Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-31-03, 11:47 PM   #13
c4c

Hehe, I wont touch the issue of driver 'quality'

Just pointing out that with the proper (cha-ching!) motivation, they (and anybody else for that matter) could whip some proper drivers out...

Standard hardware help simplify development as well
c4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-03, 12:08 AM   #14
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Digi... are you suggesting that nforce2 boards are not better than the current amd competiton ?

I will concur that if the via kt600 lives up to [p]review expectations than there is a REAL battle on nvidia's hands... but still currently the best board is the nforce2...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-03, 03:32 AM   #15
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
Digi... are you suggesting that nforce2 boards are not better than the current amd competiton ?

I will concur that if the via kt600 lives up to [p]review expectations than there is a REAL battle on nvidia's hands... but still currently the best board is the nforce2...
With Hammer right around the corner, we don't need another AthlonXP motherboard from VIA. It will all be about who has the best performing Hammer board then. By all accounts it looks like nforce3 will be for Hammers, thank God.

VIA brings out motherboards a dime a dozen...they use basically the same design and tweak it and re-release it over and over and over ad naseum. It's pathetic how a newcomer like nvidia could produce the leading performer for AMD with only its 2nd chipset. Even the first nforce was on par with VIA's KT266A, and if nforce hadn't been delayed so much it would have demolished VIA's lackluster KT266. Ok, I've ranted about VIA enough in the past, so I'll shut up now

Getting back OT, I think NV40 should correct a lot of mistakes that exist in NV3x. So nvidia probably won't have to rely on name brand or driver hacks to win in benchmarks
Old 06-01-03, 04:39 AM   #16
Eymar
GF4 ti4600

Quote:
Getting back OT, I think NV40 should correct a lot of mistakes that exist in NV3x. So nvidia probably won't have to rely on name brand or driver hacks to win in benchmarks
Really shouldn't have taken this long though. I had a little more faith in Nvidia that they would have refocused after 9700Pro was released and put out a product which made no questions as to it being better than the competitior's. However, roadmaps are planned well in advance so I don't know what they could of done in a half year or so. Just think ,the 5800ultra would be considered great if the 9700pro wasn't released (it probably be slower, but less loud and huge). Sure it's IQ perfomance wouldn't be great, but neither would any other card. The last year has just been really surprising, in a good way I guess. This ATI vs. Nvidia fight should be interesting to watch for a while. It be more fun if another challenger steps up to the plate.
Eymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-03, 09:25 AM   #17
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
I didn't mean to imply anything of the type Sazar, I'm pretty much clueless about the state of the art on mobos right now since I don't plan to upgrade that for a bit. (That'll probably change in the next couple of months, I'm gonna start me homework on 'em and begin dreaming up a new rig. )

I was just posting up that ATi is getting ready to crank out some linux drivers and that I hadn't made the connection between linux support and set-top boxes and such which would be a damned good reason to include linux support instead of just "to make the linux hobbyists happy" (<--MY line, and no offense intended to the linux folks...I just haven't had the time to sit down and play with it yet. )

I get now that if their stuff supports linux they could start doing some non-computer products and just start selling some stand-alone stuff. (I'm thinking like a TiVo-clone & mebbe a multi-media entertainment center type box...heck maybe even their own gaming console! )

But I wasn't intended to mean ANYTHING about mobos, and I definately wasn't taking a swipe at nVidia's nForce2 boards...I've heard some damned good things about them. (But I am waiting until ATi's new mobo chipset comes out before deciding which way to jump next.)

Quote:
I can't argue with ya since I ain't really sure what a "kt600" is, but I will take your word for it. I've heard a whole lot of people say nForce2 is currently the best chipset to get, from both fanATIcs and nVidiots.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-03, 09:49 AM   #18
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
With Hammer right around the corner, we don't need another AthlonXP motherboard from VIA. It will all be about who has the best performing Hammer board then. By all accounts it looks like nforce3 will be for Hammers, thank God.

VIA brings out motherboards a dime a dozen...they use basically the same design and tweak it and re-release it over and over and over ad naseum. It's pathetic how a newcomer like nvidia could produce the leading performer for AMD with only its 2nd chipset. Even the first nforce was on par with VIA's KT266A, and if nforce hadn't been delayed so much it would have demolished VIA's lackluster KT266. Ok, I've ranted about VIA enough in the past, so I'll shut up now

I don't dispute the nforce/nforce2 arguments...

the thing with teh kt600 is its performance off the bat... its FASTER than nvidia's new offering... which is quite interesting considering it is single channel v/s dual channel for nforce3 or whatever its called now..

the athlon64 will become the amd desktop cpu of choice eventually but its gonna cost when it first drops..

I have been waiting for it for the past 6 months (notice the cpu/mobo I am running... yup... not fun... need more juice... )

concerning nv40... I would like to see a well engineered part dropped from nviida... one that performs as it is supposed to and w/o the issues surrounding the current FX gpu's..
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-03, 01:43 PM   #19
netviper13
Treehugger

Think of it this way though Sazar: in this current batch of mobos, nVidia has released one main chipset, the nForce2 Northbridge and Southbridge. VIA on the other hand has released the KT400, KT400a, and now KT600, and by the third release of a board, VIA is just barely beating nVidia's original benchmark scores, and that's even with nary decent driver update for nForce2 boards in almost 5 months.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-03, 08:49 PM   #20
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Eymar
Really shouldn't have taken this long though. I had a little more faith in Nvidia that they would have refocused after 9700Pro was released and put out a product which made no questions as to it being better than the competitior's. However, roadmaps are planned well in advance so I don't know what they could of done in a half year or so. Just think ,the 5800ultra would be considered great if the 9700pro wasn't released (it probably be slower, but less loud and huge). Sure it's IQ perfomance wouldn't be great, but neither would any other card. The last year has just been really surprising, in a good way I guess. This ATI vs. Nvidia fight should be interesting to watch for a while. It be more fun if another challenger steps up to the plate.
It's not that easy to correct that many mistakes in a refresh chip.

You have to give nvidia props, they did get the 256bit bus in the NV35, which was the major complaint about NV30- that it's 128bit memory bus was holding it back when all the eye candy was turned up. They also improved shading speed a little. You really can't expect much more from a "simple" refresh.

Now, NV40 will be a new architecture, so all the other complaints about NV3x better damn well be fixed. It is a reasonable expectation.

Old 06-02-03, 04:24 PM   #21
ricercar
fugue master

Has anyone noticed that NVIDIA took Enron's place in the Fortune 500? Perhaps this is irony at it's finest hour.
Old 06-02-03, 04:28 PM   #22
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by ricercar
Has anyone noticed that NVIDIA took Enron's place in the Fortune 500? Perhaps this is irony at it's finest hour.
What is the ironic part?

Nvidias profits are going up faster than ATi's
Old 06-02-03, 04:40 PM   #23
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
What is the ironic part?

Nvidias profits are going up faster than ATi's
Ya gotta give it a few months yet GlowStick, the truth will be revealed at the next fiscal quarter...

Enron shareholders were happy as a clam too...until the bottom fell out on them.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 04:48 PM   #24
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Ya gotta give it a few months yet GlowStick, the truth will be revealed at the next fiscal quarter...

Enron shareholders were happy as a clam too...until the bottom fell out on them.
i can quote thousands of other comapnsy that said they made profit, and then did.

ATi on the other hand, itsnt looking good.