Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-26-10, 03:43 PM   #13
MartinE

Default Re: Feature Request: KMS support

So, are there any news as to when/if the official driver will support KMS, by witch I mean an fbdev driver, seamless transitions to X and whatever else is needed to completely support Plymouth? This is 2010, and it's ridiculous that my OS still switches to text mode during boot - or that it can't provide a smooth integrated animation until it's ready to switch to my desktop environment.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is going to use Plymouth, and provide the open-source Nouveau driver by default. Users will have a choice between using Nouveau, getting a nice glitch-free boot experience but not (yet) getting a composited desktop, or using nvidia-glx, getting a nice composited desktop, but having a boot experience that's full of glitches and that falls back to text mode if something unexpected happens.

This is disappointing. nVidia should try hard to support Plymouth before Nouveau supports Compiz and GnomeShell - otherwise a lot of users might switch to Nouveau (or rather, stay with Nouveau and never use the official driver at all).
MartinE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 10:40 AM   #14
klunden

Post Re: Feature Request: KMS support

A good blog post about the issue, how it works, and why: http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/a...-mode-setting/
klunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-10, 07:17 PM   #15
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinE View Post
This is disappointing. nVidia should try hard to support Plymouth before Nouveau supports Compiz and GnomeShell - otherwise a lot of users might switch to Nouveau (or rather, stay with Nouveau and never use the official driver at all).
Users that don't care about and performance would have switched to a free solution long ago. People by nvidia cards for linux for their stability of their blobs that offer equivalent performance to other OS's. Free drivers coming even remotely close the performance of a blob is nothing but a pipe dream as they are very limited as to what technologies they can utilize legally. A general all-in-one solution like relying on mesa will never match the performance of a optimized driver. Sure it would be nice to have the smooth transition boot but given that the flicker occurs once during a session it's not worth sacrificing the features and performance of the blob when doing actual work.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 06:25 AM   #16
Lysius

I hope that at least the fbdev driver is in the pipeline. I want a decent resolution on my text consoles.
Lysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 10:49 AM   #17
packermann

Sorry, but I don't get the point about big resolution on text console and graphical boot... this is already possible... for a graphical boot-screen I'm using usplash, my console is 1680x1050, as normal fb-support is in kernel. Maybe it's not the fastest, but it works for my needs. The flickering... ok, granted. I see it twice during my 10 seconds boot-time. Switching from X to the console? OK, lasts about 3 seconds, but it's ok for me.
Of course full KMS-support would be nice but for me stability of the driver along with speed is much more important.
my 2cent
packermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-10, 11:11 AM   #18
Lysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by packermann View Post
Maybe it's not the fastest
It's horribly slow. And on my notebook the native resolution of my display is not supported.
Lysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-10, 05:04 AM   #19
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunden View Post
A good blog post about the issue, how it works, and why: http://www.netsplit.com/2010/03/30/a...-mode-setting/
I've always found Plymouth works perfectly with Fedora with the NVIDIA binary driver(using vga=795). In the latest Ubuntu, you just get a flashing cursor.

Not that this is anything to do with KMS but just because it doesn't work in Ubuntu, doesn't mean it doesn't work in Fedora. I get a nice animated, full colour boot screen with Fedora 12/13.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 02:59 AM   #20
Xake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
I've always found Plymouth works perfectly with Fedora with the NVIDIA binary driver(using vga=795). In the latest Ubuntu, you just get a flashing cursor.

Not that this is anything to do with KMS but just because it doesn't work in Ubuntu, doesn't mean it doesn't work in Fedora. I get a nice animated, full colour boot screen with Fedora 12/13.
Stop fudding Ubuntu, this is just plain luck from your side and has nothing to do with what resolution you use but what hardware.

Using vga=### means that you rely on vesabf.This means that for a resolution to work your graphic-card has to have in its vesa bios that it support that resolution.
I have a club3d nvidia gtx285 and and monitor using 1680x1050. The problem is that my card has only 4:3 resolutions in its vesa bios, and thus I cannot with either vesafb or uvesafb have a "perfect" picture during boot, or text console when I need to use that. Using nouveau however I can since it does not rely on the vesa bios but the EDID of the monitor.

I would actually like to see nvidia implement a fb in their kernel module. That and xrandr-support is high on my wish-list.
Xake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-10, 09:09 AM   #21
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xake View Post
Stop fudding Ubuntu, this is just plain luck from your side and has nothing to do with what resolution you use but what hardware.

Using vga=### means that you rely on vesabf.This means that for a resolution to work your graphic-card has to have in its vesa bios that it support that resolution.
I have a club3d nvidia gtx285 and and monitor using 1680x1050. The problem is that my card has only 4:3 resolutions in its vesa bios, and thus I cannot with either vesafb or uvesafb have a "perfect" picture during boot, or text console when I need to use that. Using nouveau however I can since it does not rely on the vesa bios but the EDID of the monitor.

I would actually like to see nvidia implement a fb in their kernel module. That and xrandr-support is high on my wish-list.

Using VESA is better than nothing at all and VESA is supported by all cards and should work, but as I said, it just doesn't work for me in Ubuntu. Note that I didn't say it's Canonicals' fault, you're the one that seems to be making that suggestion. All VESA modes work for me with Fedora and Plymouth so if that's luck, then good for me.
Old 05-24-10, 10:32 AM   #22
gradinaruvasile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasu View Post
Indeed. But you have to admit, given any OS, theres a Right way, and a Wrong way to do things.

And on OUR OS, hardware access does NOT belong in userspace. Period. Userspace apps like the X server should NOT run as root. period.

What people actually want is for the graphics card to work as advertised with their OS. Which means performance, little or no bugs, and things like sleep and hibernate must work all the time.

Smooth transitioning and graphical OOPS reporting are gravy, but very very very nice gravy, and its something people are going to not only want, but expect. And given the amount of time its taken nvidia to support XRandR 1.2 (1.3 is out now, did you know? 3 years is a long time to waffle on an important feature).

While I'm very glad nvidia is picking up speed on driver releases, historically nvidia has shown that its not very interested in supporting linux very well. Glaring bugs stick around for months or years, important features lay unimplemented for far longer. And even with the new found support, all that seems to being worked on is GL3 and VDPAU. Bugs and desktop enhancement features seem to lag behind for ages.

I've been very disappointed with my 8800. And unless something changes, I probably can't be convinced to buy another nvidia graphics card. I Just don't think nvidia appreciates the business.
I dont know what distribution you use, but i used Ubuntu and Debian for 3 years now and i use exclusively nvidia cards.
And its the ONLY PERFECTLY STABLE driver/hardware i ever seen for these distros (i suspect this goes for linux in general). I tried Intel/Ati with OSS and Ati's Proprietary drivers - anyway, they dont even come close as far as stability goes.
Mind you, i use both my desktop and laptop (nvidia 210/nvidia 135M) at work (this means that they are supposed to work without issues) with Debian Squeeze now and they work perfectly. X server NEVER crashed because of the graphic drivers. I suspend my laptop all the time, i only reboot it if i install kernel updates or so - it works perfectly.
At home i have a nvidia 8200 (Asus M3N78-VM mobo) - this too works perfectly well, plays 1080p movies like no tomorrow - i do suspend this computer too and works perfectly well.
I installed Ubuntu on computers with Intel integrated chipsets and they just crashed at the very sign of OpenGL. The same goes for Ati's OSS drivers with X1600/x1300 cards. X is just shaky and crashy with these cards/drivers. Also the cards are not used at their full potential.

Conclusion - currently the nvidia cards have the best driver support for Debian-based Linux (probably Linux, but i dont go into that). This is not theory, right or wrong way, this is reality. Their drivers works - yes, they have a glitch at boot (i dont even use boot splash image so i dont care) but after that they just work.
Maybe some OSS fanatics will use Ati/Intel cards just because they use KMS or whatever, but i can tell you that users who just want a REALLY stable Linux-based system that really uses the video cards capabilities will choose nvidia. BECAUSE IT WORKS.
Saying that they dont support Linux is somewhat ungrateful - they choose to invest in and support a OS that is used on around 1% (probably more, but noone knows exactly) of the computer market - and making the most stable driver available for it in the process.

This being said i too would like to see the OSS drivers come to age, but sadly it wont happen anytime soon as it seems.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-10, 10:50 AM   #23
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
Saying that they dont support Linux is somewhat ungrateful - they choose to invest in and support a OS that is used on around 1% (probably more, but noone knows exactly) of the computer market - and making the most stable driver available for it in the process.

This being said i too would like to see the OSS drivers come to age, but sadly it wont happen anytime soon as it seems.
It has already been said that NVIDIA get a lot of business from workstations with Linux which do CG. NVIDIA get about 15% of their business from it as was said. I also think that because their code is shared across platforms, it makes it easier to support such OS's as they do. NVIDIA don't support Linux/BSD and Solaris because of their goodwill, I'm pretty sure of that because they're a business with costs.
Old 05-24-10, 11:14 AM   #24
gradinaruvasile

But this still means that they DO support Linux, doesnt it?
Maybe i was wrong about the numbers and the motives, but the fact is still that they make the best drivers around.
And i personally dont care if we are test subjects for them until they deliver the same level of stability of their drivers.
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote