Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-25-09, 01:52 PM   #85
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Default Re: Dawn of War 2....do people live under a rock???

I'm getting some weird slowdowns all the time.. There is no obvious cause for them, and when they begin I have tried zooming out, zooming in, looking at empty land etc., it seems that it's independent of what's going on, it seems more like it's on a timer and disappears about 8 seconds after it started.

Does anyone have a clue? It's somewhat ruining the game experience for me, constantly jumping between 30-40 FPS (I think) and what feels like 10 FPS :/

I have the newest 182.06 forceware drivers.. I'm thinking of perhaps doing a reformat since it's been a while (6 months and I've been downloading extensively off utorrent for the past 3 months), but it's no garantee of success and pretty time consuming so I'd rather try and fix it
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 03:31 PM   #86
glObalist
working as intended

Alright I gotta admit I suck pretty bad at this game's SP campaign, and that's on the second lowest difficulty. To illustrate, I'm on day 12 and only got 2 bonus deployments- mostly due to not understanding what the heck is going on outside the actual missions and not taking advantage of it.

I'm just too tired after my workday to wrap my head around all these tips, sector updates, the overall workings of the campaing.

Is there a wlaktrhough/strategy guide sort of thing one can reference in order to l2pwn in DoW2?
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 03:33 PM   #87
|MaguS|

The retail game is steam enabled out of the box right? Like it will tie itself to steam so I don't have to use the disc?
Old 02-25-09, 05:34 PM   #88
Sabadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
The retail game is steam enabled out of the box right? Like it will tie itself to steam so I don't have to use the disc?
Correct
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-09, 11:40 PM   #89
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist View Post
Alright I gotta admit I suck pretty bad at this game's SP campaign, and that's on the second lowest difficulty. To illustrate, I'm on day 12 and only got 2 bonus deployments- mostly due to not understanding what the heck is going on outside the actual missions and not taking advantage of it.

I'm just too tired after my workday to wrap my head around all these tips, sector updates, the overall workings of the campaing.

Is there a wlaktrhough/strategy guide sort of thing one can reference in order to l2pwn in DoW2?
I have a tip. PLay is after a good night sleep on a weekend. Easy isn't all that bad at all. I'm on medium and I've only had to revive a squad leader few times now and I'm getting towards the end. Then again. I'm pretty much uber mega God at everything.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 12:05 AM   #90
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
I have a tip. PLay is after a good night sleep on a weekend. Easy isn't all that bad at all. I'm on medium and I've only had to revive a squad leader few times now and I'm getting towards the end. Then again. I'm pretty much uber mega God at everything.
I do tire of the almost constant "defend this, defend that" crap. Like some of the other posters in this thread I wouldn't mind a little freedom to do some exploring in between defending a foundry for the 300th time by the ever so persistent orks/eldar/tyranid.

Other than that a fantastic game overall. I think my party was a bit overpowered for the last battle, but it was sufficiently epic enough. Now for some coop.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 12:08 AM   #91
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

There isn't THAT much defending.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 12:20 AM   #92
Sidric
Evil Clown Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
There isn't THAT much defending.
LOL. once I got close to the final mission, just about after every deployment something was getting attacked. didn't really have time to do any optional missions, it was 90% defending crap. -SPOILER ALERT INCOMING-

I mean I would've thought that after I took down the Eldar Avatar and the Ork Warboss the attacks would've slow down a bit, but nope. even leaderless they are some persistent little devils. got some nice gear along the way though, so it wasn't all bad.
[CPU]Intel Q6600 w/ TR Ultra-120 Extreme @ 3GHz
[Mobo]EVGA nForce 680i
[Memory]OCZ PC2-8500 4GB
[GPU] BFG GTX 260
[Sound] ASUS Sonar Dx
[HDD]
--WD Raptor 150GBx2(Raid 0 Striped)--
--Seagate Barrucuda 300GB--
[OS]Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
[Monitor]Gateway FPD2485W

Live/Xfire/PSN: SidRic SteamID: 3_gh05t_3
Sidric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-09, 03:21 AM   #93
Buio

They could have made more variations in the campaign indeed. The final part when you are doing optional missions to level up and get gear gets repetitive with a lot of same missions. Some times you clear an area in a defense mission, and right after it gets a second defense mission on the same map.

Overall I'm very happy with the game anyway, but if they had added a bit more variation in the single player campaign it would have been awesome.

Also there should be a button for Skirmish games right at the start screen. As it is now, you have to dig a bit to start one. The AI isn't great in skirmish either, which is surprising since it was better in Company of Heroes.

On the graphics and effect side, this game rules. Relic do know how to do explosions and destruction. Extremely satisfying when your large units just plow through walls and terrain (although they do destroy cover for smaller units).
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-09, 05:43 PM   #94
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Just got this game yesterday, so far I really like it. Throwing building out of the door completely is a nice change that works well, and adding in all the good parts of WC3 was a great touch. Also in an age where RTS games need more units on screen and bigger battles to seem refreshing, the rather small amount of units (and lack of building more) does not detract from this game as each unit type has a variety of skills and abilities as well as staying power, so never was I wishing I could build more units. I do wish I didn't have to leave units on the ship though, when you want to build an army that works well together, you can't afford to make one that isn't going to be there, so in the end you will have units sitting out forever.

Graphicly it dosn't do anything new, but it looks quite nice, and the ultra setting runs smooth as butter on my rig. The graphics are quite polished with every particle effect and attack being well done and good looking.
Old 02-27-09, 03:10 AM   #95
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

LOVING this, it's all I'm playing, I have two different games going on right now. Coop with a friend of mine and my solo single player. I have to say going coop is MUCH better for micro-managing squads and equiping.

I have 2 Terminator suits that I'm wearing, just mostly for the armor, I'm using FC, Avitus, Tarkus, (Av and Tark in Terminators) FC is too good without Term gear. And I'm using the Dreadnaught as the main load out.

The Orc Warboss was a SoB!!! Man, I haven't fought the Avatar yet, but I'm sure I'm close. Got a TON of optional quests I'm doing so the main quest is on hold yet.

Avitus has 1.5k ranged dmg now...woooh. hopefully find some better armor/guns, cause I'm getting no where on loot drops imo. LEWTS NEED TO DR#EIOPS!!

One thing is, I wish all the guys in the squad would use the guns I equip the commanding units. It seems if I don't use terminator armor then the guys do actually equip all the weaps my cmder does.
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-09, 02:02 PM   #96
breathemetal
*BANNED*

Send a message via AIM to breathemetal

Im diggin this game
breathemetal is offline   Reply With Quote