Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-18-09, 02:29 AM   #25
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound
Default Re: Vista I think is great...for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamalama View Post
Could you elaborate a bit more about the XFi problem. I'm using Vista 64 and thinking about getting it.
Yes, I have problems with drivers (supposely are stable, but latest version reduce my FPS in games) and tried to change it between my 3 PCI buses without luck, basicly I see a performance loss in games, which can´t be logical due that XFi is more powerful than integrated audio and the fact that I learned to hate Creative after all the hassle I had with Vista and XFI, so I´m not a good advisor in this matter
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 06:57 AM   #26
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Why should anyone have "to get Vista to work properly"???

Especially when Windows 7 works out of the box. Dude, you look like a fool with comments like that. The reason Windows 7 works is because it's not nearly as busted as Vista always was. I don't have time to spend "to get Vista to work properly". Give me an OS that works properly like Windows 7.

Thanks for the laugh.
I look like the fool when your the genius who has problems with Vista, yet remarkably, 99.9% of the forums dont have any problems with Vista.

Then to compound that fact, your friends with one of the single largest anti-Vista trolls I have ever seen.

LOL like it matters what your opinion is of me
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 08:05 AM   #27
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I look like the fool when your the genius who has problems with Vista, yet remarkably, 99.9% of the forums dont have any problems with Vista.

Then to compound that fact, your friends with one of the single largest anti-Vista trolls I have ever seen.

LOL like it matters what your opinion is of me
Vista is dead - Vista problems will be gone forever and Windows 7 will reign supreme. Thank GOD MS accelerated the release to get Vista off the market.

Stop living in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 01:26 PM   #28
Sean_W

I'm pretty sure most people don't report crashes and problems with Vista here. Most of you have top range hardware, the problems with performance that people report you'll wonder why.

Last edited by Sean_W; 02-18-09 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 01:58 PM   #29
shteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Most of you have top range hardware, the problems with performance that people report you'll wonder why.
Is that a haiku?
Old 02-18-09, 02:18 PM   #30
FearMeAll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
I'm pretty sure most people don't report crashers and problem with Vista here. Most of you have top range hardware, the problems with performance that people report you'll wonder why.
I do remember installing Vista on my 2ghz coreduo 2gig ram laptop and and I quickly shot back to XP..it really did perform worse. I've run both XP and Vista on my 3.85ghz quad rig and I cannot for the life of me tell a difference in performance, so there just may be a clock speed where it doesn't matter.
My 3ghz core2duo rig in my basement has vista32 and I am very pleased with its performance so no upgrade there either.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 03:51 PM   #31
JasonPC

Windows 7 was not accelerated to oust Vista. It was the plan from the beginning to ship another OS within 3 years of the last release. Longhorn was the same way with XP but perhaps it got a little too ambitious and needed extra time to regroup into what became Vista.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 02:34 PM   #32
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK View Post
You can't say it's faster without quoting a source, hardware specs and the likes. You can be a cute little smart ass but that only gets you so far. I'm never said in my original post I've not seen these but your in a thread were the guy asked whether he should go to Windows 7 based on his current specs and you never offered a legitimate source proving WIndows 7 is better thank Vista on a machine comparable to his specs.

But thanks I do love that site, it makes me LOL every time I see someone do it.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-09, 02:38 PM   #33
pkirby11

Send a message via AIM to pkirby11

Quote:
Why should anyone have "to get Vista to work properly"???

Especially when Windows 7 works out of the box. Dude, you look like a fool with comments like that. The reason Windows 7 works is because it's not nearly as busted as Vista always was. I don't have time to spend "to get Vista to work properly". Give me an OS that works properly like Windows 7.

Thanks for the laugh.
Windows Vista doesn't work out of the box? Let me make a video for you next time I reformat my hard drive, which was last week. Lets see insert DVD, install drivers, install updates, setup preferences and done. Whats so hard about that? I didn't make it work for me. That's about the same thing I did for the Windows 7 beta, except I had to find some drivers which was a bit annoying but it is a beta.

Vista prior to SP1 did have a lot of problems but they made it much better. And it doesn't matter if prior to SP1 it sucked because you'll not find a retail of Vista sans SP1 or a OEM computer with out SP1.

PSN: pkirby11
pkirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 07:18 PM   #34
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirby11 View Post
Windows Vista doesn't work out of the box? Let me make a video for you next time I reformat my hard drive, which was last week. Lets see insert DVD, install drivers, install updates, setup preferences and done. Whats so hard about that? I didn't make it work for me. That's about the same thing I did for the Windows 7 beta, except I had to find some drivers which was a bit annoying but it is a beta.

Vista prior to SP1 did have a lot of problems but they made it much better. And it doesn't matter if prior to SP1 it sucked because you'll not find a retail of Vista sans SP1 or a OEM computer with out SP1.
Vista out of the box meant Vista RTM NOT SP1, NOT SP2. But the original out of the box Vista. It has gotten better with SP2 but like many others I had alot of issues the way it shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-09, 09:58 PM   #35
ViN86

Quote:
Vista out of the box meant Vista RTM NOT SP1, NOT SP2. But the original out of the box Vista. It has gotten better with SP2 but like many others I had alot of issues the way it shipped.
IIRC, many of the "issues" were the fact that software developers didn't make drivers... don't get me wrong, there were a few issues with basic functions (ie netword transfers and file copying), but the bulk of problems were drivers related to third party problems.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-09, 04:18 AM   #36
pakotlar

I know I'm going to get burned for saying this but...I liked Vista better than Win7 at this point. After Black Viper's service tweak, vista boots up within a shade of win7, and is just as snappy. In fact, it is actually a bit snappier. But like I said, my vista is about as lightened as you possibly can without making drastic changes to the os. But its the same way I treat all my OS's. Win 7 does have a bit of a smaller footprint in absolute MB's (about 100MB), but who cares. Also, Win7 has some issues in the beta that Vista doesn't have.

I was suprised, I thought I would run Win7 almost exclusively. But it really is so incredibly similar to Vista.

Running 3.7ghz Core i7, 3gb Ram, Gtx 260+, 7200rpm slow ass hard drives (no raid).

edit: Oh and shock and awe, but I prefer vista to Win XP too!.

The only thing that I do notice is that with Aero on, with transparency or off, the UI is less responsive than XP's. However, that dissapears when you revert to no DWM, basic ass vista, which makes it to look basically the same as XP. Though I prefer to run with Aero/transparency, or sometimes sans the transp. and it is plenty fast.

I think that Win7 is snake oil for a looooot of people. They are finding a miracle in a different product, even if that product is only marginally better. Whatever makes you happy though.

All this being said, Win7 does take the lead in performance in benchmarks, sometimes by a significant margin, even if the absolute times would probably not be noticed by most, as long as they did some basic service tweaks to vista. However, it is hard to justify sticking with an OS that is slower.

As far as spending money on Win7 goes, I definetely wouldn't if you already have Vista. The latter gets a bad rap, but with proper care is a great OS. If your hardware is fast enough it defenitely doesn't feel sluggish.