Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-02, 01:16 PM   #1
pelly

Default Klipsch ProMedia Question

I haven't had a chance to look into this....but can you hook these up to a receiver and have a super-cheap home theater system?

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 02:54 PM   #2
McBane
Left Hand Black

Send a message via ICQ to McBane Send a message via AIM to McBane

As long as you have no follow-up questions, then the answer is: Yes.

PR0N-O-MATIC XL-509I
McBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-02, 02:41 AM   #3
Typedef Enum

Pelly,

I bought the Klipsch 5.1's about 2 weeks ago...if you want/need any information, drop me an email. I also have the Logitech Z560's sitting over here as well, but they're going back this weekend (obviously, you can guess which one 'won' )
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-02, 08:35 AM   #4
Wolfie

and for true digital get this setup from klipsch http://store.klipsch.com/details.asp...ACID=%5&APID=4

i got the 5.1's and nothing can beat them

wolfie
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-02, 03:39 PM   #5
budd_wm
Grrrrrrrrrr......

Well, if you want Dolby Digital or DTS to use with them then you can get a cheap reciever, but you won't get much from it. For one the speakers use their own bass management which as I have heard doesn't work well with Dolby and DTS. If you have a sound card that will allow to adjust the bass management (and only 5.1 soundcard that will do this is Audigy as far as I know, unless you start getting into the high end cards like Audiophile-M, etc), then you may be able to adjust for a very nice sounding setup. I guess it depends on how much detail you listen for, but trust me when I say you can never go too far with a 5.1 setup.
budd_wm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 11:56 AM   #6
Spectral
DJ Spectral

The Klipsch 5.1s are great... Although the bass on them is a little much. I tend to turn the sub down to -2 for movies, and around -4 for music.. otherwise its all bass.
AthlonXP1900+@2100+, Abit KR7A-Raid, Radeon 9700 Pro (core370/mem666), 256Megs PC2100, 2x 40gig WD7200, Soundblaster Audigy Platinum, KDS VS 19" CRT, Klipsch ProMedia 5.1s, Creative 12x DVD, TDK 24x CDRW, 500Watt PSU, Win2kSP3.
Spectral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 01:38 AM   #7
CainSyris
This is MY boomstick!

Is it just me or is typedef rolling in the money? He talks about buying a new LCD monitor for over a thousand dollars, talks about 300 dollar speakers here, and is talking about a 300-400 dollar video card over on rage3d?

Plus, if I'm not too much mistaken, he did an upgrade on his CPU and motherboard not too long ago? (Or rather several people did on the front page of nvnews and I believe he was one of them.)

Congrats on the job that can pay for all this hardware. Or the inheritance, anyway. Sheesh, envious I am. I'm barely making my way in getting a R9700 Pro and you're upgrading everything under the sun!
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 02:48 AM   #8
Typedef Enum

hehe...

Well, there's a lot of truth to that.

The fact of the matter (without getting too detailed) is that I've been out of school for about 2 1/2 years, and I've basically not spent a lot of money since...My "normal" job is as a hardware/software engineer, and I don't have any kids.

Within the last couple of months, this opportunity came a knockin'...

Needless to say (and to not brag), I've seen more money pass through my bank account than I ever thought possible. You have to understand that before I went to school, I was in the military, earning very little.

In the last 6 weeks or so, I've managed to blow a bit of it on:

- P4
- Epox MOBO
- Lian LI Aluminum case
- Alpha HSF
- 2x 120 GB Western Digital Special Edition IDE
- 2x Dell FP2000 LCD's (over 40" width is amazing)
- Klipsch 5.1 Promedia's.
- Audigy
- Antec TruePower 430W PS
- Samsung 512MB DDR

and a bunch of other little things. I've always wanted the "ultimate" rig, and I finally decided to go for it. Now that I have enumerated through this list, I feel kinda' guilty

Right now, I'm @ the Crossroads...I really want to get a Parhelia, but I realize the performance isn't going to be out of this world...But I'm really drawn by the 2D quality.

On the flip side, the 9700 is really tempting, given the performance numbers....

Old 09-05-02, 06:31 AM   #9
CainSyris
This is MY boomstick!

Quote:
Originally posted by Typedef Enum
hehe...

Well, there's a lot of truth to that.

The fact of the matter (without getting too detailed) is that I've been out of school for about 2 1/2 years, and I've basically not spent a lot of money since...My "normal" job is as a hardware/software engineer, and I don't have any kids.

Within the last couple of months, this opportunity came a knockin'...

Needless to say (and to not brag), I've seen more money pass through my bank account than I ever thought possible. You have to understand that before I went to school, I was in the military, earning very little.

In the last 6 weeks or so, I've managed to blow a bit of it on:

- P4
- Epox MOBO
- Lian LI Aluminum case
- Alpha HSF
- 2x 120 GB Western Digital Special Edition IDE
- 2x Dell FP2000 LCD's (over 40" width is amazing)
- Klipsch 5.1 Promedia's.
- Audigy
- Antec TruePower 430W PS
- Samsung 512MB DDR

and a bunch of other little things. I've always wanted the "ultimate" rig, and I finally decided to go for it. Now that I have enumerated through this list, I feel kinda' guilty

Right now, I'm @ the Crossroads...I really want to get a Parhelia, but I realize the performance isn't going to be out of this world...But I'm really drawn by the 2D quality.

On the flip side, the 9700 is really tempting, given the performance numbers....

You know what? I really mean it, I am envious and I also think that you should definitely go with what you want in as far as that ultimate rig is concerned. If I were you, I'd decide which you want more. Gaming or triple desktop.

Myself, I'd probably go gaming since I'd want to be tossing out superspeed scores, win that Mad Onion top webmasters poll (that is, if I were you ) and if I were you, I might even look into watercooling to get to that point.

But in all, I must say, if you have the money, then damn it, we're not worthy! We're not worthy!

Joking. Congrats though. Really. Congrats. Now if only *I* could come into some money. Alas, penny's find me, not dollars.
CainSyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-02, 09:45 AM   #10
Typedef Enum

hehe...

Well, believe it or not, it was my girlfriend (at what point does a chick become something other than a g/f when you've been together > 5 years?) that told me to go for it...

For example, she recognized the number of hours that I spend, especially with respect to work (I really haven't even been able to do a lot of gaming the last few months)...and she was like,

"The number of hours you spend in front of that screen...get whatever is easiest on your eyes...you earned it!"

...or something like that. So, I took her advice...and went all out baby

In a perfect world, I wish motherboards had 2 AGP slots, and a switch to allow you to go from a Matrox to a (insert highend 3D card) on the fly.

I will say, however, that the whole surround gaming just intrigues me a lot. Even if it was older games, it would still be a blast.
Old 09-05-02, 04:57 PM   #11
budd_wm
Grrrrrrrrrr......

This is a bit off topic, but if you have the money and what a bad ass 5.1 setup, I would recommend going to av123.com and looking at their RocketLoud Speakers and a HSU sub. They offer the best professional 5.1 setup for those on a budget IMO, esp with those HSU subs.
budd_wm is offline   Reply With Quote