Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-20-09, 08:07 PM   #1
vizor

Default Next stable release

Hi, guys!

Anybody know when next stable release will come, with fixed issues with s2ram and random screen freeze?
vizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-09, 08:31 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Next stable release

We plan on releasing an updated 180.xx driver, as well as legacy drivers, in the near future. We identified a functional regression in a Linux kernel interface used by the NVIDIA graphics driver's power management code; the combination of this regression and a workaround for another third-party power management bug explains some of the power management problems reported against 180.xx on some kernels. This should be worked around in a future NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 12:55 AM   #3
nevion

Wow, finally huh? Well its great news to see we're getting an updated 180.xx driver (as the new stable, correct?)

ps. Would it be possible for you guys to post either your development schedules (you have something sort of official going on yes?) or the reason why you cannot comment on your development schedules? Maybe even make a dedicated sticky thread? I've never seen the reason why you guys tend to be tight-mouthed so any input back on that would be much appreciated.
nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 01:44 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

None of us on the forum have the authority to make promises about when drivers will be released. Plus, schedules change all the time. If we gave out a date it would probably end up being wrong, which is worse than nothing.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 02:23 AM   #5
Kirurgs

Thanx Aaron!
It seems nVidia is starts to be more talkative :O To me, near future is rather ok, which to me means, max couple of weeks if nothing goes wrong But as we all now, certain things can go wrong and bugs appear, it might be delayed and that's, as I understood, is why nVidia never says a date, which will be changed anyway...
** Homebrew desktop: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition, 4Gb RAM, integrated Radeon HD3300 + discrete Radeon 4850 512M, Windows 7 Ultimate (for games), ArchLinux i686, Gnome, 2.6.29, catalyst 9.4... (this now just rocks in lunix, really! )
Kirurgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 03:13 AM   #6
nevion

I disagree, a disclaimer saying approximate targets is helpful in my opinion and most cycles are never set in stone anyway. Approximate information still contains information, with the disclaimer, this is still valuable and usable. I would just like a sticky thread thats updated once every... driver release at least? Weekly or sub-weekly would be awesome. It should list the biggy issues that will be attempted to solved or have been solved or are in-progress in head/mainline.

I'm HIGHLY interested in seeing nvidia<->community relations getting significantly better, closed source driver or not (and from my eyes this means to make your lives easier as well). I believe that this info along with a rough guestimation of what features/goals are for particular release and release candidates together with a public bugzilla would really streamline the linux communities' collections of bugs and also put an end to the needless bumping competitions and floodouts from the frontpage (newbie threads tend to push too many real threads off the map) and show real issues better (especially if you integrated the click-to-vote-on-issue system (dell ideastorm/ubuntu equivalent), which gives you real data to show to management. just think, real numbers might show you how valuable your department is!). Lastly, as I expected, it seems you guys yourself's are locked down pretty tightly. I'd love to see you granted more authority. Is there anything the community can do or anyone that the community can get in touch with to help/give you these resources?
nevion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 11:54 AM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I'll forward your comments to the appropriate people, but I don't really expect anything to change.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-09, 02:16 PM   #8
dinosaur

Will the next v180.xx release also fix the overclocking problems (Coolbits broken, see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126275 for details) ?
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-09, 07:49 PM   #9
perfectska04

I know Nvidia has its reasons for not giving specific dates for releases, but there have to be other options.

I don't imagine it would be much trouble to have a sticky with with a progress outline.. much like "Next stable released is tentatively planned for week X of month X, features/issues planned for this release are Y and Z. Other issues such as XX will be addressed in a future release in week X, month X."

That way people will at least have a general idea of which problems are being worked on and when they could expect a fix. This would reduce useless bumping of problems that are already being worked on, and only issues that need more information or attention will be at the top of the forum.
perfectska04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 01:46 PM   #10
personman

Is there a difference between the OpenGL 3 support in the opengl 3 beta and the current stable release? Are the additional OpenGL 2.1 extensions from the opengl 3 beta that speed up wine gaming implemented in the current stable, or coming in a future release?

Mostly just curious, nothing I really need to know. Thanks.

-Andy
personman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-09, 04:07 PM   #11
RobotMarvin

Hi.

Is there going to be a fix included for the dreadful random screen freeze bug? Thanks a lot in advance for the information.

Best regards.
RobotMarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 06:11 AM   #12
vizor

May be good idea to release out some minor update for 180.22 with fixes for known bugs. I suggest this because I think we will not see new stable driver until some new features will not be implemented for it.

I.e. how about small bugfix release for 180.22?
vizor is offline   Reply With Quote