Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-10, 06:06 AM   #37
Licaon

Default Re: Feature Request: KMS support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik70 View Post
OK man: try a GeForce2-TI on Debian Squeeze, Ubuntu 10.04 or Slackware 13.x.
you're unfair
that's fazed out hardware from back in 2001, you should use Nouveau just as ATI Radeon 8500 users should use the OSS Radeon drivers
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 07:23 AM   #38
gradinaruvasile

Quote:
Currently??

OK man: try a GeForce2-TI on Debian Squeeze, Ubuntu 10.04 or Slackware 13.x.
If it works, please call me!
It worked for me on every single nvidia card i used it - MX-440, NVS 285, NVS 135M/140M, 7600GS, 8200 IGP, GF 210 (Ubuntu 7.10-9.10, Debian Squeeze). I always used the nvidia-provided drivers from the site and did not mess around with xorg.conf after setting it up with nvidia-xconfig.
Your card should work with the 96 series drivers (legacy).
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 07:40 AM   #39
rik70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
Your card should work with the 96 series drivers (legacy).

Nope, my card works only with the 71 series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon

you should use Nouveau
Nouveau drivers?

Are you kidding?
rik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 07:58 AM   #40
gradinaruvasile

Quote:
Nope, my card works only with the 71 series
Oh my bad, i think i selected Geforce 4 ti...
You say it works - what is the problem with it?
gradinaruvasile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 08:25 AM   #41
rik70

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradinaruvasile View Post
You say it works - what is the problem with it?
It is that Xorg support was dropped
rik70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-10, 04:23 AM   #42
VLJ

I can live without kms (at least at the moment, maybe the future Wayland server may change that, but it is very unlinkely to be released soon).

However the lack of XrandR 1.2 support is far more annoying : I own a laptop with an nvidia gt240m, and sometimes need to do some presentation with it. I like to extend my monitor on the projector.
In such situation, Twinview is not that great : dedicated application like krandr for instance does not work (in Meego it even crashes) ; very often nvidia-settings does not handle the "leftOf" and "rightOf" attribute correctly (I must reboot Xorg to be sure that it works as I want, which is not very nice). And the worst point is that telling the system that there is only a "giant" X screen sometimes mess up with openoffice.org impress : the presentation cannot always be set on the right screen, the "presentator view" displaying notes, clock,... well, sometimes does not even appear.

This is a very common request for nvidia drivers and it's strange that they support XrandR 1.1 but not 1.2.
VLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10, 06:13 PM   #43
Alejandro Nova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
you're unfair
that's fazed out hardware from back in 2001, you should use Nouveau just as ATI Radeon 8500 users should use the OSS Radeon drivers
To be fair, try that card in Windows Vista or in Windows 7 and you'll end with craptacular MS drivers driving VGA and a little more. Congratulations, NVIDIA, for giving Linux users the same standard of support Windows users enjoy.
Alejandro Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-10, 12:07 AM   #44
XjCook

For everybody who want's something similar to KMS: you can use UvesaFB
You will have working switch to console (by CTRL+ALT+F{1,6}), small disadvantage is you can't use native resolution, only which is support by your VBIOS (you can detect with sudo hwinfo --framebuffer).

Unfortunately package v86d (which you need to properly work uvesafb) is not in Fedora/OpenSUSE.
XjCook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-10, 05:31 AM   #45
Chalnoth

Just thought I'd add my two cents and say I'd really like to see KMS support in the nVidia drivers.

My primary reasoning is sleep/suspend: waking up from sleep mode with KMS is almost instantaneous (4 seconds from pressing power to seeing the display), while without it takes significantly longer (17 seconds). Obviously 17 seconds isn't a terribly long time, but it's the difference between being able to use my computer almost instantly and having to wait.

Of course, I could just use the nouveau driver, but the 3D support isn't even good enough for Compiz to work well, so that's out.

From the discussions previously in this thread, it sounds like KMS could be implemented in the proprietary nVidia driver if nVidia produced an open-source fbdev kernel module which can interface with the nVidia driver. The difficulty is that just linking into an fbdev kernel module violates the GPL, so open source developers are unlikely to smile upon nVidia doing this. But given that nVidia is already violating the GPL with its proprietary driver, I fail to see how adding an fbdev kernel module would be any additional violation.
Old 11-22-10, 11:43 AM   #46
artem

4 seconds, 17 seconds ... what kind of hardware do you have? My home PC goes to sleep and wakes up almost instantly (in less than 3 seconds) both with or without NVIDIA GPU in it.

Anyway, I don't see much sense in NVIDIA implementing KMS support. You cannot embed NVIDIA.ko into the kernel and that's absolutely inconvenient.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 04:34 AM   #47
artem

Aaron, any updates on this topic?

I still want my text output in virtual text terminals to be accelerated since VESA fb works painfully slow.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 04:17 PM   #48
Gusar

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
Aaron, any updates on this topic?

I still want my text output in virtual text terminals to be accelerated since VESA fb works painfully slow.
I can't imagine why high-end workstations would need it, so I don't see what incentive Nvidia would have to work on this.

As for vesafb, did you configure it properly?
Code:
video=vesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap vga=865
Adjust vga= for your resolution of course, the example is for 1280x800. This is possibly not as fast as an accelerated fb would be, but it's nevertheless tons faster than the default.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote