Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-02, 04:46 PM   #1
Cloral

Default Problem with geforce2 mx 400 and the drivers

When I got my new computer about a year ago, I noticed that no dos programs wanted to run. Even the dos prompt wouldn't work in full-screen. This seemed like a display issue, so I got a older version of the driver pack from my roommate and installed that - lo and behold, dos programs would now work again.
However, I began to notice display artifacts in my 3d games. Most notibly, texture alpha blending didn't seem to be working right, so that textured objects had very hard edges. So when I saw that there was a newer version of the drivers available, I downloaded and installed them. Unfortunately, this brought back the dos problem.
So I tried to uninstall the drivers and go back to the older ones again. I first tried this by removing the mx 400 from the device manager, but Windows just automatically reinstalled it each time. Then I figured out that you have to remove it via the add/remove programs dialog (which might I add is incredibly unorthodox). However, when I installed the older ones again, I got an error that Windows (wich btw is Windows 98 SE) couldn't detect them and it made me reinstall the newer ones again! Help!

I have one other quick question. Is the geforce2 mx 400 supposed to support texture alpha blending (as alluded to above), or is it just incapable of it?
Old 07-28-02, 05:02 PM   #2
PCarr78

i have never heard of this problem before.

Exactly which versions of the driver are you using
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 08:14 PM   #3
Cloral

I dunno. It won't tell me.
Old 07-29-02, 08:18 PM   #4
PCarr78

Try the latest 30.30 drivers off NVIDIA's website

what do you mean it wont tell you?
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 08:24 PM   #5
Cloral

There is no 30.30 download available at the nVidia site! The last one they have that I can see is 29.42, which I tried downloading and installing again just to see, and it prevented Windows from booting! I even did a search on their site for 30.30, and it returned 0 results.

As for the driver version, Windows will only tell me the date, which it lists as sometime in september last year. This makes no sense to me.
Old 07-29-02, 08:30 PM   #6
volt

I don't remember new dets being added to nvidia's databse Current version is still 29.42. So you might try those or 30.30

http://www.guru3d.com/files/

Videocard Drivers -> NVIDIA detonator drivers -> Detonator 30.00 Windows 9x/ME
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 08:53 PM   #7
Cloral

OK. I got the drivers. When I tried to install them, it says:

"Wizard Error - Could not find nView on your system. Please reinstall."

I'm trying to do the initial install! How can I reinstall when I can't install in the first place?
Old 07-31-02, 12:38 AM   #8
Wolfie

do you have the orginal cd? if you do delete everything and put that in. and then upgrade drivers. i think the cd has the nview thing on it.

wolfie
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-02, 01:06 AM   #9
Cloral

Never got a CD - it came installed on my computer. And none of the other versions seem to want nView, just the new one.
Old 08-01-02, 10:57 AM   #10
SavagePaladin
info*****

If nView is screwing with you, some earlier drivers did NOT uninstall, and when you tried to install over them you may have created a problem. I don't know.
You'll need someone with a better memory than me to tell you how to fix that.
____
it may have been as simple as me not rebooting when i was supposed to, if i had that issue
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 04:01 PM   #11
Cloral

I removed the earlier versions using Detonator Destroyer. They should have been completely gone.
Old 08-01-02, 10:35 PM   #12
SavagePaladin
info*****

sounds like a hardware error to me, either heat related or just bad hardware.
I really couldn't say.
My system gets all wierd on me if my vidcard overheats
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote