Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-02-09, 07:54 AM   #121
|MaguS|

Default Re: ***Official Killzone 2 Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfctony View Post
Like Magus said, play it on Veteran people. It's not so hard to get annoying, but you really need to be careful to proceed. I started the game on normal, no comparison in enemy responses and aim. I mean what's the natural thing to do when the enemy is taking cover in a small room? Flush them out with grenades. That's what the AI did to me. 3 times in a row. But only on Veteran. On normal they behave nothing like this... It's like a whole different game, a better game...
Yeah, The AI is just insane. I was surprised at how well they work together also. Often I see them giving eachother covering fire and using nades together (one threw one through one door while another threw one through the window... i was just ****ed.)
Old 03-03-09, 10:09 AM   #122
LurkerLito

I just played this last night and I think it looks great but I have to agree that like the demo something feels off with the controls. I also have an issue with it's gamma slider in that it doesn't go high enough for my TV. I set it to max and yet I can't see anything in the box even after I also max my TV's brightness. That's a first for any game with a gamma slider for me.

Is it just me or does the FOV feel off also? Maybe it's just because the controls don't seem to do what I want it to do so it feels like my FOV is smaller.

Well I am on the fence about keeping the game. So far I think it is OK but I don't know if I'll keep it. I guess it depends on if I can get use to the control feel as I try and finish off the single player campaign.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 10:10 AM   #123
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
I just played this last night and I think it looks great but I have to agree that like the demo something feels off with the controls. I also have an issue with it's gamma slider in that it doesn't go high enough for my TV. I set it to max and yet I can't see anything in the box even after I also max my TV's brightness. That's a first for any game with a gamma slider for me.

Is it just me or does the FOV feel off also? Maybe it's just because the controls don't seem to do what I want it to do so it feels like my FOV is smaller.

Well I am on the fence about keeping the game. So far I think it is OK but I don't know if I'll keep it. I guess it depends on if I can get use to control feel as I try and finish off the single player campaign.
sounds like you need to properly calibrate the brightness on your TV
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 11:17 AM   #124
|MaguS|

Killzone 2 is the 4th fastest selling Sony title (out of all their systems) in the UK ever now.
Old 03-03-09, 02:25 PM   #125
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
sounds like you need to properly calibrate the brightness on your TV
It's properly calibrated, the problem is the TV does not handle blacker than black content. It cuts off blacker than black values. It doesn't affect movies or TV since they follow the official NTSC standard that blacker than black values are considered unseen. Only games are affected as they seem to have the issue putting things in the Darker than black range. That is usually fixed by increasing the gamma on the game if it has that option. Again it is a Killzone 2 problem because it doesn't affect any other dark games that have gamma sliders like Dark Sector.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
Old 03-03-09, 04:27 PM   #126
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Been messing with scout... just finally finished unlocking the better scope... the better scope along with spot and mark and I am doing pretty dang good... loving this game... only beat about 4 of the SP levels so far though, lol... dang MP is too good.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 05:33 PM   #127
Gnaddel

My copy finally arrived, great game so far. I'm playing SP on veteran difficulty and the AI is a sneaky *****, indeed. A long time has passed since I died so often in a SP campaign.

Audiatur et altera pars!
Gnaddel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 05:43 PM   #128
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
It's properly calibrated, the problem is the TV does not handle blacker than black content. It cuts off blacker than black values. It doesn't affect movies or TV since they follow the official NTSC standard that blacker than black values are considered unseen. Only games are affected as they seem to have the issue putting things in the Darker than black range. That is usually fixed by increasing the gamma on the game if it has that option. Again it is a Killzone 2 problem because it doesn't affect any other dark games that have gamma sliders like Dark Sector.
You can't go darker then black. In the RGB setting all color to 0 creates black... you can't go lower. Even then on my TV it also doesn't show the image in the calibration screen yet it never gets too dark, everything is always properly displayed. Check your TV...

Old 03-03-09, 06:31 PM   #129
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
You can't go darker then black. In the RGB setting all color to 0 creates black... you can't go lower. Even then on my TV it also doesn't show the image in the calibration screen yet it never gets too dark, everything is always properly displayed. Check your TV...
It was a messed up PS3 setting. Setting the PS3 to RGB full makes the Black clip, setting RGB to Limited doesn't. That seems backwards to me but anyway. Now the gamma works as expected. The symbol in the box is visible. If you can't see the symbol change the RGB setting in your XMB menu settings.

It seems the RGB setting is for Games, while setting the y,Pb,Cr settings is for BluRay/DVD if supported by your TV (on mine it does). So the TV is calibrated correct with my DVE disc but it's output is Y,Pb,Cr mode, but the PS3 only sends RGB to the HDMI for games.

In NTSC Blacker than black = RGB black lower than 16, White = 235. Depending on your TV either black level 1-15 will be visible if you increase the brightness all the way or the TV will clip it.

Old 03-03-09, 06:37 PM   #130
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Been messing with scout... just finally finished unlocking the better scope... the better scope along with spot and mark and I am doing pretty dang good... loving this game... only beat about 4 of the SP levels so far though, lol... dang MP is too good.
Lol same here I think I only did the first 4 levels. I probably should blame you for me playing MP without beating the game. Starting to get really good at the game. Got a couple first place matches last night. It will only get better from here! I need to get the repair and flying bot. The flying bot is with the engineer right?

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 07:41 PM   #131
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us View Post
Lol same here I think I only did the first 4 levels. I probably should blame you for me playing MP without beating the game. Starting to get really good at the game. Got a couple first place matches last night. It will only get better from here! I need to get the repair and flying bot. The flying bot is with the engineer right?
No... the flying bot is from the Tactician... it is easy to get, but the flying bots don't do much for me personally... although if I have a crappy team and have to defend, I will pick engineer (prim) and tactician (sec) so I can set 3 turrets and have a bot helping me defend lol.

Basically the class breakdown is like this though...
Medic:
Primary - Revive
Secondary - Medpack

Engineer:
Primary - Turret
Secondary - Repair (one of the best skills ever because starting ammo is pretty limited, and getting on a mounted MG = win)

Tactician:
Primary - Smoke grenade (teammates can spawn where you throw it)
Secondary - Air support bot thing

Assault:
Primary - Extra armor and health
Secondary - Boost (running quickly and some health regen I think)

Saboteur:
Primary - Disguise (think TF2)
Secondary - Proximity mines

Scout:
Primary - Cloak
Secondary - Spot and Mark (it freaking shows you any enemy within LoS)

Think that is it... hopefully I am not forgetting anything :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 12:46 AM   #132
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Oh so you can combine the primary and secondary for classes as well? Working on getting the repair for the engineer. I unlocked the scout but haven't tried it yet.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote