Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-09, 07:01 PM   #1
KeyserSoze

Default Sony Z590, dock, dual link DVI, Dell 3007WFP HC?

I have a Dell 3007WFP HC that requires dual-link DVI to support it's native resolution of 2560x1600. I was assured by a guy at Sony tech support that the Vaio Z590 laptop (which has no DVI connector, only HDMI and VGA), when paired with the VGP-PRZ1 dock (which *does* have a DVI connector) would work as dual-link DVI, giving me 2560x1600 res on my 30" monitor.

However, I tried it in Windows Vista (that came on the laptop), and it doesn't work at 2560x1600, only 1280x800. I spent 2 hours on the phone with Sony, and heard from another guy that the hardware supports dual-link DVI, but the nVidia driver for Vista does not. I have no way of knowing if that's true, they guy could have made it up for all I know.

Does anyone know if the above configuration will work in linux? I tried a Ubuntu live CD (8.10), and I couldn't even get it to detect the presence of the monitor (either through the gui "detect displays" on "change resolution", or through xrandr at the command line), let alone configure it at any resolution. I haven't decided what distro I'd use, I've used Gentoo in the past, but am looking to try something new. However, if this laptop won't work with my 30" monitor, I'll return it and get a Lenovo T400 (which, with the dock, *will* work, as reported by users who have made it work). So I'd kinda like to know if there's a even a chance to make the sony work before trying out a several distros, various kernels and drivers, etc.

Thanks,
Miles
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 07:57 PM   #2
KeyserSoze

Default Re: Sony Z590, dock, dual link DVI, Dell 3007WFP HC?

This laptop has "switchable graphics", with both the intel x4500 and nvidia 9300 being present. I just read a bunch of threads on various forums (including this one) that say it's a huge PITA to get the nvidia 9300 to work under linux, because it's a software switch not a hardware switch like previous vaios, and you need to boot winXP to get the switch in the right state.

So, even if there wasn't the problem of getting dual-link DVI to work, it sounds like this laptop has very poor linux support. Think I'm gonna return it and get a T400. I never much cared for Sony, the only reason I got the Z was because it has a 1600x900 13.1" screen (and it is *beautiful* when you see it running). It's gonna suck going to the 1440x900 14.1" screen of the T400, but at least the damn thing will work right.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote