Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-03-03, 08:56 AM   #229
creedamd

Default Re: Want to let Futuremark know you're displeased?

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I was reading B3D and one of the smarter fellas recomended deleting all your 3dm2k3 scores from the orb. Not only will it make 3dm2k3 less effective, but it'll send a message to FM.

I just deleted all mine, I recomend this course of action to anyone who is displeased with the joint announcement yesterday.
NO! I can't do that! What if I forget how long my pen0s is? What will I use to reference?? Oh noes

System2: 2500xp@3200|abitNF7-s|512XMS|9700pro|160Gbhd

System3: 2400xp|512xms|Epox 8rda+|9500pro
creedamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 09:01 AM   #230
Rowen

Send a message via ICQ to Rowen

Quote:
This, plus the fact that console games are much harder to pirate, due to proprietary mediums and the complex hardware modding required to play a pirated game that not only could be risky, but voids your warranty.
Are you sure? PSX, PS2 and Xbox... all of them have lots of pirated games... I think that only Game Cube owners can't have pirated games (i never saw it for GC)...

I don't backup ATI too, I'm not 100% sure they doesn' t cheat too (they tried to cheat too when they needed some time ago). I never liked the "what's new" of the drivers telling "XXX% increase in test X of 3DMark2K3", "XXX% more fps in game X of 3Dmark2K3", etc...

Cheating is about getting caught or not

But it's what I said before... HL2, DoomIII, etc... are games. 3DMark isn't a game... (well for those who fight for the best score, it can be... but it's not the same "game"), as long as a driver from any company goes ok with stability, bug fixes and performance (without taking on image quality to get performance), it's ok for me.
Old 06-03-03, 09:02 AM   #231
digitalwanderer

Default Re: Re: Want to let Futuremark know you're displeased?

Quote:
Originally posted by creedamd
NO! I can't do that! What if I forget how long my pen0s is? What will I use to reference?? Oh noes
Hey, I said delete your 3dm2k3 scores!

I worked me nuggers off on some of me 3dm2k1se scores, I watched Bubbles go from a 2800 to 10,440 on that damned benchmark and I ain't heard any complaints about IT yet....I'm leaving me pre-3dm2k3 stuff, I'm just pissed about 3dm2k3 right now.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 09:17 AM   #232
hithere

Nvidia's laughing right now, knowing that some folks at Futuremark actually believe they are "hand in hand." Nvidia knows full well that Futuremark's days as a benchmark are numbered; the number of places that review cards with this benchmark is going to decline sharply in the next few days. Nvidia got what they wanted, all they had to do was destroy a few businesses and their own integrity to get it.
hithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 09:21 AM   #233
creedamd

Default Re: Re: Re: Want to let Futuremark know you're displeased?

Quote:
Hey, I said delete your 3dm2k3 scores!

I worked me nuggers off on some of me 3dm2k1se scores, I watched Bubbles go from a 2800 to 10,440 on that damned benchmark and I ain't heard any complaints about IT yet....I'm leaving me pre-3dm2k3 stuff, I'm just pissed about 3dm2k3 right now.
I wouldn't be mad at 3dmark, they had to do what they had to do. I believe they have something else up their sleeve that will shine the true light on Nvidia. They just couldn't say it the way it was.

They still say that it was an "invalid optimization" that is cheating.

I don't blame FM for not wanting to face legal battles with NV. It would sink them.

System2: 2500xp@3200|abitNF7-s|512XMS|9700pro|160Gbhd

System3: 2400xp|512xms|Epox 8rda+|9500pro
creedamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 09:26 AM   #234
hithere

Quote:
Originally posted by Rowen
But it's what I said before... HL2, DoomIII, etc... are games. 3DMark isn't a game... (well for those who fight for the best score, it can be... but it's not the same "game"), as long as a driver from any company goes ok with stability, bug fixes and performance (without taking on image quality to get performance), it's ok for me.
I've got a pair of 12W3 subwoofer's in my car I'm planning on selling to a guy down the street. Actually, they're 12W0's, which aren't as good AFAIC...but the guy I'm selling them to won't know the difference, they aren't labelled. It's okay that I'm lying to him, because it's all about the music, really, and in some applications the 12W0's are a better match, like in low power situations.
hithere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 09:36 AM   #235
Solomon

Strong arm tactics. You got to love it!

