Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-09, 06:36 PM   #49
Cheshire Cat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Thank you!
Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 06:44 PM   #50
kabage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Thank you
kabage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 08:33 PM   #51
rv77ax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ::1
Posts: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to rv77ax
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Just a quick update: we've tracked down the problem and it should be fixed in the next release.
(i must register to say this)

thank you. this is the second reason why i recommend NVidia to others.
rv77ax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 10:14 PM   #52
kantlivelong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 48
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

YAY! Thx Aaron!

( how about powermizer now )
kantlivelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 07:33 AM   #53
Go7300
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 38
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go7300 View Post
No problem here in konsole kde 4.2. Is it possible you got a different keyboard driver loaded somehow. I notice nvidia-xconfig creates a xorg.conf with a kbd driver entry, whereas xorg wants to use evdev for keyboards. See if it's something like that.
After running for more than a day, I must now take this back. I'm having the same problems as others report.
Go7300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 08:18 AM   #54
dragonagat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Just a quick update: we've tracked down the problem and it should be fixed in the next release.
Thanks.
dragonagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:07 PM   #55
Space
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv77ax View Post
(i must register to say this)

thank you. this is the second reason why i recommend NVidia to others.
And this is the reason why I will not buy or recommend NVidia again. It took me two days to figure out why my system was behaving so strangely (after a Gentoo world update) and I never thought that a *DISPLAY* driver can cause problems like ctrl-c and other keys don't work in some apps but not in others.

I don't know what they got wrong but calling this driver stable tells me they did not do very much QA in these drivers. And I still very much remember the performance problems which were obviously neglected for a very long time.

Bye bye Nvidia. Maybe you will see me again after opening your drivers but I don't think so.
Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:55 PM   #56
rapsure
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 47
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Well have fun in the search for a card that comes with a better driver!

From my own experience nVidia has the most feature rich driver.

Comparison:
nVidia = stable (most of the time), supports GL compositing window managers, opengl 3.0, okay developer response for bugs in the forums, good 2d performance (180 series on G80 and newer), excellent 3d performance.

ATI/AMD = Crashes computer on occasion, supports GL compositing window manager, opengl 3.0, no such thing as developer response to bugs, okay 2d performance, and good 3d performance.

Opensource drivers: = stable, supports GL compositing window manager, opengl 2.0 (intel only) the rest support opengl 1.3 and older only, okay 2d performance, poor 3d performance (not optimized), and excellent developer response to bugs (depends on driver of course).

One of the biggest differences and could improve is better response to bugs from nVidia such as this bug. For example I've had problems with the xf86-video-ati and stability before and I file a bug into the bugzilla and I'll get a response. Then as soon as the fix is applied I get download a git or a new version is quickly released. I haven't had all bugs responded to with the xf86-video-ati drivers which are different than the ati-drivers that are produced by AMD.

Like nVidia would be really awesome if they release an updated driver version that fixed this bug in a day or two. Even if they don't they'll still have one of the best response times to getting this bug fixed for any of the video card drivers. The nVidia driver is a very complex driver and so bugs like this can creep up from time to time. However having a little better testing probably would have prevented this driver from being released. Then again this bug didn't affect everyone and may have just quietly slipped passed the QA machines at nVidia to the masses which is understandable.

Now video card drivers could arguably be considered on the most complex driver to write as there are a lot of timing issues that come with it. The next most complex are the drivers dealing with storage (SATA, PATA, SCSI, SAS). The more complex the hardware is the more complex the driver is to write generally speaking.
rapsure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-09, 03:19 PM   #57
xorbe
Unbuffered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space View Post
And this is the reason why I will not buy or recommend NVidia again. It took me two days to figure out why my system was behaving so strangely (after a Gentoo world update) and I never thought that a *DISPLAY* driver can cause problems like ctrl-c and other keys don't work in some apps but not in others.

I don't know what they got wrong but calling this driver stable tells me they did not do very much QA in these drivers. And I still very much remember the performance problems which were obviously neglected for a very long time.

Bye bye Nvidia. Maybe you will see me again after opening your drivers but I don't think so.
What you don't understand is that the nVidia driver takes advantage of the X hooks and replaces large chunks of the server to accomplish what it does. What they've provided for us 95% of the time is a miracle, given the X architecture. If you want to throw down smack, complain about X...

Also, it's a beta driver. No one is forcing you to use it. 180.29 is available for reinstall as usual.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 07:41 PM   #58
ozra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
What you don't understand is that the nVidia driver takes advantage of the X hooks and replaces large chunks of the server to accomplish what it does. What they've provided for us 95% of the time is a miracle, given the X architecture. If you want to throw down smack, complain about X...

Also, it's a beta driver. No one is forcing you to use it. 180.29 is available for reinstall as usual.
I can sympathise with other posters. Not all of us are happy about broken drivers after we have spent money on IGP or Dedicated cards. If you take into consideration how long it has taken to get here and that some things are still not fixed (8200 chipset - no hdmi Video out) etc it is easy to understand the frustration.

Driver is released as Stable:

Current releases
Stable: 180.35

Legacy releases for GeForce 5 series GPUs
Stable: 173.14.12
Beta: 173.14.17

Legacy releases for GeForce 2 through GeForce 4 series GPUs
Stable: 96.43.11

Legacy releases for Riva TNT, TNT2, GeForce, and some GeForce 2 GPUs
Stable: 71.86.06
Beta: 71.86.08
ozra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 03:12 AM   #59
xorbe
Unbuffered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 388
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Wow I got the smack down in two threads today.

180.35 was marked stable? Sigh, that does make the last two stable releases worse than the betas which were between.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 06:18 AM   #60
oyvind
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Norway
Posts: 117
Default Re: 180.35 breaks terminal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
Wow I got the smack down in two threads today.

180.35 was marked stable? Sigh, that does make the last two stable releases worse than the betas which were between.
It might have been marked stable in this forum, but it's not available here yet:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
oyvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gigabyte Breaks Ivy Bridge and DDR3 Overclocking World Records News Archived News Items 0 05-30-12 05:00 PM
Chip Shot: Intel Breaks the Top 10 on "The Gartner Supply Chain Top 25" List News Archived News Items 0 05-26-12 06:00 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.