Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-05-03, 11:15 AM   #373
Hanners
Elite Bastard

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
No, I dont want anyone to break their nda's. I wouldnt do it myself, so I wouldnt ask anyone to do it.

I would like ATI to post beta catalyst drivers so they may be evaluated for usefullness by powerusers who have first clicked on a no support "beta evaluation" liability disclaimer.

One of things I always liked about being an nvidia user was the steady flow of beta det's.

yeah I know the beta det's are leaked, but ati used to post beta's.
I know what you mean, but I don't think letting 10,000 or so users download beta drivers and report on them would help ATi - They'd end up with a lot of false problem reports and so on, and the whole thing would become a nightmare.

Besides which, when you are releasing official, WHQL certified Catalyst drivers every four weeks, who needs beta drivers?
Old 06-05-03, 11:35 AM   #374
Hellbinder

Quote:
before the day is out "CATALYST BETA TESTERS" will have compared Ati's drivers to Nvidia's drivers and called you and idiot.
Why dont you back that statement up with a single link with a posted quote from it here. where Beta testers are acting like you say.

I personally have never seen anything like what you are describing happen.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-03, 11:55 AM   #375
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by solofly
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks that. I had 3 ATI cards (2x9700p & 9800p) in my box in the last week and I already had crashes. Man, my one and a half year old Ti4400 hasn't crashed once as far as I remember. I still like my 9800p the the IQ is a touch better. (not while playing fast frames games though - too fast to tell the difference)
My couple of month old ti4400 has never crashed on me either, but it's sure given me a lot of graphic glitches using any driver set higher than the 30.82 set.

I've used both companies drivers. Hell, I'm using both right now! And I must say that the ATi drivers are much better lately than the whole of the 4x.xx series has been for me! (Well, maybe 'cept for the 40.72 set...I damn near liked that set. )

BTW-Do you know when nVidia is releasing their next set of drivers? I don't, but I got a pretty good idea of when I can expect some from ATi.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-03, 12:11 PM   #376
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
BTW-Do you know when nVidia is releasing their next set of drivers? I don't, but I got a pretty good idea of when I can expect some from ATi.
It's pretty certain that nvidia will have released new official WHQL drivers by the end of the month... just in time when the GF FX 5900 Ultra hit stores. Those drivers will be the 50.xx serie.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-03, 12:28 PM   #377
solofly

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
It's pretty certain that nvidia will have released new official WHQL drivers by the end of the month... just in time when the GF FX 5900 Ultra hit stores. Those drivers will be the 50.xx serie.
I think so too. After all 5900 should be ready for prime time in a couple of weeks. Then R360 will probably beat it a lil but then nVidia will follow up with DD2 on the 5900U as well. Should be fun to watch... (now I said watch and not bash)
solofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-03, 12:32 PM   #378
Red Dog
Join Norml today!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Why dont you back that statement up with a single link with a posted quote from it here. where Beta testers are acting like you say.

I personally have never seen anything like what you are describing happen.

Register annonomously at rage3d, then go post requesting digital vibrance, beta catalyst's, etc.

before 5 posts later nvidia's drivers will be compared to ati's whether thats the subject or not. the following in an example.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33690331

I was wrong to use the words "call you an idiot" as no one specificaly used the word idiot. I should have been more carefull in my statement.

The type of thing I was refering to was Dutchboy starts a thread about DV, specificaly asking not to start a debate its merits. a few posts later posters begin basicaly telling him his perception of DV's usefullness is unfounded, and it degrades image quality.

I should have been more cautious in stating my opinion. I can sense this could turn into a huge debate, one that I dont feel like engaging in at depth.

this type of thing does occur at every site, maybe I just dont notice it here as much. imo, it just seems like former nvidia users are for the most part running into a brick wall in the r3d forum. just my impression.

The End.
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-03, 12:42 PM   #379
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by solofly
I think so too. After all 5900 should be ready for prime time in a couple of weeks. Then R360 will probably beat it a lil but then nVidia will follow up with DD2 on the 5900U as well. Should be fun to watch... (now I said watch and not bash)

Is the DDR2 on the NV35 just a guess or have u herd from a source : D
Old 06-05-03, 12:57 PM   #380
solofly

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
I don't guess... (I'll find you the link when I have some time)
solofly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-03, 01:00 PM   #381
Morrow
Atari STE 4-bit color

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
It's only a guess because nvidia will almost certainly not go again for DDR II until the nv40 arrives. By that time the DDR II technology is ready for the real thing. For the time being it's still too expensive, running too hot and still too unreliable for high clockspeeds and a 256-bit datapath simultaneously.
Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-03, 01:00 PM   #382
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Dog
Register annonomously at rage3d, then go post requesting digital vibrance, beta catalyst's, etc.

before 5 posts later nvidia's drivers will be compared to ati's whether thats the subject or not. the following in an example.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...eadid=33690331
Uhm, if you're referring to the way CraigG got targetted as a troll in that thread it's because he WAS a troll in that thread.

I'd like to point out that I am DEFENDING adding DV to ATi drivers in that thread, and arguing with a couple of friends who are saying I'm wrong. Also, TWO mods have came into that thread to try and simmer it down.

Tensions are too bloody high right now on the ATi side of things for anyone there to put up with ANY guff from nVidia zealots right now.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-03, 01:17 PM   #383
Hellbinder

Quote:
And even though ATI made some huge progresses in the beginning, it seems now that the quality of their drivers has stalled, forums everywhere are fulls of reclamations about stuttering, bugs, glitches and crashes... is ATI still really going only uphill? The next months will show...

Anyway, I agree to ImaginaryFiend that all the forums worldwide were much more nice and calm when nvidia was the leader. All the bashing and attacks which are going on the last few months are hardly bearable. Intelligent discussions are impossible to find anywhere. We are currently now in the same pathetic situation as we were when AMD managed to offers the fastest CPUs two years ago:

intelligent discussion mode = off
bashing mode = on
There are a ton of little Driver Glitches with the new Dets and older Nvidia hardware like the GF4. I dont think the Quality of their drivers have stalled at all. There is no denying that they still make the occasional Brain Fart like the HL ESC bug. But overall I think the problems are way overstated, and Nvidia problems are way understated. I myself have a GF4 that locks up hard in certain levels of Americas Army, and occasionally Boots winXP to a Black screen of nothingness. But i have never gone to a message board and Raised Bloody hell about it.

You and some others really need to get some ballance here. Nvidia historically leaked multiple Driver revisions all over the place MANY which caused people problems, or Glitches, or slowed performance etc. they just droped back to one of the other Drivers that they liked. Its really funny how no one here raises any hell about that. the same is True for the ATi side. If you are having issues with the cat 3.4's becuase their performance increases caused some issues with some motherboards just use the Cat 3.2's etc..

Look at this forum and all the other Nvidia forums, i have seen Hundrends od posts saying things like *oh well back to the XX.XX's*. Why do you guys change the rules for ATi??

Ill tell you why, but you wont like the answer.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Old 06-05-03, 01:19 PM   #384
Hellbinder

Quote:
Anyway, I agree to ImaginaryFiend that all the forums worldwide were much more nice and calm when nvidia was the leader. All the bashing and attacks which are going on the last few months are hardly bearable. Intelligent discussions are impossible to find anywhere. We are currently now in the same pathetic situation as we were when AMD managed to offers the fastest CPUs two years ago:
Get serious. That is flat out Fanboy talk there. And you are accusing others of Fanboy bashing???? Nvidia Fans and Fansites and Web review sites are flat out filled with a History of Ati bashing, PowerVr bashing, Matrox Bashing making fun of, ridiculeing etc.

The difference is before You didnt notice becuase *Your side was winning*...
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Catalyst 4.2