Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-25-09, 04:30 PM   #1
ElderDruid
GTX 260

Default Please advise on PSU problem

I just got a Mushkin XP-800AP PSU, and I'm having a very strange problem where SATA devices will only work off one of the 8 modular connectors.

My case fans work fine from ALL of the modular connectors.

So at this point, I can have my hard drive or DVD drive, but not both.

I've been trying to find a modular connection setup/order that will allow me to power on both the hard drive and DVD drive, but so far no luck.

Once again, there is only one specific modular connector that allows a SATA device to power on. If the connectors are like this looking at them straight on:
1 2
3 4
5 6
7 8

Then connector 5 is the only one that works for SATA devices.

I would say the PSU is bad, but why do the case fans work from all modular plugs?

I did try swapping between a number of different modular cables and also tried an old style molex plug with a SATA power adapter...no dice.

Please advise. Thanks!!
ElderDruid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-09, 05:30 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Please advise on PSU problem

How did you determine only one supports SATA? According to this review...
http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...0ap_800w/3.htm

You should be able to support up to eight SATA devices.
Quote:
In addition to the main plugs, there are the EZ-Plug modular connectors to support hard drives, DVD drives, fans and even more graphics cards. There are eight ports on the power supply for the extra connectors. Included in the box are three SATA cables supporting up to eight devices, two standard 4-pin power cables supporting up to six devices and two floppy drives, and two PCI-Express cables supporting two more 6+2-pin connections.
If you can only power up 1 at a time..I would question the cable first, PSU second. The Hdds and opticals will have a higher power draw than some fans..but that should still be minimal.
Old 01-25-09, 07:43 PM   #3
ElderDruid
GTX 260

Default Re: Please advise on PSU problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
How did you determine only one supports SATA? According to this review...
http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...0ap_800w/3.htm

You should be able to support up to eight SATA devices.

If you can only power up 1 at a time..I would question the cable first, PSU second. The Hdds and opticals will have a higher power draw than some fans..but that should still be minimal.
Well, the optical drive and hard drive will each only work off modular jack/connector #5. Neither will work off any of the other connectors. But as I said, the case fans will work off any of the modular jacks.

Strange stuff.
ElderDruid is offline   Reply With Quote