Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-25-09, 04:16 AM   #1
slavagt

Default Cursor moving artifacts in 180.22

Then cursor moving, it's appear some artifacts (you can see many cursors blocks for example). This affecting many program, but this problem is much more visible in xterm. In other programs this artifacts appear as small random parts of cursor, but in xterm it's appear as many cursor blocks which make some part of text fully invisible and this is danger, especially if you edit server configs with vim via ssh More often this problem appear in the xterm window, which connected to other server by ssh. Why I can not understand
You can see this artifacts at the screenshot attached.
If you move mouse to other windows, then back (activate other windows then return back), artifacts disappear.
To reproduce, open several xterm windows at the screen, then connect with ssh to other PC, then open any big text file in vim. Then move cursor right by press right arrow several times.
The problem is appear in NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-180.22-pkg2.run driver. After return to NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-177.80-pkg2.run problem disappear.
I was try to change some options in xorg.conf - this was not help. Also I was try to set Option "SWCursor" "On" - with it is appear other artifacts, which was described in other bug reports in this forum, so I return to Option "HWCursor" "On". My current xorg.conf is attached.

System is Fedora 9 with all last updates, Graphic card is on GPU NVIDIA 8600GT, CPU AMD X2 (x86_64). Compiz as desktop manager. I was also try to change some settings in Compiz, this also don't help with problem. Only "solution" I find, is returning to 177.80 driver version
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nvidia_Cursor_refresh_bug.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	35234  
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg_conf.txt (5.0 KB, 705 views)
slavagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 05:27 AM   #2
Dragoran

Default Re: Cursor moving artifacts in 180.22

Try running compiz with strictBindings (do not enable --loose-bindings)
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 10:27 AM   #3
slavagt

Thank you for answer ! I was try your solution with 180.22 driver. Yes, this help - artifacts disappear, but it's dramatically decrease graphic performance. From 800-900 fps "then iddle" to 48-50 fps ! And from 120-140 then "cube rotate" to 8-12 !!!! Then i moving cursor in xterm in vim left or right, the CPU usage is up to 20-25% ! This is at AMD X2 4000 !
But anyway, very much thanks for your idea ! Then I try to add --indirect-rendering to --loose-bindings (DISPLAY=:0.0 compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --loose-binding --only-current-screen ccp --display &)
The artifacts disappear ! Also it's disappear some plugins "water" for example. But lost in performance is less then 10%.
So the "temporary fix" for this problem is --indirect-rendering.
But anyway, 180.22 have problem, because indirect-rendering is disable some plugins in compiz, and because this problem (cursor moving artifacrts) appear in 180.22 and older 177.80 was not have this problem.
Thank you again for your answer !
Old 01-25-09, 01:40 PM   #4
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavagt View Post
Thank you for answer ! I was try your solution with 180.22 driver. Yes, this help - artifacts disappear, but it's dramatically decrease graphic performance. From 800-900 fps "then iddle" to 48-50 fps ! And from 120-140 then "cube rotate" to 8-12 !!!! Then i moving cursor in xterm in vim left or right, the CPU usage is up to 20-25% ! This is at AMD X2 4000 !
But anyway, very much thanks for your idea ! Then I try to add --indirect-rendering to --loose-bindings (DISPLAY=:0.0 compiz --replace --indirect-rendering --loose-binding --only-current-screen ccp --display &)
The artifacts disappear ! Also it's disappear some plugins "water" for example. But lost in performance is less then 10%.
So the "temporary fix" for this problem is --indirect-rendering.
But anyway, 180.22 have problem, because indirect-rendering is disable some plugins in compiz, and because this problem (cursor moving artifacrts) appear in 180.22 and older 177.80 was not have this problem.
Thank you again for your answer !
Yeah inidirect-rendering works too but it breaks some plugins and sync_to_vblank does not work.

You should also be able to get rid of the artifacts by running
Code:
nvidia-settings -a InitialPixmapPlacement=1
(thats the reason why it works with the older driver it was 1 by default and now changed to 2)
IPP=2 improves perfomance because more 2D operations can be accelerated but this triggers a race condition in the way the DAMAGE extension work and therefor might cause artifacts like this.
Old 01-26-09, 09:47 AM   #5
slavagt

Thank you for answer.
The InitialPixmapPlacement=2 was setting in my xorg config, and it was work fine with older drivers, without such big artifacts as appear in 180.22. But I was try to change to InitialPixmapPlacement=1, and this was not help. I was also try some other options, but any can not help with this artifact problems. Only options which really help without very big lose in performance is --indirect-rendering. Yes, this option is breaks some plugins, but plugins which I really use, is work fine with it.
So, only one real solution for now is indirect-rendering. I hope the Nvidia programmers will be fix this problem in the next releases.
Old 01-27-09, 05:50 AM   #6
slavagt

With 180.25 - the same problem with cursor moving artifacts as with 180.22.
Old 01-27-09, 07:15 AM   #7
Dragoran

InitialPixmapPlacement is NOT an xorg option. You cannot set it in xorg.conf.
You have to use the command I provided in the previous post to set it.
Old 01-28-09, 04:40 AM   #8
slavagt

Thank you ! I was think that this options is passing to driver... My mistakes
Now I set:
nvidia-settings -a :0.0/InitialPixmapPlacement[CRT-0]=1
nvidia-settings -a :0.1/InitialPixmapPlacement[TV-0]=1

and this is really fixed this problem. Thank you very much !