Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-09, 12:10 AM   #61
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Default Re: Dawn of War 2....do people live under a rock???

Quote:
Originally Posted by skank View Post
You are limited to only capturing one comm tower, monument or industrial building per visit to a map. Notice that, when the generators are deployed to that building, the voice says that you won't be able to deploy any more. You get to visit each map multiple times anyway so this mechanic encourages you to explore different parts of the map on each visit, so you don't explore the whole map at once. I like this game mechanic, as you can also plan what you want to capture depending on which missions are upcoming, for instance, I chose to capture a monument over a comm tower so I would have access to more "invulnerability" on the mission after (forgot the name of the ability). All in all I'm still loving this game and I'm over half way through the single player campaign.

Thanks for posting about the bonus stuff too, got my code, can't wait to get home tomorrow morning and check out my new gear!
With regards to the invulnerability, that is called the Rosarius. Also capturing the monuments holds back a great deal of infestation(of what, I will not say so as not to spoil anything).

As for my opinion on the game, I'm loving it right now. The tactical combat combined with the RPG elements make for a quite an addicting combination in my book. The graphics and audio are also well done. I've only had one crash with the game on the system in my signature, but no other technical issues. Friend of mine just picked this up, so I'm looking forward to trying out the coop in the game as well. All in all a great game so far.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 02:24 AM   #62
Buio

*** minor spoiler, item ***

Saw this on forums.relicnews.com
http://i39.tinypic.com/2m5axvs.jpg
Check out his ranged damage! The heavy bolter is a mission reward so it's possible for all to get. Then he has blue armor + two items that increases ranged damage.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 09:52 AM   #63
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by skank View Post
You are limited to only capturing one comm tower, monument or industrial building per visit to a map. Notice that, when the generators are deployed to that building, the voice says that you won't be able to deploy any more. You get to visit each map multiple times anyway so this mechanic encourages you to explore different parts of the map on each visit, so you don't explore the whole map at once. I like this game mechanic, as you can also plan what you want to capture depending on which missions are upcoming, for instance, I chose to capture a monument over a comm tower so I would have access to more "invulnerability" on the mission after (forgot the name of the ability). All in all I'm still loving this game and I'm over half way through the single player campaign.

Thanks for posting about the bonus stuff too, got my code, can't wait to get home tomorrow morning and check out my new gear!
Yes, I understand the reasoning, I am just someone who prefers more freedom in games overall, except for FPS games. It would be cool if the entire maps on all the planets were open to you and you could fly down to what area you choose at any time. When there is a mission you choose to go there, or you can explore other areas. I like freedom.

It's still an awesome game though, don't get me wrong.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 03:16 PM   #64
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio View Post
There is some free Live extras if you register on THQ here:
http://www.thq-games.com/uk/news/show/6377
(only available to first 100k)

With this you will unlock the gear pictured here:
http://www.thq-games.com/resources/c...f85e2a36ca.jpg
Thanks for the tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
Only thing that bugs me is, unlike in all other RTS games, I cannot tell by looking at the minimap which parts of the level I've uncovered and which are still unvisited.
Hm I don't remember this being a problem in Company of Heroes?
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 03:27 PM   #65
ASUSEN7900GTX

*SPOILER* Warning!!!!

i am on a mission in the typhoon sector trying to get to a tyranid dude a bad ass but i am overwhelmed by the other critters and sucj i fail over and over it is the point where i have to do some missions to get some sort of weapon to kill these m.f critters.

so how do i manage these beasts the first warrior mission is done now the infestation is way big
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 05:16 PM   #66
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
For reals? It's easy. Just capture points and make a proper sweep as you go.
No, as I said the map doesn't "uncover" in the traditional RTS sense, it stays darkened with only a small radius around your units all the time no matter where you've already been. Makes proper sweeps kinda difficult.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 08:15 PM   #67
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan

Can anyone tell me if this DOW2 supports multiple profiles?
Just like DOW1 did?
Richteralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-09, 09:30 PM   #68
Sabadin

You can run multiple campaigns at once without them interfering with each other if thats what you mean.
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-09, 10:35 PM   #69
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
No, as I said the map doesn't "uncover" in the traditional RTS sense, it stays darkened with only a small radius around your units all the time no matter where you've already been. Makes proper sweeps kinda difficult.
Not really. Just remember where you have been. Then again, I work with maps all day so maybe I have an advantage. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 05:22 AM   #70
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richteralan View Post
Can anyone tell me if this DOW2 supports multiple profiles?
Just like DOW1 did?
Here is a rant to answer your question.

I just bought a PC RTS game. I expect to be able to pick any available nickname for playing online multiplayer that I want. This is not the case.

You see, you have to log into a "Games For Windows Live" account to even start the game. I tried making a new account, but my email was already tied up to an Xbox360 Live account (!!!). I never use my Xbox360 anymore and thus I was forced to log on and use my old nickname unless I wanted to create a new account on a different email address (which I don't). Can I change the online nickname or anything ingame? No. You have that one account/nickname, so no chance of smurfing, which is fine with me. But I can't change the name. To do so, I read in a FAQ, I have to use an Xbox360 connected to the internet and log in with that gamertag and pay 800 MS points / 10$ to change the gamertag name. What. The. ****.

Now I'm stuck with using an old nickname both in multiplayer in my new PC RTS in 2009 because of my Xbox360 gaming years ago in 2006/2007. That is not cool.

Of course it wouldn't be a problem if I had picked my usual nickname when I made my Xbox360 Live Account. However because I used "Gaco" on XBL on the Xbox1 and cancelled my subscription before getting an Xbox360 years later, that nickname was apparently frozen, lost in no-mans-land. I wasn't allowed to use it again because it was already in their system, but no one was allowed to use it anyway because the subscription was cancelled.

Sigh microsoft, deep sigh... I have to say that Valve is doing so much better with Steam than Microsoft is with Games For Windows Live. It's like GFWL is a money machine, trying to make you buy you extra content etc. Steam, on the other hand, feels like a service to the PC Gamer.
Old 02-24-09, 08:58 AM   #71
Richteralan
The Enigma

Send a message via ICQ to Richteralan Send a message via MSN to Richteralan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco View Post
Here is a rant to answer your question.

I just bought a PC RTS game. I expect to be able to pick any available nickname for playing online multiplayer that I want. This is not the case.

You see, you have to log into a "Games For Windows Live" account to even start the game. I tried making a new account, but my email was already tied up to an Xbox360 Live account (!!!). I never use my Xbox360 anymore and thus I was forced to log on and use my old nickname unless I wanted to create a new account on a different email address (which I don't). Can I change the online nickname or anything ingame? No. You have that one account/nickname, so no chance of smurfing, which is fine with me. But I can't change the name. To do so, I read in a FAQ, I have to use an Xbox360 connected to the internet and log in with that gamertag and pay 800 MS points / 10$ to change the gamertag name. What. The. ****.

Now I'm stuck with using an old nickname both in multiplayer in my new PC RTS in 2009 because of my Xbox360 gaming years ago in 2006/2007. That is not cool.

Of course it wouldn't be a problem if I had picked my usual nickname when I made my Xbox360 Live Account. However because I used "Gaco" on XBL on the Xbox1 and cancelled my subscription before getting an Xbox360 years later, that nickname was apparently frozen, lost in no-mans-land. I wasn't allowed to use it again because it was already in their system, but no one was allowed to use it anyway because the subscription was cancelled.

Sigh microsoft, deep sigh... I have to say that Valve is doing so much better with Steam than Microsoft is with Games For Windows Live. It's like GFWL is a money machine, trying to make you buy you extra content etc. Steam, on the other hand, feels like a service to the PC Gamer.
heh Thanks for your reply...guess I should've knew this because it uses GFWL and Steam
Richteralan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-09, 10:33 AM   #72
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richteralan View Post
heh Thanks for your reply...guess I should've knew this because it uses GFWL and Steam
Well besides this annoying issue, I'm absolutely loving the game