are breaking the FHS - so I guess a few things will break.

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

Specifically:

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#LIB64

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 08:35 AM   #3
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Default Re: Hint on 180.22 driver installation on pure 64bit (custom-made) environment?

Yes, you're right, I was thinking the installer would be something like a console step-by-step installer so it will point you to type where to put the libraries or something similar.

In that case, I guess a symlink won't do any harm to my new system

Thanks for the hint ^_^

Julio
Old 01-19-09, 09:09 AM   #4
Lethe

Well, I guess that _could_ work, but ensure you never do install any 32bit libs... it could get quite a mess.

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 10:31 AM   #5
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Oh, no no, sorry... maybe I didn't expressed myself enough well...

What I mean with the /lib thing is... my system is 64bit from the ground up, there's not any 32bit library or binary, because gcc is specifically instructed to produce any executables or libraries as 64bit objects, so the /lib directory is just 64bit, not bi-arch (it's not a multilib system)

I think I could try to do what I refered in my previous answer, making a symlink and carefully watch the installer output (if any at all), if I don't see any trace of /lib64 I'll remove the symlink, if there is, it will remain.

Julio
Old 01-21-09, 11:31 AM   #6
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Any hint on the X package list to skip with the binary driver installation?
Old 01-21-09, 12:02 PM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

You don't need to skip anything... the NVIDIA installer will back up and replace anything it needs to overwrite. You can skip a few things, though, such as Mesa and libdrm. You can configure the X server with "--disable-glx --disable-dri --disable-dri2" to turn off a few of the dependencies. libpixman and libpciaccess are requirements for the X server to work, though.

The NVIDIA driver does not include GLUT or GLU, but does include the GL headers.

As for /lib vs. /lib64, the ABI requires the 64-bit program interpreter to be located at /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 and that path is hard-coded in the installer binary:
Code:
$ objdump -s -j .interp nvidia-installer 
nvidia-installer:     file format elf64-x86-64

Contents of section .interp:
 400238 2f6c6962 36342f6c 642d6c69 6e75782d  /lib64/ld-linux-
 400248 7838362d 36342e73 6f2e3200           x86-64.so.2.
If that's missing, trying to run it will generate a "no such file or directory" error.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 01:48 PM   #8
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Oh, I see... well.. I guess for GLUT I just need to compile freeglut-2.4.0 but for glu?

Old 01-21-09, 02:34 PM   #9
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
Oh, I see... well.. I guess for GLUT I just need to compile freeglut-2.4.0 but for glu?
Now that you mention it, I guess libGLU is part of Mesa so you'll have to build that after all. I always just use my distribution packages for it, but hopefully you can configure Mesa to just build that and not the rest of libGL that you don't need.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote