Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-31-03, 02:41 AM   #1
rangerFan

Default nvidia install prrobelms

for some reason my linux machine got screwed up some how part of the problem was my fstab file getting deleted some how and the other was that my GUI desktops stopped working. So what I did was uninstalled the driver and tried to reinstall it.

i ran the .run file that nvidia has on its website and this is the output I get

[root@Rangers rpms] sh NIVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run
Verifying achive integrity... OK
Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 1.0-4363...tar: .
/usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.4363: Wrote only 1536 of 10240 bytes
tar: Skipping to next header
tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
Extraction failed.

Signal caught, cleaning up

any help would be appreciated
rangerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 05:34 AM   #2
gerous

Send a message via ICQ to gerous

hi,
i think what you have to do first is to check the CRC values of both files. If these two differ re-download it from another server, or re-download it from the original nvidia-server. and download till these CRC and Byte Size values match exactly!
Hope that you get a correct download fast

-your gerous
gerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 07:20 AM   #3
bwkaz

Run md5sum NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run, and make sure the output matches this:

Quote:
af579e1b507aad209baa0a776b60a98e NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run
That's what I get when I run md5sum on my copy of the installer, which works fine.

What I don't get is why the "verifying archive integrity" would work OK if the .run file was corrupt. I don't think it should. So either the .run file isn't corrupt (in which case, you should look at your memory and/or IDE interface for issues), or there's a bug in the verification process somewhere.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 02:24 PM   #4
rangerFan

the md5sum value is the same as the one above. I just tried to untar another tar file and i got the wrote only error and the delayed from previous errors error. Could this be a problem with my tar program? If it is a IDE/memory problem I am not sure how to fix it.
Old 06-01-03, 03:41 PM   #5
bwkaz

It might be tar, or it might be your disk, or it might be something else.

Can you copy and paste the error? Or at least write down exactly what it was? ("the wrote only error" isn't extremely helpful, and the second one you're talking about is just a generic "hey, something that I tried to do has failed..." error)
Old 06-01-03, 04:39 PM   #6
rangerFan

the error that I was talking about is in the first post I wrote. And I knew that the second error was a generic error. Yeah I think that my problem might be some other program or tar. I think I am going to reformat the disk. I know this is extreme. I believe that the problem that caused this really screwed up my machine to the point where I have no choice but to reformat.
Old 06-01-03, 05:49 PM   #7
bwkaz

Oh... d'oh!

That does sound like a corrupted archive. But since the md5sum matches, it can't be ... I suppose, yeah, a reinstall might be in order. Or, go to www.memtest86.com and run their memory tester overnight, that might come up with something.