Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-09, 12:06 PM   #1
chesterman
Let the **** begins!

Default lsass.exe high disk IO rate

hello people.

first of all, sorry about my poor english. i'm from brazil.

i have a virtualized win2k3 server running some services made by the company that i work.
from about 2 weeks until now, the lsass process started to make huge reads/writes to the disk (he's writing at the same rate as our firebird server!!!) and this is reducing our server performance (since our service is very disk dependent).
i've been searching on google and found that this issue goes back from the win2k days, but microsoft has no report about it. also, no one have found a solution for this.

the virus/malware hypothesis is almost discarted, since this machine have a very restricted access and i've already made the common testes (AV/antispy scan... )

it looks like that this behaviour is more common in machines that have the terminal service enable (this is my case), but i can't shut it down, because this is the only way i have to access this machine.

if someone knows something about this issue that can solve it or at least point me to some direction i'll be very grateful
chesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 01:17 PM   #2
Q

Default Re: lsass.exe high disk IO rate

Why don't you install FreeSSHD. This way you could turn off TS but still have remote command line access using Tunnelier. You could then monitor the difference with TS on and off to see if that is your culprit.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 02:52 PM   #3
chesterman
Let the **** begins!

the machine is on a network that i have no authority and cannot foward more ports for any other service
chesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 02:57 PM   #4
Q

Dang. Can you run Process Explorer and find out more information about the instance of lsass.exe and share it with us?
Q is offline   Reply With Quote