Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-03, 08:14 PM   #49
muzz

We need $ BAD!!

Lets bring in Dell and make up with NV.....

Or

Hell will join ya if ya drop the accusations FM........

BAH!
Old 06-02-03, 08:20 PM   #50
Jovi

Default Re: Oh my gods!

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
Are you F&&&ING proud of yourself now Kyle? You got exactly what you wanted, and all it cost us was the bloody F***ING integrity of the industry.

I stand disgusted.
This you over on rage? Cracked me up. I think both sides of the issue need to lay low and kill the smack talk.
Jovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 08:22 PM   #51
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

m'kay
Old 06-02-03, 08:24 PM   #52
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally posted by NickSpolec
Total BS.

Benchmarks are only good if they can blindly compare performance of different hardware to see how they perform against each other in an GENERAL ENVIORMENT AND TESTING

If they start adding in specific code paths, then they will be worthless.

Why?

The fact is, MOST games DO NOT have optimized code paths for all different hardware, they usually don't even have optimized code paths for the two most common hardware (Radeon and GeForce).

If games have ANY optimized code paths at all, they usually only have two different code paths: A general API code path (for all general hardware), and 1 single optimized GPU code path (which is usually at least 90% an optimized code path for Nvidia hardware).

Optimized code paths are good and bad. It's good because it can put the focus of a game to a specific hardware, making it run better/look faster. But it's MAJORLY bad because there will NEVER be code paths for all hardware, and even then, they will not be as mature as some other code paths (*cough* Nvidia code paths *cough*).

If 3DMark starts to use optimized code paths, that will make it WORTHLESS as a subjective messure of performance.

Nvidia crying because their GPU is pants at general, unoptimized DX9 performance doesn't help them, and just because they may get their way and eventually get a 3DMark with an optimized code path doesn't mean sh*t.

Why?

Again, MOST games DO NOT, and WILL NOT have seperate optimized code paths for specific hardware.
Um, actually ALOT of games have and allways will have optmized for specific hardware, not just video cards. Here is some off the top of my head

Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Unreal(cpu optmizations), UT, UT2k3

Yes that dose mean all quake3 based games are optmized.

Star Trek: Elite Force, Wolfenstien, Alice, FAKK2: Heavy metal...omg i cant rember all of them.
Old 06-02-03, 08:26 PM   #53
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by evilangel
Haha, all the ATI fanboys now have nothing to babble about now.

Nvidia didn't cheat.
Are you looking to be flamed to death online tonight? I don't know if it's possible or not, but keep it up and I can promise you I'll find out.

I note most of the more ardent defenders of nVidia are even shocked by this, and kindly point out to you that you have absolututely NO clue what you are talking about.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 08:28 PM   #54
reever2

Hyopcrites, all of them.
reever2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 08:28 PM   #55
Typedef Enum

Quote:
I can already tell this thread is going to go nowhere fast.
It's going to go nowhere fast because the bolded quote that's on the front page should most definitely be taken in tongue-n-cheek.

I mean, come on...you know..I know...everybody knows what's going on here, so let's not try to BS ourselves here. By insinuating that nobody actually cheated is just like saying, "You're fooling only yourself."

The bottom line here is this...nVidia should never have left FutureMark...It was a bad decision. They did so because they had the worst performing DX9 hardware. All of this crap was nothing but a lose-lose situation for everybody involved. In doing this joint statement with FutureMark, they will probably become invovled with the program once again (win for FutureMark), people won't be disgusted @ nVidia for dropping out in the first place (win nVidia), and people will finally move forward (win for consumers).
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 08:29 PM   #56
NickSpolec

Quote:
Um, actually ALOT of games have and allways will have optmized for specific hardware, not just video cards. Here is some off the top of my head

Quake, Quake II, Quake III, Unreal(cpu optmizations), UT, UT2k3
You need to re-read my entire post.

When I said optimized code paths in games, I was speaking about graphics hardware.
NickSpolec is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-03, 08:29 PM   #57
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

I think NVIDIA beat the dead horse once too often on this one, from what I saw the whole driver deal was starting to die down a bit. Now they just bury themselves in it again with this, they really should have just plodded on with the nv40 and saved face.
vampireuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 08:29 PM   #58
Jovi

This just show some people overeacted and bashed one side way too hard, then got kicked in the jimmys. Both cards are good cards and I think most can agree on that.
Jovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 08:30 PM   #59
EMunEeE
Me

Send a message via AIM to EMunEeE

Only thing this show is the low validity of any 3D Mark 2XXX. I think all reviewers should resist from putting any 3D Mark results in a review.

It is a good thing I know how to spend my money on the best product.

AIR LETTER OUTTER

NJ NEts will win the NBA
ABIT AN8 Ultra (nForce4 Ultra) || AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ || 2GB OCZ Performance PC3200 DDR SDRAM || ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon X1800 XL 256MB || Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 || 120GB & 80GB Seagate HDs || Lite-On DVD Drive & DVD RW || Antec P160WF Case || Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU || Samsung 204T (20.1") & Hitachi CML174SX (17") LCDs

I'm black, I'm still sexy, my computer is now sexier though.
EMunEeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-03, 08:30 PM   #60
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally posted by Typedef Enum
The bottom line here is this...nVidia should never have left FutureMark...It was a bad decision. They did so because they had the worst performing DX9 hardware. All of this crap was nothing but a lose-lose situation for everybody involved. In doing this joint statement with FutureMark, they will probably become invovled with the program once again (win for FutureMark), people won't be disgusted @ nVidia for dropping out in the first place (win nVidia), and people will finally move forward (win for consumers).
Could not agree more. Excellent points.
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote