Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-09, 03:05 PM   #1
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Default Game graphics hitting a wall?

Every year or two, since I can remember, games always seem to see a significant improvement in graphics quality, in the past there was awlays something on the horizon that I thought looked great and was eager to see, but lately... meh... nothings really sparks my interest...

I still don't see anything on the horizon that will make Crysis look dated... we stuck with this level of graphic quality/detail for the next few years or even the foreseeable future?
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 03:07 PM   #2
ralinn
Masters

Default Re: Game graphics hitting a wall?

What's wrong with it? Crysis was way ahead of its time.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 03:13 PM   #3
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralinn View Post
Nothin's wrong with it.. just saying it feels odd.... and asking if maybe I'm missing something that may be out there... we need Carmack to start pushing the envelope again...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 03:17 PM   #4
ralinn
Masters

I'd truely appreciate something that looks good and is playable. Pushing graphics is easy so most PC developers are just plain lazy.

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 03:18 PM   #5
Medion

I think devs are more console-centric than they've ever been. Most games are made with consoles in mind, and as such, you generally see a slightly upscaled version on the PC. On the plus side, I've noticed more PC games come to market without the need for a patch. I own several games that don't even have a patch available.
Medion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 03:29 PM   #6
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
Every year or two, since I can remember, games always seem to see a significant improvement in graphics quality, in the past there was awlays something on the horizon that I thought looked great and was eager to see, but lately... meh... nothings really sparks my interest...

I still don't see anything on the horizon that will make Crysis look dated... we stuck with this level of graphic quality/detail for the next few years or even the foreseeable future?
Probably the next level in graphics quality will be Project Offset.
Old 02-13-09, 03:53 PM   #7
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

not everyone have world fastest rigs like most of you guys. that's what keeping developers from going for crysis-quality graphics. it's not worth spending million more dollars on it plus QA to keep games bug free for zillion rig setups. consoles' far more stable for developers at this moment. those bugs can be really weird and frustrating, trust me. for example my friend who worked on resistance for psp, one of programmers had trouble getting this small bug fixed so they had to completely re-write some part of the engine to get it fixed. once one bug is fixed, new bugs show up. lucky it's on psp where all psps are same (spec wise). imagine it if it's on pc. even skilled programmers face same problem.

if intel, amd/ati, nvidia or so stop releasing too many line-up products to at least one to three gpus (med, high and extreme edition) per two years where it'll be easier on our wallet. also we need to get rid of onboard video (they're a piece of crap). maybe we will start to see graphics quality go up quickly.

that's my opinion.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 03:53 PM   #8
MaxFX
*BANNED*

Yeah offset will probably be something special as its supposed to be Intels Larrabee push so it will be exiting to see if and how much raytracing it will get as we know thats what Intels talks about

So heres hoping that it will be the next big thing!
MaxFX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-09, 03:55 PM   #9
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post

Remember when Far Cry came out? Totally over-shadowed HL2 and Doom 3.

Crysis has similarly overshadowed EVERYTHING out there since it came out and continues to do so.

There could well be something new coming out that will revolutionize things

In my opinion, games like Fallout 3 look pretty spectacular as is
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 04:14 PM   #10
jolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralinn View Post
The framerates you get with modern high end GPUs can attest to that.

But I think we´re really starting to see the that steep curve on diminishing returns.
You need alot more power to push the quality a step further, the higher you go.
(for example, if you add 1000 polygons to a Quake 1 model, its huge improvement, if you add 1000 polys to a character in crysis, its not going to be that big a difference)

And aliasing is a bigger issue now then ever really, a good example of that is something I noticed a really long time ago.
First time I ran Dawn, the NV tech demo, with and without high levels of AA, the difference there was pretty much the difference between realtime and offline rendering.

And now that´ve really started to use SSAA a whole lot, you notice the huge difference in IQ it does.
One of the early sequences in Crysis Warhead where the character moves through some vegitation, that sequence was night and day with and without SSAA.
MSAA really doesnt help much at all in such scenarios, and using TSAA type solutions will result in probably worse performance then pure SSAA as you´re now doing MSAA and SSAA on pretty much the entire screen, possibly more as there are layers of textures with transparency.

The creeping and crawling you get in the image in motion with aliasing and also with lacking texture filtering becomes more and more of an issue the better the graphics you get, as it contrasts a whole lot more with the image then in for example Quake 1.

Raytracing dont seem that much of a real lift to realtime IMO.
You can do exact reflections, and some other stuff, but a raytraced shadow, like a stencil shadow need alot of work to become soft, and that is really expensive.
It´ll prolly be another tool in the toolbox though, alot of offline rendering today use some raytracing for certain stuff, where its appropriate, but not for everything.

Judging by developer response is not really something they´re all that excited about, but rather something Intel want´s to use to leverage the game onto their playing field, to compete with NV and ATi who has been in the realtime rasterizing business for years and years.. but again, it´ll be another tool to work with.
Old 02-13-09, 04:34 PM   #11
wysiwyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp View Post
Probably the next level in graphics quality will be Project Offset.
i remember being in awe of the first teasers when it was first heard about years ago when i had nvidia 6600s still

it still looks great but not awe inspiring anymore

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22926.html
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-09, 04:39 PM   #12
Gnaddel

That Project Offset trailer looks nowhere near crysis. More Dark Messiah 'ish than that actually. Nothing wrong with a game being similar to Dark Messiah though!

Audiatur et altera pars!
Gnaddel is offline   Reply With Quote