Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-09, 01:09 AM   #1
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Microsoft to Open Retail Stores

Microsoft Appoints David Porter as Corporate Vice President of Retail Stores
Twenty-seven-year retail veteran will focus on transforming the PC and device-buying experience for retail consumers and developing and rolling out new Microsoft-branded stores.
REDMOND, Wash. — Feb. 12, 2009 — Microsoft Corp. today announced that David Porter will join the company as corporate vice president of Retail Stores. He will lead Microsoft’s efforts to create a better PC and Microsoft retail purchase experience for consumers worldwide through the development and opening of the company’s own retail stores. Porter will report to Microsoft Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner. He is joining Microsoft from DreamWorks Animation SKG, where he was head of worldwide product distribution.

“I am delighted to welcome David to Microsoft,” Turner said. “This is an exciting time with our strong lineup of upcoming product releases including Windows 7 and new releases of Windows Live and Windows Mobile. We’re also working hard to transform the PC and Microsoft buying experience at retail by improving the articulation and demonstration of the Microsoft innovation and value proposition so that it’s clear, simple and straightforward for consumers everywhere. David’s unique and diverse background, coupled with his deep retail roots and distribution understanding, will be an invaluable asset in this long-term effort.”

“There are tremendous opportunities ahead for Microsoft to create a world-class shopping experience for our customers,” Porter said. “I am excited about helping consumers make more informed decisions about their PC and software purchases, and we’ll share learnings from our stores with our existing retail and OEM partners that are critical to our success.”

Defining the time frame, locations and specifics for planned Microsoft-branded retail stores will be Porter’s first order of business. The purpose of opening these stores is to create deeper engagement with consumers and continue to learn firsthand about what they want and how they buy.

Porter, whose new role and focus will complement the work Microsoft is already doing with its retail partners, will work in close partnership with leaders of existing retail programs in Microsoft’s Entertainment & Devices Division.

Before joining DreamWorks Animation in 2007, Porter spent 25 years at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. in roles of increasing responsibility and seniority in store operations, merchandising and information technology. In his last role at Wal-Mart, Porter was vice president and general merchandise manager of Entertainment, where he served as a strategic point of influence throughout the Wal-Mart business.

Porter’s first day at Microsoft will be Feb. 16, 2009.

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (Nasdaq “MSFT”) is the worldwide leader in software, services and solutions that help people and businesses realize their full potential.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...lStoresPR.mspx
Old 02-13-09, 01:12 AM   #2
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman
Default Re: Microsoft to Open Retail Stores

WOW!!.

How much will stuff cost in these stores?
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 02-13-09, 02:32 AM   #3
methimpikehoses

More than you can afford. You can watch jAkUp buy things through the window.
Old 02-13-09, 07:33 AM   #4
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Why?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 10:28 AM   #5
bacon12

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
Why?
Because Apple?
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 10:42 AM   #6
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

Quote:
Why?
Why not?

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 12:14 PM   #7
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Because Apple?
I guess what I'm thinking is how is their store going to be different from Best Buy? All they will have is OEM machines, PC software and maybe some technical support. Sound familiar? So why bother?
Old 02-13-09, 12:29 PM   #8
Redeemed

Quote:
I guess what I'm thinking is how is their store going to be different from Best Buy? All they will have is OEM machines, PC software and maybe some technical support. Sound familiar? So why bother?
Why bother? Think economics. This will create jobs, which can help the economy. How in the world is this a bad thing?

I'm all for it.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-09, 12:37 PM   #9
bacon12

Quote:
No Geek Squad.

But seriously some people want to go into a store and physically touch the machines. Having someone there from MS to explain sw features would be a plus. I also think they are trying to build a mac like culture maybe?
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 01:14 PM   #10
Medion

They have a demo store at their offices, and I think it was posted here before. It looked pretty cool.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 07:11 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Why bother? Think economics. This will create jobs, which can help the economy. How in the world is this a bad thing?

I'm all for it.
very good point
Old 02-13-09, 08:23 PM   #12
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post

I'm all for it.
Creating jobs is def a good point. Other than that, I just see this as copying what Apple and/or Best Buy has already done. But that's cool, they have the money to do these kinds of things so more power to them.