Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-09, 12:32 PM   #109
lee63
Classified

Default Re: F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Official Thread!

Direct2drive does not utilize Steam for FEAR2.
Old 02-13-09, 12:34 PM   #110
Lfctony

Crap. So a D2D key won't work in Steam, most likely. I want one that does...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 03:12 PM   #111
fiskadoro

A decent, fun shooter so far, but lacking some of the original's atmosphere and scares... still does some good creepy bits though, that's for sure.

One thing bugging me is how long it takes to reload the game after you die. I thought the entire level would be in memory, so once you select to restart from the most recent checkpoint, it'd start immediately, but instead it decides to reload the entire thing again... hardly a dealbreaker, true, but it does upset the flow a bit, and I suck at games, so I die a lot.
fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 06:35 PM   #112
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

I'm playing on hard and haven't died yet... the game is dissapointingly easy, but still awesome.

It's weird how the grain effect shuts off in the middle of interval 2... one wonders why they bothered in the first place.

Loving the game though, I am. It certainly has that FEAR feel in my opinion, though the AI is not quite as aggressive (yet). The enviornments are about 10 billion times better and more interesting as well, and the use of color is truly unique amongst games of this type.

So far it's a 9/10 for me... very satisfied.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 08:06 PM   #113
Mike89
Dude, where's my brain?

Playing the game now. Positive; game runs really smooth and has great sound effects. Negative; No side mouse button support. Hard to believe games still come out this way especially for this game that has so many video settings. Forced widescreen. There are still many more gamers that do not have widescreen monitors and there should be a choice to play either way. The already mentioned many times not having an option to turn off film grain. No walk. This is the first Lithtech game I've seen with no walk option. Game just runs too fast (for me) without a walk. Not everyone wants to go blazing through everything all the time (which also shortens the game which is already short). The crouch speed would be good for a walk speed. No option to get rid of weapon bob. This is also the first Lithtech game I've seen without this option. A little thing of not being able to use the mouse to scroll through the messages picked up. At least it should be binded to "w" "s" instead of the arrows. Mouse sensitivity is set too high even at slowest setting. I always liked Lithtech engine game cause they had adjustments that a lot of other games didn't have (some from above). I was a little bummed that strayed away from that in this game. A config would have been nice to maybe play around with some options/adjustments but there is none to be found. This game does feel like FEAR but has the port flavor.

I was a bit disappointed with Aristeed. I had been looking forward to seeing her and she looks pretty funky and doesn't have the same voice (and personality of that voice) as the original.

I like the game and will play it. Some things though would have made it much better for me.

Unlike Narco, I don't give every game I play a 9/10. Sorry for that comment Narco but you should really do PR for the game companies. They would hire you in a second. Or..... maybe they already have.
I7 3770 @ 4.4 gig (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs (2x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 680 Signature 2, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, 2 WD 640 gig SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig HDD (eSata), WD 1TB Black HDD, Sandisk 32 GB ReadyCache SSD, 2 SATA DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 7 Pro x64

Last edited by Mike89; 02-15-09 at 12:09 AM.
Mike89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 08:56 PM   #114
Zhivago
*BANNED*

So, the lack of shadows isn't bothering you guys?
Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 08:56 PM   #115
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
Unlike Narco, I don't give every game I play a 9/10. Sorry for that comment Narco but you should really do PR for the game companies. They would hire you in a second. Or..... maybe they already have.
I admit I am pretty easy to please.

Saint's Row 2 gets a 4/10 though, for the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
What lack of shadows? I have awesome shadows... dynamic shadows too. I don't understand the complaint.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 08:58 PM   #116
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
He's like me I suppose, and just enjoys games in the spirit the developers intended. It sure is more fun to enjoy a game than hate one. What people have to say says a lot about them, and it's true he almost always has something good to say. So I trust his impressions more than most, as I can see they are not guided or clouded by negative biases.
EVGA Intel X58

Old 02-13-09, 09:05 PM   #117
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhivago View Post
There's a type of psuedo shadow they use. It looks like a shadow seen around the edge of objects, but when you move around the object the shadow moves around it too, so its always on the opposite side from where you're looking, even with the flashlight off. I think it's convicing, as I was not even aware there were not many shadows until somebody mentioned it. Seems to be an excellent idea, as the game looks and runs awesome, and as long as it looks convincing the fact it doesnt have a full dynamic lights on everything means almost nothing.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 02-13-09, 09:07 PM   #118
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Few levels in, I think it's good. I don't think the AI is worse at all.

Game seems really easy though. Normal and I have yet to die and I've even been playing many sections with no slow mo against 4 or 5 enemies. Too easy for normal mode. The AI goes too easy on you. I think this game's difficulty levels all need to be one notch lower than they say they are.

Clarity mod works pretty good
Old 02-13-09, 09:58 PM   #119
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

$55 for a 10 hour game? It's getting to the point you gotta ask yourself, $5.50 an hour for entertainment?

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 10:43 PM   #120
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

If this game were a hooker, you'd be looking about $50 per hour.

On the other hand, I'm glad Narc gave it a 9/10. Pretty much any game he likes I'll end up really getting into.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote