Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-09, 09:46 PM   #49
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry
 
Shamrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,612
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
We're talking about operating systems that don't suck.
No, he said Europe has NEVER even made an OS, let alone one that sucks. So, my post is valid. He said they never made an OS. Yes they have.
__________________
They're after me Lucky Charms!

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-09, 10:57 PM   #50
ChAsM
Passionately Objective
 
ChAsM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 43
Default Re: European Union at it again

When Apple ties things together, they're called innovators.

When M$ does it, for software cohesion and to innovate, they're monopolists.

A car doesn't *need* round wheels to run, but ovals don't work as well. Some of you are saying the browser isn't necessary; Of COURSE IT ISN'T!!! It's there because of M$'s planned move into a subscription-based software plan. It's there to make interaction with the OS seemless and consistent.

I don't love M$. But I also see the insane jealousy of other companies wanting handouts. I don't thing that's right, either.

I like linux, as it is and for what it is. I still think windows has a more intuitive GUI and just has better flow to its GUI. Now, the linux community is trying really hard to...<drum roll> duplicate windows. The entire fuctionality of be it kde, gnome, enlightenment, sawfish...they all want to do one thing - be as good as or better than windows. So, they "borrow" M$ OS methodology and incorporate it into linux. And I don't mind that at all. I just don't think M$ should have to reinvent their concept of browser integration because a few less fortunate companies don't have it right yet.

As others have said it, it's really simple...don't buy M$ Windows if you don't like the integration. Or, create a more robust GUI for linux to make it more appealing. I have no problem with command line. I certainly don't want to have to teach it to my 100+ employees.
ChAsM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 03:19 AM   #51
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,869
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
never? Where do you think Linux came from? Linus Torvalds is from Finland, and most distros of linux are from Germany.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Oh ofcourse I know you people here are mostly from the U.S and dont mostly have a passports or think the world revolves around your country. Yes Linus comes from Finland, most of the worlds servers are run on Linux.
Well, you can't really associate linux with any specific geographic port of origin.

For example, Richard Stalin (aka Richard Stallman) believes that his work is what linux is mostly comprised of (vis a vis, the gnu coreutils, which most people who use linux associate with being "linux.") Richard Stalin is a fat communist from Berkely California, so if he is to be believed, then what you see as "linux" is American for the most part.

Technically he would be corect as the gnu coreutils (again, that most people who use linux associate with being "linux" per se) came long before linux did for use in other posix operating systems, and then were later ported for use with the linux kernel, and 99.99% distributions include them and are built around them.

Although I really wouldn't associate the current day coreutils with him as he is more of an armchair general as he doesn't write software anymore, just makes speeches about how everybody should be forced to give their work away for free (in opposition to that of Linus Torvolds views.) But many of the current day developers of the gnu tools, as well as the linux kernel itself, are American.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 03:29 AM   #52
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,869
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yes because those people are used to Windows and you didn't read my point about most of them distros are not even bothered about mass market production, alot of them are made by one a hand full of people.

People didn't return the hardware because of Linux, they did because they are used to Windows and Yes even Windows gets returned.
Actually, in the majority of returns of those netbooks, it was because of linux, the customers just didn't want to take the time to learn a new user interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yes there are about 6 versions of Linux distros that people know You get people all the time asking what version of Windows is best for me. It's funny, alot of companies do alot of different versions of their products, there are lots of Rock bands so your point is not really valid.

So really according to you we should have a couple of every product, only grow 3 types of Apple, really narrow minded way of thinking.
I find it a bit funny how the majority of the people who actually write software that makes up most of the linux operating system aren't as rabidly anti-microsoft as some of the people who barely even know how to use that operating system.

I like Linus Torvalds views on the subject. Software is a tool, not an ideology or a political scene. You build the software to solve problems; to create solutions. Making money on the software, or having the software make money for you, is a good thing. If you don't want to share the source with your customers, that's fine, but its better to do so, so that your customers have more flexibility and can make changes to it as they need rather than having to hope that you might do so one day in an update.

And in his case he says that you can sell anything he writes, but you have to provide the source so that if he likes your changes, he can build on those changes as well.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-09, 10:43 AM   #53
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: European Union at it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK View Post
Actually, in the majority of returns of those netbooks, it was because of linux, the customers just didn't want to take the time to learn a new user interface.



I find it a bit funny how the majority of the people who actually write software that makes up most of the linux operating system aren't as rabidly anti-microsoft as some of the people who barely even know how to use that operating system.

I like Linus Torvalds views on the subject. Software is a tool, not an ideology or a political scene. You build the software to solve problems; to create solutions. Making money on the software, or having the software make money for you, is a good thing. If you don't want to share the source with your customers, that's fine, but its better to do so, so that your customers have more flexibility and can make changes to it as they need rather than having to hope that you might do so one day in an update.

And in his case he says that you can sell anything he writes, but you have to provide the source so that if he likes your changes, he can build on those changes as well.
I agree with what your saying and we Linux users are not all anti Microsoft but like any product, if you get mistreated you dont use it. Microsoft have done this to their customers and the industry, this is one reason why people are more than ever turning to alternatives.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video: Opening Session ' HPC Advisory Council European Workshop News Archived News Items 0 06-17-12 05:10 AM
New Union - Post-Apocalyptic RPG Shooter set in Russia dikinher Gaming Central 5 06-08-12 10:01 AM
Rumour: Ex-STALKER devs form Union Studio, developing Fallout/Rage inspired shooter News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 12:10 PM
Interview: PRACE Scientific Conference at ISC'12 to Showcase European HPC News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 05:30 AM
European regulators offer Google chance to settle antitrust violations News Archived News Items 0 05-21-12 10:10 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.