Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-04-03, 03:00 AM   #1
mphansen

Default Laptop not working properly when on battery

Hi.

My system is:

Dell Latitude C840 with NVidia GeForce4 440 Go graphics card. Redhat 9 with latest updates.

I have the 4363 driver installed and everything works fine when battery is charging. However, if I remove the power cable the system (mostly just X) will after a few minutes crash. The screen resolution will decrease and everything is streched horizontally. Colors also look odd.

My first guess is that it has something to do with power management, but it happens even if I keep on working on my laptop.

Has anyone experienced something familiar? If so did you find a solution? Any comments/surgestions will be appreciated.

Regards
Mads
mphansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-03, 05:40 AM   #2
Thunderbird

I don't know all about nvidia and laptops. But there are still lots of troubles with nvidia based laptops and power management. Power management is unsupported. (suspending ......)
Perhaps your problem is related to it. Can't help more.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-03, 03:41 AM   #3
mphansen

After disabling power management in BIOS the crashes I described in my previous post do not occur.

However, I'm not able to use my laptop's special keys (ex. Fn-F1 which is setup. The system crashes (blank screen) when I leave setup). This is something I can live with and I do not know if the issue is related to the NVIDIA driver.

Regards
mphansen is offline   Reply With Quote