Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-26-09, 05:14 PM   #1
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Default GTX295's HDMI Only Used When Not In SLI?

I can't wait to hear the logic behind this. I've heard stranger things pan out- not that i can recall one.

But this is a Doozie! I'm open to the explanation. Anyone?

(http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...-gtx295_5.html)

The card is equipped with three connectors for display devices: two DVI-I ports and one HDMI.

The former two are connected to the Master GPU and can be used simultaneously in SLI mode whereas the latter is connected to the Slave GPU and can only be used when not in SLI mode. This odd solution actually negates the value of the dedicated HDMI port. For comparison, this port of the GeForce 9800 GX2 was connected to the Master GPU together with one DVI-I.

What is the porpoise?

There has to be some kind of logical explanation.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-09, 06:01 PM   #2
JasonPC

Default Re: GTX295's HDMI Only Used When Not In SLI?

That is pretty odd. Maybe one day we'll get some drivers that allow outputs to be used by the second card in SLI? Though it took how many years to get dual screen support in SLI..?
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 02:12 AM   #3
ChrisRay

Mainly a multi monitor thing. With Vista it wants both connectors on a single GPU. So it makes it easier for more typical multi monitor setups. The 9800GX2 is a little different as the second DVI adaptor is on the top and has the same limitation.
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 08:54 AM   #4
Bee_Dee_3_Dee
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
That is pretty odd. Maybe one day we'll get some drivers that allow outputs to be used by the second card in SLI? Though it took how many years to get dual screen support in SLI..?
I was interpreting it as meaning that if the HDMI was connected to the Slave GPU it was physically impossible to ever have the HDMI function in SLI Mode.
Bee_Dee_3_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 09:07 AM   #5
Tr1cK
not coming back

So can you use Dualview and SLI at the same time now? That's what has put me off from SLI forever.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 08:12 PM   #6
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK View Post
So can you use Dualview and SLI at the same time now? That's what has put me off from SLI forever.
Yes. There are a couple restrictions. With "Multi" GPU cards. The the second monitor must be connected to the "Primary" GPU Board. IE like the 2 DVI connectors in the picture. With a 9800GX2 you'd have to use the HDMI or an adaptor. With SLI this is a non issue since all ports are connected to the primary card. And you can get 2 monitors with clone/extended desktop with multi GPU. I am trying to get some clarification on the issue. But I am pretty sure the way I described it is correct.

Chris

Just so you know. Nvidia does have a "Help" desk for this issue which explains what I was talking about in a bit less detail.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/n...p?p_faqid=2354
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old 01-27-09, 09:46 PM   #7
Tr1cK
not coming back

Hmm

So it would work on SLI 285s if I hook both monitors to the primary card? I like to play games in fullscreen window whenever possible (like WoW) and have the second monitor to do whatever I want on it like run vent or have a webpage up.
Old 01-27-09, 10:39 PM   #8
JasonPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee_Dee_3_Dee View Post
I was interpreting it as meaning that if the HDMI was connected to the Slave GPU it was physically impossible to ever have the HDMI function in SLI Mode.
Yes exactly. I'm saying maybe one day it will be possible to have outputs also display from the slave GPU? I mean it wasn't that long ago that it wasn't possible to even have dual view.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-09, 10:44 PM   #9
ChrisRay

Quote:
Hmm

So it would work on SLI 285s if I hook both monitors to the primary card? I like to play games in fullscreen window whenever possible (like WoW) and have the second monitor to do whatever I want on it like run vent or have a webpage up.

Actually no. The second monitor will still on but the DirectX app will take control of your mouse. This isnt actually an SLI limitation though. But rather a DirectX limitation. You could however play the game in a full screen window ((across your desktop)) and then still have the ability to span your mouse to another window. With SLI/Multi GPU you have basic multi monitor capabilities, Spanning desktop across multiple monitors, Cloning. ect. But like I said. If your DirectX app requests a full screen. Your mouse gets limited to that screen.

Chris

Quote:
Yes exactly. I'm saying maybe one day it will be possible to have outputs also display from the slave GPU? I mean it wasn't that long ago that it wasn't possible to even have dual view.
I wouldn't count on it the near future.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 01-28-09, 06:46 AM   #10
Tr1cK
not coming back

It sounds to me like nothing is different as long as you don't plan on using more than 2 monitors as they have to use the primary card's outputs. That's great for me as I only use 2. As long as I could enable SLI while keeping Dualview enabled, I'd be a happy camper.
Old 01-28-09, 04:07 PM   #11
ChrisRay

Quote:
It sounds to me like nothing is different as long as you don't plan on using more than 2 monitors as they have to use the primary card's outputs. That's great for me as I only use 2. As long as I could enable SLI while keeping Dualview enabled, I'd be a happy camper.
Yup. Check out this. I did a small part of the dual screen capabilities of the 295 Quad SLI

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=31779

Second post. Multi Monitor has been here for about 5 months but nobody seemed to make a big deal out of it when it came out.

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old 01-28-09, 04:09 PM   #12
Tr1cK
not coming back

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
Yup. Check out this. I did a small part of the dual screen capabilities of the 295 Quad SLI

http://forums.slizone.com/index.php?showtopic=31779

Second post. Multi Monitor has been here for about 5 months but nobody seemed to make a big deal out of it when it came out.
I think it is a big deal. Too many people seem to be content stuck in the confines of one monitor.
TY for the replies and the work you put into this.