Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-03, 11:15 PM   #181
Neural

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp
i feel nv, or other video card companies have to throw in something extra for the "average joe." cinematic computing... and fp32 are words they use to attract consumers. just following the dx9 spec, and being fast at it doesnt cut it anymore for the average "joe consumer" i think it would be great to just follow dx9 specs, it allows more developers to concentrate on gameplay and graphics. and keeps them from moving towards consoles (which more and more companies tend to be doing)
pc gaming is dying slowly... the recent big games have sucked. the cost for creating pcgames are getting higher than the profits... and generally pc gaming is in a slump.
hopefully hl2 and doom3 breath new life into pcgaming.
I agree about hl2 and doom3, many have talked about the next "killer app" that will puch PCs to the next level, at the rate things are going I only hope hl2 and D3 are "market salvagers" otherwise without good games to feed the gpu need, the whole nVidia vs. ATi will be a moot point as the needs can be met by the Super Duper intel EXTREME graphics!
Neural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 11:17 PM   #182
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Neural
I agree about hl2 and doom3, many have talked about the next "killer app" that will puch PCs to the next level, at the rate things are going I only hope hl2 and D3 are "market salvagers" otherwise without good games to feed the gpu need, the whole nVidia vs. ATi will be a moot point as the needs can be met by the Super Duper intel EXTREME graphics!
unreal II was hpyed and turned out to be... for me... utterly not worth the money or the time... (um 8hrs ? come on... this is not super mario from the old nintendo days... )
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 11:26 PM   #183
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

ok all this is my honost opinion... its just an opinion and i agree that eveyone may not agree with me.

well... it seems like nowadays we are just seeing poor console ports, or poor sequels... ut2k3, ut, nfshp2, all are poor sequels... that fail to even touch the game before it.

warezing is larger than ever... with more people downloading games and not buying them... supposly huge games are turning out to be duds... ea and ea sports are going down the drain... (with the exception of a few titles) eidos is nearly down the drain... and good companies are going bunk, looking glass studios... etc.

we are seeing more sim's game's than anything else... (im so glad sims 2 is going to be 3d, not because i play it, but because it will push the industry)

games are getting buggier, its taking 1 or 2 patches for a game to be stable anymore... costs for making them are rising, companies are moving to consoles, and they are setting strict deadlines. the hardware level of the average consumer is lowering... remember when there was only 32mb of ram? moving from 32mb>64mb was a huge difference in windows, games, and everything in general... now a days... moving from 256>512 is only for games. so the average "jow blow consumer" has a lower end system.

the people who own computers are rising... however, the people who own computers for gaming is decreasing... we are a small part of a very large population.

there has been a few innovative games recently... splinter cell... maybe gta3... even though it is a console port to name a few... but not nearly as many as their used to be.

Last edited by jAkUp; 06-02-03 at 11:31 PM.
jAkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 11:28 PM   #184
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
I can already tell this thread is going to go nowhere fast.
Too late. It was already a pissing match before the thread was even made.
Old 06-02-03, 11:30 PM   #185
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp
well... it seems like nowadays we are just seeing poor console ports, or poor sequels... ut2k3, ut, nfshp2, all are poor sequels... that fail to even touch the game before it.

games are getting buggier, its taking 1 or 2 patches for a game to be stable anymore... costs for making them are rising, companies are moving to consoles, and they are setting strict deadlines. the hardware level of the average consumer is lowering... remember when there was only 32mb of ram? moving from 32mb>64mb was a huge difference in windows, games, and everything in general... now a days... moving from 256>512 is only for games. so the average "jow blow consumer" has a lower end system.

the people who own computers are rising... however, the people who own computers for gaming is decreasing... we are a small part of a very large population.

there has been a few innovative games recently... splinter cell... maybe gta3... even though it is a console port to name a few...
yes... that brings up a point I have brought up before...

would standardization not HELP game devs and the companies that produce these products? lowering costs and maknig products more stable rather than having to continually waste time/effort on maknig sure it runs on products that have a different interpretation of the standards ?

joe blow consumer's voice needs to be drowned out by joe blow above average consumer...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 11:40 PM   #186
Zenikase

Game content in general has degraded most likely because of a) rising costs and b) stupid publishers who rush developers to get their product out the door as fast as possible.

People are demanding bigger, better graphics. What they don't know is that it comes at a cost. Video processors have become so complex, it's bad enough having to write for one product, but companies also have to ensure that the competing cards work just as well. This headache doesn't get any better when pig-headed manufacturers outright refuse to conform to the standards given. I have no experience in this field, but I can assure you that enormous amounts of time and money are invested solely into this.

Some publishers are also very anal about having a timely release. They have no regard as to whether the game is complete or not, as long as they can fool some poor suckers into giving them their money. This is usually the reason why we have fatal bugs that require multiple patches, as well as expansion packs with all the stuff that could've been in the initial release had they a few extra weeks to work on the game. If a publisher is ailing, they're going to want as many products on the shelf at one time as possible. It's about quantity, not quality.

Last edited by Zenikase; 06-03-03 at 02:57 PM.
Zenikase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 11:55 PM   #187
sbp

Tune in tomorrow for another exciting episode as the benchmark turns.
sbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 11:59 PM   #188
Zenikase

Eh, the discussion is pretty dead already. We've spent most of this page talking about how much the PC games industry sucks.
Zenikase is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-03, 12:17 AM   #189
Quinn1981
Elite Bastard

Default Re: On re-reading, something else bothers me about the statement.

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
How many people here think these two companies should be defining the rules of benchmarking? Let's have a show of hands...
Hehehe. Good point. But you never know. Maybe after all this screwing around in secret, they actually were listening to their customers and fans.
Quinn1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 12:20 AM   #190
Quinn1981
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Zenikase
Eh, the discussion is pretty dead already. We've spent most of this page talking about how much the PC games industry sucks.
Another good point. Now, we just need more of these and there will be reason to continue.

I said it before jokingly. Maybe we need an actual PC 3D Graphics Benchmarking board or something made up of different people in the industry. It's the only way to keep assholes like... you know... screwing with the numbers... in more than one way.
Quinn1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 12:38 AM   #191
scott123

He, he: I hate to say I told ya so.

Kinda looks like Futuremark see's the reality, and realizes that they need Nvidia on board to survive.

As I said, it doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong. When the #1 graphics card maker says your product sucks, and your product just happends to be a benchmark program, you have a serious problem on your hands.

I think Futuremark see's the reality, and they are in survival mode.

Scott
Creative Xfi
Cooler Master CM Stacker STC-T01
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 12:39 AM   #192
Rowen

Send a message via ICQ to Rowen

Let's not blame nVidia... after all, they're only trying to prove what they always said about 3DMark2003... it sucks and can be manipulated...

Now serious... as long as a driver show the performance gains in the real games without any kind of problem, why would I care about 3DMark??? It's useless... it's only about competition between people trying to get the ultimate score...