Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-03-07, 05:56 AM   #1
Optimummind

Default Can't install Vista Ultimate but can still WinXP Pro on the same PC. Help!

Hi guys,

I have encountered a really frustrating problem and I just can't solve it. Usually, I can find answers to my problems simply by pooling my personal collective experience in troubleshooting or searching Google, but this problem has me totally stumped.

Issue: I CANNOT install Windows Vista Ultimate on my PC but Windows XP Pro installs just fine (both clean install attempts).

Here is my system spec:

*PC #01:

-Gigabyte P35C-DS3R, P35 chipset

-Intel Core 2 Duo, E6600

-eVGA 8800GT KO

-2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800

-Boot drive: WD 30GB, IDE, 7200RPM (purchased back in 2002)

*PC #02:

-ASRock 775Dual-VSTA

-Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

-ATI 1900XT 512MB PCIE

-2x1GB G.Skill DDR2-800

-Boot drive: WD 80GB, IDE, 7200RPM

I just purchased the Gigabyte P35 mobo because my old ASRock mobo doesn't support the new 8800GT series of GPUs (due to the quirky nature of the VIA PT880Pro chipset's implementation of the PCIE standard). I wanted to test out the card by installing it on the Gigabyte mobo and installing Windows Vista Ultimate. When I boot my PC from the DVD disc, the installation takes me beyond the Licensing Agreements and the selection of Language choice. Then at the next step, Vista stops the installation by saying that a driver is missing for my CD/DVD drive. So, I went to Intel's homepage and downloaded the latest INF file. I copied it to a USB flash drive and plugged it into the PC undergoing the Vista installation. Once I pointed Vista to the INF files, the "missing driver for CD/DVD drive" error disappeared.

But the installation stalled again at the next step which said that no hard drives could be detected.

If I boot off the Windows XP Pro CD, XP detects both my optical drives and my hard drives just fine.

I tried to solve this Vista installation problem by booting off the XP disc, entering the Recovery Console, and formatting the HDD with NTFS, typing in FIXMBR and FIXBOOT, then rebooting again with the Vista disc. However, I get stopped at the same stage where Vista says that it can't detect any hard drives.

The weird thing is that when i installed Vista Ultimate on my old ASRock mobo, I didn't encounter those two errors. Everything just installed as it's supposed to be.

What do you guys think is the problem? Why can Vista detect my IDE DVD writer and IDE HDD on the ASRock mobo when undergoing installation but not when I'm installing on the Gigabyte mobo with the same components?

I got so frustrated after a few hours of trying this and that, I just went ahead and installed Windows XP Pro on the Gigabyte mobo then upgraded to the Vista Ultimate from within Windows XP. It was more work and took longer but at least I was finally able to install Windows Vista on my WD HDD.

Anyone know of a solution?

-Optimummind
=eVGA GeForce GTX 570HD SuperClock
=8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
=Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Optimummind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 12:29 PM   #2
conroejoe
*BANNED*

Default Re: Can't install Vista Ultimate but can still WinXP Pro on the same PC. Help!

You can look at that as a blessing in disguise.

Honestly a buddy of mine had the same problem with a GB S3 awhile back. Never could get Vista to install on it, XP however was not a problem. Eventually changed motherboards all other components the same, has never had that problem again.
conroejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-07, 12:59 PM   #3
Revs

Default Re: Can't install Vista Ultimate but can still WinXP Pro on the same PC. Help!

Some mobo's need drivers to be able to see the drives. I had a MSI mobo that I had to install the hard drive drivers during the initial set-up stage. I think it said something like 'Press F6 to install third party drivers' within the first few seconds on booting from the disk.

Maybe the XP disk has the drivers you need on the disk but Vista doesn't. Did you get any drivers on a floppy with the mobo?
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-07, 01:53 AM   #4
Optimummind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs
Some mobo's need drivers to be able to see the drives. I had a MSI mobo that I had to install the hard drive drivers during the initial set-up stage. I think it said something like 'Press F6 to install third party drivers' within the first few seconds on booting from the disk.

Maybe the XP disk has the drivers you need on the disk but Vista doesn't. Did you get any drivers on a floppy with the mobo?
No floppy drivers came in the box. In fact, I don't even have my floppy drive installed anymore. Do you know how to use a USB drive to emulate a floppy drive so that if I stick it in and boot from it, it will say A:\ in DOS mode?

As for the stability and speed of Vista that was installed over a fresh copy of XP, I don't perceive any difference with a clean installed Vista which is a good thing.
=Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Old 11-10-07, 09:15 PM   #5
Yaboze

The Intel website has a boot disk maker for the P35's SATA chipset if AHCI SATA is enabled in the BIOS. I haven't installed Vista on my P35 yet, but I did this with XP to be able to turn on this support.

Once you make the floppy disk (maybe make it on another PC and copy flash drive) you should be able to press F6 and install during the first stage of the Vista install.

The file is called f6flpy32.exe or .zip something like that.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 12:23 AM   #6
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze
The Intel website has a boot disk maker for the P35's SATA chipset if AHCI SATA is enabled in the BIOS. I haven't installed Vista on my P35 yet, but I did this with XP to be able to turn on this support.

Once you make the floppy disk (maybe make it on another PC and copy flash drive) you should be able to press F6 and install during the first stage of the Vista install.

What he said.

I had the same problem and had to break out the old external USB Floppy...
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-07, 06:19 PM   #7
hokeyplyr48
hooah

Send a message via AIM to hokeyplyr48

i had a similar problem with my board. make sure your SATA controller is set to the right type. i.e. like raid or ide or ihcp.
CPU:Q6600 @ 3.5 w/ Ultra 120 extreme|| RAM: 4x2GB G. Skill || Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro || VideoCard: eVGA 260GTX & 7200GS for triple monitoring || Sound Card: Creative X-FI xtremegamer || Hard Drive: 2 x 150GB Raptor in RAID 0 (OS and Program Files) | 1 x 150GB Raptor (User Drive) | 1 x WD 2TB HD SATA II | 1 x 1TB Seagate | 1 x WD 500 GB HD SATA II | 1 x Seagate 400 GB HD SATA II | 1 x WD 160 GB HD IDE (slow, only for storage) || Monitor: Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD, Acer 22" widescreen, & Gateway 17" || Case: Antec 900 || PSU: 1 KW athenatech or force or something PSU || Keyboard: Logitech G15 || Mouse: Logitech MX 518 || OS: Windows 7 Build 7201 x64

Secondary Rig: FX-60, 7900GTX, 2 x 1BG OCZ Platinum, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec 180, XP x32
hokeyplyr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-07, 03:10 PM   #8
hirantha
SUC SUDO

its missing the driver for the DVD ROM? i got the same problem i had a another DVD ROM (lucky) and vista took that one fine... and when you try to install the O/s in RAID drive make sure your first boot device is the hard drive.

Look me up in AION and GW2
Game Tag: Famorak
hirantha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-07, 10:05 AM   #9
conroejoe
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze

I've never had this problem with IDE or AHCI with multiple DS3s, P5b, DS3R and P5B-E now.

You should not need a boot disk for an OS like Vista.
conroejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-07, 01:16 AM   #10
Optimummind

Cool, thx for all the replies. So far, my XP Pro upgraded to Vista Ultimate installation is very stable and running well. In the future, if I run into this problem again with a new mobo upgrade, I'll try your tips.

-Optimummind
=Creative Audigy 2 ZS
Old 12-02-07, 02:31 PM   #11
ido

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48
i had a similar problem with my board. make sure your SATA controller is set to the right type. i.e. like raid or ide or ihcp.
thank you very much!!!!
i changed my raid mode in the bios config to ahci, and the installation worked!!!.
after the installation there was a problem with restarting windows from the restart command the desktop, so i changed the bios config raid mode back to ide, and everything worked like a charme.

thank's a lot hokeyplyr48
ido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 10:24 AM   #12
shaine.r

I am having a similar sort of problem which i just can't figure out! i am currently using xp pro when i try to install Vista i get a blue screen which says i need to disable caching and shadowing, i have no idea what these are if someone could help i would be grateful.

My system spec

MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum motherboard

AMD Phenom 9950 (2.6GHZ)

Sparkle 9600 gt

2.5GB of ram
shaine.r is offline   Reply With Quote