Nvidia's Money vs Futuremark's Money = Nvidia Wins every Time!

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 09:43 AM   #236
Quinn1981
Elite Bastard

I don't think it would be really possible for nVidia to sue Futuremark and shut them down. If anything, Futuremark has more right to sue them by making their application useless with cheating and a big helping of slander to go along with it. That would make a good case. Unless they know about some dirty business Futuremark has been up to, they have nothing IMO. I think they just came to an agreement that they needed each other to keep the money coming in. I think Futuremark holds more power over nVidia than most people think. It looks like a symbiotic relationship to me.
Quinn1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-03, 09:47 AM   #237
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp
ea and ea sports are going down the drain...
I am not sure where you are getting your information, but EA Sports dominates the top 5 positions in PC Sports game sales. They also dominate the console sports sales charts as well. Now, I will grant you that PC sales are not nearly as good as console sales, but I think this is primarily true throughout the industry with a few exceptions.

EA nor EA Sports are going anywhere but up. The last fiscal quarter, EA had it's first ever $ Billion revenue quarter. Largely fueled by Madden 2003, The Sims, BF 1942, MOHAA, etc.
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 09:49 AM   #238
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Default Re: Want to let Futuremark know you're displeased?

Quote:
I was reading B3D and one of the smarter fellas recomended deleting all your 3dm2k3 scores from the orb. Not only will it make 3dm2k3 less effective, but it'll send a message to FM.

I just deleted all mine, I recomend this course of action to anyone who is displeased with the joint announcement yesterday.
You are displeased of what exactly? Displeased that FM now recognizes optimizations as being the thing to do because optimizations have played a very important part in the CPU sector (SSE2 anyone?).

Or are you displeased that FM now enters the realm of real-world performance, leaving the synthetic world of pseudo game-benchmarking?

What do you prefer: A benchmark which indicates how your graphiccard will perform for example in Doom3 or HL2 or a benchmark which indicates how your graphiccard will never perform since the bench does makes use of an graphic engine which is not feasible enough to be used anytime in real game?
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 09:52 AM   #239
Solomon

Quote:
Originally posted by Quinn1981
I don't think it would be really possible for nVidia to sue Futuremark and shut them down. If anything, Futuremark has more right to sue them by making their application useless with cheating and a big helping of slander to go along with it. That would make a good case. Unless they know about some dirty business Futuremark has been up to, they have nothing IMO. I think they just came to an agreement that they needed each other to keep the money coming in. I think Futuremark holds more power over nVidia than most people think. It looks like a symbiotic relationship to me.
Apparently you never been to court before. I can tell you straight out it's really not a "legal" thing but, "How much money can you bring to the table" They will drag it out as long as possible. It's an endurance thing.. It sucks...

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Old 06-03-03, 09:53 AM   #240
Solomon

Default Re: Re: Want to let Futuremark know you're displeased?

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
You are displeased of what exactly? Displeased that FM now recognizes optimizations as being the thing to do because optimizations have played a very important part in the CPU sector (SSE2 anyone?).

Or are you displeased that FM now enters the realm of real-world performance, leaving the synthetic world of pseudo game-benchmarking?

What do you prefer: A benchmark which indicates how your graphiccard will perform for example in Doom3 or HL2 or a benchmark which indicates how your graphiccard will never perform since the bench does makes use of an graphic engine which is not feasible enough to be used anytime in real game?
WoW! Apparently you haven't heard of the "Clip Plane" issue in 3DMark03 with the 44.03 drivers huh? Hehehe.

Regards,
D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com