Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-09, 12:04 PM   #1
ngolian

Default 9800GTX+ crashing, hardware or software?

Every few days my graphics card crashes. The display gets corrupted in a pattern reminiscent of brickwork. I'm pretty sure each time it's happened it's been while I'm scrolling a window. If I'm quick enough I can save whatever I'm editing, press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace and Ctrl-Alt-Delete and reboot cleanly, otherwise the whole system freezes after a couple of seconds.

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this and knows the cause.

It was working fine until recently. I've had the crashes with both 180.22-2 and 173.14.09-5 drivers; my system runs Debian unstable x64. I'm now trying 180.22-2 with UseFBDev disabled (I had it enabled before) and if it crashes again I'll try the open source nv driver, then my old card (8600GTS).
ngolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 06:56 PM   #2
ngolian

Default Re: 9800GTX+ crashing, hardware or software?

I've taken a photo of it. It looks like the sort of thing you get with a RAM fault, but the way it's consistently triggered by scrolling (except it was once triggered by launching an OpenGL game) still makes me think it could be a driver issue, but it affects all versions I've tried (now on 180.29-1).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nvcrash.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	35895  
Old 03-08-09, 11:24 PM   #3
Thoop

I'm currently experiencing the same problem on debian. I have a 9800 gtx also. I was running debian 32-bit etch and it happened there, then I upgraded to lenny recently and it happened again. It looks exactly like the picture you have attached.

I installed the nvidia 9 series driver as soon as I installed debian so I'm not sure if this would have happened without it. Let me know if you find anything. I might have to RMA it before the time is up if this continues. Anyone else have this issue or know how to solve it?

EDIT: I reinstalled a fresh debian etch and then upgraded to lenny right away. Installed basic things like gcc, g++, automake, mysql, eclipse....nothing major. I didn't install any nvidia drivers so I'm just using the default config. I'll post back if I get that freeze without the driver.
Thoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 09:44 AM   #4
ngolian

So you're like me, had the crashes with the NVidia driver and you're now trying the basic one from xorg? I had an 8600GTS before, that was fine, and I think I was using the 173 drivers on that for a significant period.

I don't think I can return mine now unless it is a hardware fault. I wouldn't know what to use instead anyway, I suppose I'd have to downgrade to my 8600GTS which I haven't sold yet.
Old 03-09-09, 11:47 AM   #5
Redeeman

i also have stability issues, 9800gtx+
Redeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 11:57 AM   #6
ngolian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeeman View Post
i also have stability issues, 9800gtx+
Only with the NVidia binary driver, or with xorg's nv driver too?
Old 03-09-09, 12:06 PM   #7
Redeeman

binary driver.. it only happens in conjunction with opengl here..
Redeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-09, 12:58 PM   #8
ngolian

Interesting. I haven't been using OpenGL much, so perhaps that's why I only noticed OpenGL crashing it the once. Usually it's scrolling a window, eg Firefox, or a GTK text editor. What about you, thoop?

Old 03-09-09, 01:24 PM   #9
Thoop

Since I reinstalled, I haven't had any problems using the default xorg nv driver. Of course, I only reinstalled last night so it could be too early to come to a conclusion but it seems to be working fine now. I know you can roll back to the xorg nv driver without reinstalling....I just had to reinstall anyways.
Old 03-09-09, 02:15 PM   #10
ngolian

Early days then, I can go for a week or so between crashes. If we both make it to, say, next Monday, I reckon we can blame the NVidia driver.
Old 03-09-09, 03:15 PM   #11
Thoop

Did you roll back to the xorg nv default? I'll keep checking back and post if I come across another freeze
Old 03-09-09, 03:27 PM   #12
ngolian

Yes, except I've just had to load the binary driver to watch TV, because VDR only works (fully) with xine, which seems to need at least xv. This time I'll switch back to the nv driver as soon as I've finished watching and carry on sticking to it as much as possible for a week or so.