Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-03-03, 09:35 PM   #1
digitalwanderer

Exclamation ExtremeTech: "Nvidia Won't Reenter FutureMark Program, For Now"

It seems that ExtremeTech talked to someone from nVidia today and wrote a bit of a ditty on it, some of the skinny:

Quote:
Even though the discussion apparently mended the fence between the two companies, Nvidia has not plans to join the FutureMark beta graphics benchmark program, the Nvidia spokesman said. "No, not right now," the spokesman said. "We still believe that games are 100 percent the way to go."

The Nvidia spokesman said that Nvidia had not placed any legal pressure on FutureMark to remove the word "cheat" from its analysis. An ATI spokesman on Monday maintained that Nvidia's actions represented cheating.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 11:16 PM   #2
Zenikase

So they intentionally make 3DMark03 appear vulnerable and rather than accept the blame for their own actions, they turn their backs on FutureMark as well. Good going, nVidia. I'm sure you're going to build a fabulous reputation out of this.
Zenikase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-03, 11:37 PM   #3
digitalwanderer

Angry No, no they won't.

nVidia's reputation will be whatever nVidia wants to bully/threaten/buy/lie/cheat for it to be, haven't we learned anything over the last few weeks?

[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 12:18 AM   #4
ricercar
fugue master

Default actions speak louder than words

I've been personally ...financially inconvenienced... by NVIDIA's arrogance. This seems like more of the same, arraogance aimed towards 3DMark03, with Futuremark taking the hit in the pocketbook.

Judge NVIDIA by their actions, not their rhetoric. They bully and they bluster even when they have the performance crown. But when they don't have the crown, NVIDIA sounds more like they're whining than bullying. Feh.

Last edited by ricercar; 06-04-03 at 12:21 AM.
ricercar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 01:10 AM   #5
StealthHawk

I thought it was pretty obvious that nvidia wouldn't rejoin the Futuremark fold

At least not until Futuremark releases a product that shows nvidia cards in a good light.
Old 06-04-03, 06:40 AM   #6
Hanners
Elite Bastard

I'd missed this part of the article:

Quote:
But "cheat" does convey a specific connotation, the Nvidia spokesman said. "Whenever you call someone a 'cheat' it's not one of George Carlin's seven dirty words, but still," he said. The Nvidia spokesman said he also believed that the Finnish executives of FutureMark might not have understood the ramifications of the English-language word "cheat".

Sure, FutureMark didn't understand what they were doing when they used the word 'cheat'

Luckily, a lot of people here do understand the ramifications of using the word cheat, and are still happy to confirm that nVidia cheated.
Old 06-05-03, 11:25 AM   #7
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

i still dont understand why nvidia would complain that they werent cheating, if they dont even care about 3dmark?? if games are the way to go.. why are they wasting their time optimizing for 3dmark03??? it really makes no sense to me. everything they say is a contradiction to something else they said before... crazy.
Old 06-05-03, 05:31 PM   #8
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by jAkUp
i still dont understand why nvidia would complain that they werent cheating, if they dont even care about 3dmark?? if games are the way to go.. why are they wasting their time optimizing for 3dmark03??? it really makes no sense to me. everything they say is a contradiction to something else they said before... crazy.
That's marketing for you. As I've said before, it is obvious that they DO care about 3dmark03, a great deal. They just want people to think that they don't. And for the great majority it works.