Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-04-03, 09:08 PM   #349
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku
But can you say it wasn't deserved? But a lot of those folks taking potshots never actually owned an 8500. I did. Huge mistake. I wasn't going to buy an ATI product again after that. But I was younger and stupid.

/me is very happy with his 9800 Pro.
Same situation now, that I see. Is all the heat nvidia taking undeserved?

The NV30 launch was horrible. The NV30 early drivers were horrible. The NV30 hardware is "acceptable" at best, not up to the quality of previous nvidia hardware for sure. And then the constant driver cheating.

nvidia are the ones digging the hole deeper, should we not call them out on it? How hard is it to just stop cheating, stop the marketing BS that went out of control with NV30, and focus on delivering good products and drivers again? As someone who staunchly defended nvidia in the past, even after the NV30 launch, I am very disappointed in their actions.
Old 06-04-03, 09:09 PM   #350
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
The problem with Rage3d, Is there are way too many personal attacks that goes on there
Well, I almost agree. Their Radeon & catalyst lounge have gotten a bit out of hand, but I blame it on the huge influx of newbies more than anything else. It'll settle down, if not I'll MAKE it settle down.

Quote:
Thats the reason Why I don't post there as much as I do here. Rage3d has some good posters, But there are some very offensive ones over there too.
Weird you should mention, but I was just having a chat with someone about how nVnews has become truly a bit ugly/meaner today somehow. Maybe it's been happening for a while and I didn't notice, maybe it is just weird today; but there has definately been a good deal more vitriol directed towards ATi enthusiasts as of late, and it's gonna drive some peeps away.

Quote:
I do post at rage3d occasionally. But I tend to keep my opinions to myself. Because wanting features like Digital Vibrance and Super Sampling makes me a newbie and a punk and a "kid"
THAT'S why your name was ringing a bell! I agree that thread took a weird turn, but did ya notice the newbie nVidiot there who just popped in to cause trouble? It hits on both sides, a very double-edged sword.

I'm still blaming nVidia for the whole mess, I'm truly starting to despise them.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 09:21 PM   #351
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Well, I almost agree. Their Radeon & catalyst lounge have gotten a bit out of hand, but I blame it on the huge influx of newbies more than anything else. It'll settle down, if not I'll MAKE it settle down.

Weird you should mention, but I was just having a chat with someone about how nVnews has become truly a bit ugly/meaner today somehow. Maybe it's been happening for a while and I didn't notice, maybe it is just weird today; but there has definately been a good deal more vitriol directed towards ATi enthusiasts as of late, and it's gonna drive some peeps away.

THAT'S why your name was ringing a bell! I agree that thread took a weird turn, but did ya notice the newbie nVidiot there who just popped in to cause trouble? It hits on both sides, a very double-edged sword.

I'm still blaming nVidia for the whole mess, I'm truly starting to despise them.
lol... yes chris posted on many a forum about the same thing and that made a few people mad.. and they took it out on him

of course that and the fact some people despise digital vibrance and others think its just a gimick... poor chris got the short end of the stick... but CM took a few looks @ his request and said he would look it up
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 09:53 PM   #352
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Um, i dont like digital Vibrance nor do I think Ati should support it. There are a number of threads in the General Radeon forum from people who Switched from Nvidia To Ati in the last year and most of them comment about how much better things look on the ATi card.
While I respect your opinions regarding Digital Vibrance, I have to disagree.

On my GF4 Ti4600, I have wallpaper created from high resolution photos of my recent trip to Pebble Beach. Digital Vibrance makes these shots, not to mention the environment in Tiger Woods 2003/2004 look far more realistic. The moving water and resulting reflections rendered by the GF4 is also a bit more realistic as well.

On my 9800 Pro, I have played with the color controls ad nauseum, and still cannot get close to the visuals the GF4 is giving me. Don't get me wrong, the 9800 has a beautify display. But on my (2) 21" Viewsonic G-810-5's, the Radeon is not a match even with the new color enhancements in the Cat 3.4 drivers. The color saturation using DV is much more to my liking. I wish ATI good luck in coming up with a much better color management feature soon.
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 10:09 PM   #353
Hellbinder

Here is the problem with Digital Vibrance.

Back in the day Nvidia was getting hammered for having horrid washed out IQ, especcially when compared to ATi. Thus all of a sudden Nvidia offered *Digital Vibrance* which is nothing but a software hack to artificially overbright colors.

Turn off Digital Vibrance and compare what you see to the non artificially enhanced ATi IQ. There is a big difference. Further many people have commented that they had not realized how cartoony games looked with digital Vibrance until they *got used* to their Ati card. Also there are a few comments about how some of the texture details are lost due to the overbrighting that DV does, That you just get used to.

So really, i will take the real thing instead of the Artificially Overdriven Color look.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 10:25 PM   #354
solofly

Quote:
Also consider that Rage3d has about 300,000 active posters. Nvnews has... maybe 1,000????
300,000? The last time I looked there were just over 38,000 which is also less the the little AMD community at amdmb...
solofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 10:25 PM   #355
DivotMaker

Quote:
Turn off Digital Vibrance and compare what you see to the non artificially enhanced ATi IQ. There is a big difference.
You are responding to someone who is EXTREMELY picky about how his desktop and games look. Especially the Golf games I play like TW2003 and beta testing TW 2004. Since I am the course photographer for EA Sports (I am a sub-contractor, not an EA employee), I know better than anyone how the course should look in the game. If anything, the ATI image is washed out in comparison. I have done everything known to man to improve the ATI images and while they don't have the saturation that the nVidia images have, they just don't look as natural as the images I get using nVidia's Display Properites functionality. I actually rarely use ANY DV at all. I get the best images by using the contrast/gamma/brightness sliders.

The other thing that bothers me about the ATI color functionality is that they don't return to the settings you set when exiting a game. Every time I exit a game, I have to go back into Display Properties and click on the Color tab just to get back to the settings that I had in the first place.

I hate arguing with anyone, but I will disagree with you on DV but more importantly the way that nVidia allows for customization of color properties. ATI would do well to at least give USERS the choice to have the color presented the way each individual sees fit.
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 10:29 PM   #356
solofly

Quote:
Originally posted by gordon151
/me steps away from solofly before the lightning strikes....

Edit: What's up with people posting essays =/?
I can rephrase it but then again I donít want to curse.

Old 06-04-03, 10:30 PM   #357
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Ouch,

IF DV is 'bad' why did ati add it into 3.4's? or try to.
Old 06-04-03, 10:31 PM   #358
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
Ouch,

IF DV is 'bad' why did ati add it into 3.4's? or try to.

I'm not quite sure what ATI added, But I don't think they were trying to add DV, Cuz its not even close.

If they were.. I dunno what to say
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 10:38 PM   #359
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
I'm not quite sure what ATI added, But I don't think they were trying to add DV, Cuz its not even close.

If they were.. I dunno what to say
Well again, i am to lazy to look for the interview because i dont really care that much, but the question was asked about DV.

And the reply was, in the next driver release we will have something like it.
Old 06-04-03, 10:40 PM   #360
solofly

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Just like you hitting this place and causing trouble. But in your case you only have a dull pocket knife that is ineffective on me and I'm sure I speak for other people too.