Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-14-09, 06:23 AM   #25
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Default Re: Game graphics hitting a wall?

Guess we have to wait for Project Offset ... nothing else in the horizon that could match, let alone beats Crysis.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 06:36 AM   #26
Badboy_12345

Why does a thread like this come out every god damn year?

No game graphics arent hitting the wall. They will be when there is a real 3d holographic presentation of games THEN it would hit the wall. Until then stop making these stupid threads.
Badboy_12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 07:08 AM   #27
Skinner

It looks like (also PC) game GFX progress is dead until new consoles are showing up.
It's dissapointing there is nothing to look forward too on that front in the near future. ATI and nVidia can stop producing faster chips (after the GT212/GT300, Crysis will fast enough by then)

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=50830
*Intel i7@3,8gHz*Asus P6T Deluxe* 2x Sapphire HD7970 3GB Crossfire *6 GB Corsair Dominator 1600C8*OCZ Vertex 120 GB SSD*adaptec 19160U160*Intel X25 80 GB Quantum Atlas 15KII SCSI U160 147Gig* WD Raptor 300 GB*Apple 24" LED Cinema *X-Fi Titanium*Logitech Z5500*Coolmaster RP 1000W*W7 64 Home *
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 07:10 AM   #28
MaxFX
*BANNED*

Yeah even nVidia said that the consoles aint holding back the Pc a bit, it's more like they are setting the baseline higher. then it's just up to the devs how much they want to scale it up!

Some pc only games looks like total ****e so thanks to the consoles when it's multiplattform games the baseline is set higher. and then as I said everything from there on they can just scale it up. and thanks to that the consoles is that powerfull the baseline is much higher then it would be without them!

As time goes by the pc version just keeps getting better and better, we all know this and we all have talked about how much better e.x Mirrors Edge and Fallout 3 looks on Pc so in the end all is as it should be nice and dandy
MaxFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 08:11 AM   #29
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

The graphics market is being attacked on all sides.
-The consoles are currently able to offer near PC like experiences with the advent of HDTV & wide availability of online gaming.
-Hardware companies latest products have no software to compel the user to buy the latest and greatest
-The market is down, meaning R&D budgets are down.
-The diminishing returns aspect as mentioned means we need a change in concept and idea rather than just more power.
GPUs are incredibly powerful number crunchers, and came a long way very quickly in a highly competitive marketplace. 2001-2008 may be looked back on as a golden age of PC gaming. Or maybe I'm just nostalgic already
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 09:35 AM   #30
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytaylor View Post
GPUs are incredibly powerful number crunchers, and came a long way very quickly in a highly competitive marketplace. 2001-2008 may be looked back on as a golden age of PC gaming. Or maybe I'm just nostalgic already
That's where the true problem lies. GPU's have long since surpassed simple CPU's in raw processing power, and people (namely gamers) are starting to realize it. CPU's have always concentrated on pushing more and more power out of their chips, while GPU's have become increasingly more parallel (more processor cores). When it all averages out, GPU's are way beyond conventional processors, and companies like nvidia are investing in applying this towards the next generation of CPU's... I mean think about it.. A new CPU based on a current GPU chip would have 30x the processing power on multithreaded applications compared to a conventional Core 2 Quad, or even the newer i7... and it would cost the same as an i7 940!

I really like where the market is going, but until we get out of this slump our economy is in, we're not going anywhere fast.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 09:53 AM   #31
Destroy

As far as consoles setting and throttling the pace, BS. As history shows, it's usually the upstart PC companies that push the envelope and graphic pace.... id, Epic, Crytek.

Others have stated it, huge graphic leaps are no longer visibly that huge any more, and never will be until maybe a Star Trek holodeck comes along.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 10:03 AM   #32
Skinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
As far as consoles setting and throttling the pace, BS. As history shows, it's usually the upstart PC companies that push the envelope and graphic pace.... id, Epic, Crytek.

Others have stated it, huge graphic leaps are no longer visibly that huge any more, and never will be until maybe a Star Trek holodeck comes along.

Epic has also shifted towards the consolestandards.

