Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-03-02, 02:09 AM   #1
Typedef Enum

Default GTA Thoughts?

I knew going in that I was not going to like this game...and it took all of about 1 minute to confirm my suspicions.

I must ask the question...Why would anybody like this game? Looking at the thing "as is," it definitely looked very cheap. From the user interface, all the way to the actual game itself.

Then, of course, is the actual gameplay itself. I cannot fathom how anybody could get any entertainment value from this game?! Look, I'm not one of these dudes that is opposed to violence, etc. Hell, I served in the military for 6 years before going back to college, etc. But I really see no entertainment value whatsoever in this title...

So...is there anybody who likes this kind of game able to try to explain how/why they like it?
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 02:30 AM   #2
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

this game was so fun, lets you take out your frustrations while not doing anyone actual harm!

I didn't think it was "cheap", I thought it had that Macromedia Flash cartoony look, gave it a certain flair...

I enjoyed it
Old 09-03-02, 02:23 PM   #3
PCarr78

I love this game!

It's just so much fun!

It is a game i'd actually buy, unlike maxpayne which was the biggest piece of ****ing donkey **** ever released!

And no, im not exagerating when i call Max Payne the biggest piece of ****ing donkey **** ever released!

I actually bought it, so I should know! It left a brown streak on my cd-rom's tray
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 03:41 PM   #4
Cereal-Killer

GTA3 is great because you can go anywhere and do anything you want. It's also one of those games that gets better the more you play it. Very addictive.

User interface and gameplay are very console-like, but that doesn't bother me too much.
Cereal-Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 03:52 PM   #5
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Typedef, I had the same initial thoughts as you did, but my perceptions radically changed when I started getting into the game.

My main gripe against this game is its total lack of optimized code. The highest resolution at which I can play the game and still use FSAA is 1024x768. Anything higher with FSAA and it absolutely chokes. And anisotropic filtering? Forget about it. I wish Rockstar had taken some time to more tightly code the game.

Technical complaints aside, this game has been an absolute blast to play. I even have fun loading up a game, cheating up some weapons and just running around destroying anything and everything that gets in my way.

Is this the best PC game ever made? Hell no. But I will say it's the most fun I've had with a PC game since probably Half-Life and I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy it.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 05:51 PM   #6
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

If you don't like GTA 3 (which is hard to imagine), try Mafia out. It's like GTA 3, but with much more meaningful and interesting missions.