Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-03, 09:20 AM   #1
FantasticRhino

Default 2D acceleration: Let's put it to rest.

I 've installed the latest 4363 driver on a RedHat9 system based on an AMDK6-2 450 with a GeForce 3 Ti 200. I've run a few small 3D related programs and they now appear to use acceleration. However, 2D acceleration still seems non-existant (in fact it seems slower than the stock "nv" software driver that ships with Xfree86).

I know there may have been mentions of this in a few other threads but I haven't really found an answer. Is there 2D acceleration in the Linux driver? Put another way. is it possible to have 2D acceleration in X? Just to confirm, I mean 2D acceleration in terms of the window manager (fast scrolling text in terminals, moving windows around on the screen becomes more responsive and takes up less CPU). *Think of the difference in Microsoft windows when going from the standard VGA driver to the current Detonator.

I've already tried turning on...
Option "RenderAccel" "yes"
but it makes no difference by the way.

Thanks for any answers people can provide.

FR
FantasticRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 05:12 AM   #2
BenjyD

Default 3123 faster

I've read that after the final 3xxx series driver, 3123, NVidia switched to a new 2d acceleration architecture, instead of the standard XAA. This seems to be the case from my log entries. It appears that this new method isn't yet as fast as the older XAA method.

Personally, I've downgraded back to 3123 after using the latest drivers because the 2D is so much faster. For example, scrolling www.penny-arcade.com in Konqueror is jerky under 4363, but smooth under 3123.

Note: Using kernel 2.4.20 from gentoo I had to edit nv.c in the kernel module code to get 3123 to compile: I replaced a pte_offset with pte_offset_kernel, as the name of the function seems to have been changed in the kernel.
BenjyD is offline   Reply With Quote