Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-26-09, 05:55 AM   #1
terraform

Default ScreenSaver Problem

Hi there,

I have the following problem.

It seems that after installing Debian and the NVIDIA Driver, the Screensaver starts after the X-Server initializes.
The screen stays black, until the mouse is moved. I am not sure whether this is an issue related to the screen saver or the energy save mode.

We cannot change the setup in the X-interface, because it is a rather minimalistic debian system with just a few components... The following commands are send off without any effect: "xset -dpms" and "xset dmps force off"

The commands have to be executed in the shell. I have the feeling that the proble lies in the energy save mode, so it would be great to know how to turn this feature off completely.

thx
terraform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 06:06 AM   #2
Fackamato
User

Default Re: ScreenSaver Problem

Try reading the sticky posts on how to report a problem, also try reading the NVIDIA readme.
Fackamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 07:35 AM   #3
Big P

Default Re: ScreenSaver Problem

Like said before you should post a bug report, but there are two main ways you would have a screensaver; either DPMS and monitor blanking is enabled in your xorg.conf, or you have XScreensaver installed. You could disable (or remove) Xscreensaver or put 'Option "NODPMS"' in your xorg.conf; or disable blanking by setting the timers to 0 in your ServerLayout section like this.

Code:
        Option          "BlankTime"     "0"
        Option          "StandbyTime"   "0"
        Option          "SuspendTime"   "0"
        Option          "OffTime"       "0"
Also I believe the xset command you are looking for is "xset dpms force on" (to force your monitor to stay on). Finally if you're using a console, you could use "setterm".
Big P is offline   Reply With Quote