Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-10, 07:13 AM   #25
onny

Default Re: Feature Request: KMS support

So we could not expect KMS support very soon?
onny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 07:25 PM   #26
taccoboss

ok, probably Nvidia will not support kms because there are not enough users that require implementation. I will try to invite people who populate the site "OMG!Ubuntu ", asking them to participate in large numbers to this conversation. We are almost 6000. I hope to succeed.
taccoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-10, 08:58 PM   #27
inkubux

KMS is a must for linux to be able to match other os. If Ati did it I don't see why Nvidia can't.
inkubux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 12:49 AM   #28
montini

Now this is ridiculous: how can there NOT be a reason to implement it when all ubuntu users need the KMS for fluent system boot and operation :////// Geez I was thinking of buying some netbook with Ion platform - and now I hear this..... (
montini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 04:47 AM   #29
gradinaruvasile

Quote:
Originally Posted by montini View Post
Now this is ridiculous: how can there NOT be a reason to implement it when all ubuntu users need the KMS for fluent system boot and operation :////// Geez I was thinking of buying some netbook with Ion platform - and now I hear this..... (
Fluent system boot... What about fluent working system that does not require reboots?
And if you change ttys you encounter peoblems so waiting 1-2 sec more doesnt really make the world turn upside down... The tty text resolution can be changed btw without kms.

I personally prefer a driver that works 100% stable during my session, and dont care 10-20 seconds more boot up time that doesnt happen often.

Ubuntu doesnt need kms, it works without it just fine as the other distros do aswell.
Users that want Ubuntu be like Windows want it to boot like Windows. Jeez. What about what happens after boot? That is the stuff that really matters to me.

PS. Have you seen how the KMS drivers work after boot? I did and it aint nice (read: excepting the smooth booth sequence and fast vt switching they dont know much else to do with the 3d cards - dont get me started on "they are working on it"). When they will have the nvidia drivers stability and level of feature support, we can talk about fluent boot and whatnot.
The Nvidia driver (that shares most of the code between platforms) implements many things its own way (that works well BTW) so it wont be rewritten "because Ubuntu users need KMS to have fluent boot sequences".
Use nouveau and bitch on their forums to make a driver that equals nvidia - you know well it aint gona happen anytime soon (or later if you ask me).
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 05:23 AM   #30
taccoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
Fluent system boot... What about fluent working system that does not require reboots?
And if you change ttys you encounter peoblems so waiting 1-2 sec more doesnt really make the world turn upside down... The tty text resolution can be changed btw without kms.

I personally prefer a driver that works 100% stable during my session, and dont care 10-20 seconds more boot up time that doesnt happen often.

Ubuntu doesnt need kms, it works without it just fine as the other distros do aswell.
Users that want Ubuntu be like Windows want it to boot like Windows. Jeez. What about what happens after boot? That is the stuff that really matters to me.

PS. Have you seen how the KMS drivers work after boot? I did and it aint nice (read: excepting the smooth booth sequence and fast vt switching they dont know much else to do with the 3d cards - dont get me started on "they are working on it"). When they will have the nvidia drivers stability and level of feature support, we can talk about fluent boot and whatnot.
The Nvidia driver (that shares most of the code between platforms) implements many things its own way (that works well BTW) so it wont be rewritten "because Ubuntu users need KMS to have fluent boot sequences".
Use nouveau and bitch on their forums to make a driver that equals nvidia - you know well it aint gona happen anytime soon (or later if you ask me).
I do not think that Nvidia should rewrite a driver to fully implement a function and I do not think the Nouveau drivers can prove to be a valuable alternative for many many years. I own a Nvidia Quadro FX 4600, and I think that the latest driver (256.44) is more than good. But I expect that Nvidia is committed not only to follow the development of Xorg, but also the evolution of OS. Nvidia is doing well with Android, Nvidia should do well with Ubuntu and Linux.

Last edited by taccoboss; 08-27-10 at 05:26 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 08-27-10, 05:37 AM   #31
Lysius

Quote:
The tty text resolution can be changed btw without kms.
Is there any way except vesafb (or uvesafb)? I tried vesafb and gave up because It was slow like hell.
I do not care much about using the terminals, but having more time to read the boot messages (because they do not scroll off screen that fast) would be really nice.

But I would not expect anything from nvidia in this area any more, they seem to have developed a "we hate everything except xorg"-attitude. They do not care if using an X-server instead of a text terminal for any task is sensible (or even possible) or not.
Lysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 05:40 AM   #32
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by montini View Post
You are exaggerating waaaaaaaay too much here. Even without a shiny boot splash in your native resolution, your machine will start and operate fluently. Is how the display looks when you boot important, or how the machine works when you're in the system? Clearly the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysius
I do not care much about using the terminals, but having more time to read the boot messages (because they do not scroll off screen that fast) would be really nice.
Even with a higher resolution, the text scrolls by way too fast to read it. If you're interested in that content, use dmesg.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-10, 05:41 AM   #33
adamk75

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkubux View Post
KMS is a must for linux to be able to match other os. If Ati did it I don't see why Nvidia can't.
ATI only did it by releasing specifications for open source drivers and funding development of those drivers. They do not support KMS with their proprietary drivers, just as nvidia doesn't.

Adam
adamk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 05:44 AM   #34
wantilles

Quote:
Originally Posted by taccoboss View Post
ok, probably Nvidia will not support kms because there are not enough users that require implementation. I will try to invite people who populate the site "OMG!Ubuntu ", asking them to participate in large numbers to this conversation. We are almost 6000. I hope to succeed.
Thank God that the computer-illiterate Ubuntu users, do not control the future of GNU/Linux.
wantilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-10, 06:16 AM   #35
taccoboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantilles View Post
Thank God that the computer-illiterate Ubuntu users, do not control the future of GNU/Linux.

This should not be a clash between factions, rather a way to unite. If we do not understand this the battle is already lost in the beginning.
Old 08-29-10, 02:01 AM   #36
rik70

Quote:

Conclusion - currently the nvidia cards have the best driver support for Debian-based Linux (probably Linux, but i dont go into that). This is not theory, right or wrong way, this is reality.
Currently??

OK man: try a GeForce2-TI on Debian Squeeze, Ubuntu 10.04 or Slackware 13.x.
If it works, please call me!
rik70 is offline   Reply With Quote