Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-19-09, 08:50 PM   #1
bin2gray

Default Should I just give up using on-board nvidia with Linux

I know it is not right to complain when you use software others have provided for free but I have had a very frustrating week after buying some new hardware (EVGA nvidia nforce 730a MB with GeForce 8 series GPU, AMD X2 3.1GHz dual-core, and a 32" Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV/monitor). After several installs on Fedora 10 and Ubuntu distros I have a seemingly working system finally on Fedora 10 (in 32-bit) and upgraded to the 180.22 drivers but the frustration remains.

The video performance on things like youtube are not even close to what I had on 5 year old hardware running Fedora 9. No such thing as smooth video now at all - practically unwatchable really. Further, every so often my screen goes dark for a couple of seconds - as if it has temporarily lost the video signal and then comes back. This happens at random moments - sometimes apparently from a key stroke or page scroll, but sometimes when I am doing nothing. [I also can't get sound through my HDMI but have not researched this part much yet.]

Should I just give up and get an ATI or some other video card and forget about using the onboard graphics this MB provides???? All I want is a good web browsing experience - I don't need 3D games or anything extreme here ...

I attached the output of nvidia-bug-report.sh if anybody would be kind enough to look.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (143.4 KB, 79 views)
bin2gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 09:13 PM   #2
pcjason

Default Re: Should I just give up using on-board nvidia with Linux

Search this board, there are a handful of us with the exact same issue and multiple open threads. Bug reports have been filed, reproduction steps posted, all relevant information given, but somehow the nVidia reps always manage to overlook our threads. Funny, isn't it?

So far, the only "solution" for the poor flash performance is to roll back to driver version 173.14.15, but that version is not without it's own problems. I wish we would at least get nVidia to acknowledge the issue!
pcjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 09:25 PM   #3
bin2gray

I have seen several performance posts but thought they all ended with 'just upgrqade to 180.22'.

Have you seen anybody else post here about losing video for brief random moments? If so can you help me find the thread? If it is on here somewhere I don't know how to search for it.

-bin
Old 01-19-09, 09:40 PM   #4
pcjason

Sorry, I haven't heard of anybody with that specific issue. Here are a few of the threads related to 8200/8300 issues that others have been experiencing, maybe you'll read something of interest:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125395
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125410
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125206
pcjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 10:23 PM   #5
bin2gray

Thanks Jason. I looked at the threads - 173 won't work because this is an hdmi only hardware config for me, I turned on 'nopat' in kernel to no avail, and tried disabling harware acceleration in flash. Nothing.

It looks like I will just have to move away from onboard nvidia and get me card from some other vendor.

Does anybody have suggestions on a video card that works with Fedora 10/flash10? I don't need anything fancy - I just want to have a decent web experience with my new hardware!!

-bin
Old 01-19-09, 10:59 PM   #6
alan242

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin2gray View Post
Further, every so often my screen goes dark for a couple of seconds - as if it has temporarily lost the video signal and then comes back. This happens at random moments - sometimes apparently from a key stroke or page scroll, but sometimes when I am doing nothing.
This reminds me of a problem that plagues some ATI Radeon 9000 series boards. When using DVI output at high resolutions, the DVI transmitter used on the boards apparently can't output that much signal so you get lots of blanking. Firefox seems to be a great trigger for this condition. The only fix seems to be to reduce the refresh rate (lower than 60Khz) or use a lower resolution to not put as much load on it. I ended up using Powerstrip on Windows to create a 1920x1200@57Khz modeline with reduced front and back porch that would work without blanks and just occasionally created static on the DFP.

Don't know if that's the same thing you're seeing or not.

Alan
alan242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-09, 11:06 PM   #7
bin2gray

Thanks Alan. I have tried setting it to 50Hz refresh but nothing changes.

Sigh ... So ATI has problems too. Is there any card with HDMI that just works for Linux on simple 2D??? I feel like I just bought hardware 5 years newer than what I had and have taken two steps back in performance. Incredible ...

-bin
Old 01-20-09, 01:11 AM   #8
conky

Are you running compiz? Flash player uses Opengl for video acceleration, and hardware acceleration is disabled if the flash player detects compiz. You can force it to use hardware acceleration by setting OverrideGPUValidation = 1 in /etc/adobe/mms.cfg.

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/2...fg_file_1.html
conky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-09, 05:37 AM   #9
lukeross

Thumbs down Re: Should I just give up using on-board nvidia with Linux

There are several threads about this, and the choices seem to be to downgrade to 173, sacrifice mew features and get fast Flash video, or else suffer blocky, slow, CPU-sucking video. It seems pretty independent of whether compiz is on or off under Fedora 10.
lukeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 08:33 AM   #10
bin2gray

lukeross, what about if I just go back to Fedora 9? I need HDMI and I understand that 173 does not support HDMI.

-bin
Old 01-20-09, 01:58 PM   #11
lukeross

I just tried a quick test under F9, and running the stock kernel with 180.22 under Gnome (no Compiz) and the latest Flash it's exactly the same as under F10 - covered in white blocks, slow and stuttering at full screen.

As moving back from 180.22 to 173.14.15 under F10 solves the full-screen Flash issue, in my mind I'm still putting my money on the nvidia driver doing something differently - whether that's an introduced bug, or a bug fix that's highlighted a bug in Flash. Not sure that's much consolation to those wanting HDMI and/or VDPAU.
lukeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 03:00 PM   #12
zim2dive

FWIW, I got a reply from a developer on a bug report I submitted. They said they were going to try to recreate the problem on their end (ie. I'd guess they set up a system in the lab with the 8200 and/or even more similar to my own.. tho given the reports we see, I think any 8200-based system will suffice).

No further info at this point (its been a week since I got acknowledgment that they had the bug report). Will post more when I know more, but hopefully this means we will have some good news eventually.
zim2dive is offline   Reply With Quote