Crytek and GSC Game World (Stalker) are the last Mohicans.
*Intel i7@3,8gHz*Asus P6T Deluxe* 2x Sapphire HD7970 3GB Crossfire *6 GB Corsair Dominator 1600C8*OCZ Vertex 120 GB SSD*adaptec 19160U160*Intel X25 80 GB Quantum Atlas 15KII SCSI U160 147Gig* WD Raptor 300 GB*Apple 24" LED Cinema *X-Fi Titanium*Logitech Z5500*Coolmaster RP 1000W*W7 64 Home *
Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-09, 11:20 AM   #33
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
That's where the true problem lies. GPU's have long since surpassed simple CPU's in raw processing power, and people (namely gamers) are starting to realize it. CPU's have always concentrated on pushing more and more power out of their chips, while GPU's have become increasingly more parallel (more processor cores). When it all averages out, GPU's are way beyond conventional processors, and companies like nvidia are investing in applying this towards the next generation of CPU's... I mean think about it.. A new CPU based on a current GPU chip would have 30x the processing power on multithreaded applications compared to a conventional Core 2 Quad, or even the newer i7... and it would cost the same as an i7 940!

I really like where the market is going, but until we get out of this slump our economy is in, we're not going anywhere fast.
Though this is a very valid point, you must take into consideration what will currently sell. The average consumer and PC user will have a hard time doing anything to fully max a current dual-core processor, let alone a quad-core or even "octa"-core i7. If they were to start designing applications to run on the GPU instead of the CPU... we'd be at a place of diminishing returns.

Think about it- if you could take Windows Vista Ultimate x64 and have only a GTX260 power all the processing functions... how effective would that be? Oh, I'm certain in a scenerio where you were doing a lot of multitasking it'd rock. But, that's not often the case so most of the use would be single threaded and thus... would it really pan out that well?

I don't think we're ready for GPGPU yet. I think we need an OS that is from the ground-up geared to native 64-bit code and has heavy emphasis on multi-threading. So much so the OS should act as a "global profile" (if I may borrow that from SLi ) for single threaded applications to make the function as if they were multi-threaded, where applicable of course.

This is my $.02, granted, I really don't know how much of what I just said is even possible, it just sounds good I think.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 12:54 PM   #34
Zhivago
*BANNED*

I am not aware of anything that will top CryEngine 2 for the time being for graphics. As others have noted, things like physics and AI can be just as important into making a believable, immersive world.
Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-09, 01:37 PM   #35
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
Every year or two, since I can remember, games always seem to see a significant improvement in graphics quality, in the past there was awlays something on the horizon that I thought looked great and was eager to see, but lately... meh... nothings really sparks my interest...

I still don't see anything on the horizon that will make Crysis look dated... we stuck with this level of graphic quality/detail for the next few years or even the foreseeable future?
Nah bro, CryENGINE3 will come in 2012 and rule the world of realtime computing graphics! Cevat said it would be on par with CGi graphics such as Finding nemo, Surfs up, madagaskar, shrek etc..

Just smile and wait boys.. just smile and wait. For now, hardware is the limit i tell you that for sure! Damn, todays hardware can't barely handle crysis ffs.. Even so, crysis is very limited with LOD and Drawdistance settings that gain alot of performance, remove that and u'll get 3 fps hahaha... GTX 380 BRING IT ON nVidia!
Old 02-14-09, 02:07 PM   #36
Yaboze

I think next gen consoles will up the ante. Personally, I still think CoD4 and 5, Fear 2, Far Cry 2 look really good, not as good as Crysis, but still look good and are fun. Gameplay with good running graphics is what I prefer over amazing graphics that runs like crap with so-so gameplay.

Right now, consoles (except Wii) are sold as "HD", but many games aren't even 1280x720, the lowest resolution for HD.

I think the next gen consoles have to be designed around being able to game at 1920x1080 with 60 (in some cases maybe 30) solid FPS. I don't think I have one game that runs at 1080 on my 360. Examples of games that look <720p are Halo 3, GTA IV.

1920x1080 and 1920x1200 will be standard going forward, even when 30"+ panels come out with higher resolutions.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote