Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-31-03, 03:15 PM   #1
Ghola

Default Hmm... Remember a little co. called Enron

It's crazy, eh? With all of the negative press NVIDIA has been receiving from hardware web sites, and our forums in particular, their worth continues to increase.
Back in February, NVIDIA common stock was trading at $10 a share and today topped out at $26. Today's rally can be attributed to an upgrade issued by UBS Warburg and news from Sony.

Sony's new products, which combine a slew of multimedia capabilities, signal a potentially broadening of the market for graphics chips such as those sold by Nvidia.

Ghola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 04:06 PM   #2
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Hm, while i am sure that you think haveing a slight lead in video cards for 6 months, that suddently ATi will be maeking such a huge profit, but actually nothing has changed, Nvidia still makes the big bucks, while ATi's owners gets charged with Anti-Trust laws.
Old 05-31-03, 04:30 PM   #3
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by GlowStick
Hm, while i am sure that you think haveing a slight lead in video cards for 6 months, that suddently ATi will be maeking such a huge profit, but actually nothing has changed, Nvidia still makes the big bucks, while ATi's owners gets charged with Anti-Trust laws.
nvidia has also violated the laws of trading... ie insider trading...

SEC investigation of nvidia was carried out with nvidia agreeing to settle...

also the slight lead you refer to is gf4 ti 4600 - radeon 9700pro... slight lead ?

it will take a little while before ati start making more headway into market shares it would appear.. on a significant level...

as is.. they are doing good business...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 05:44 PM   #4
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

I see this new chipset deal with Intel to be ATI's U turn to profitability. It's only so long that nVidia can keep their shareholder's happy with future plans/techie jargon.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 06:00 PM   #5
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by nVidi0t
I see this new chipset deal with Intel to be ATI's U turn to profitability. It's only so long that nVidia can keep their shareholder's happy with future plans/techie jargon.
That's my thinking pretty much exactly. nVidia is playing a very dangerous game right now by relying on their past reputation trying to fluff themselves up a bit, and I have a feeling it's just a house of cards they're building that is precarious as hell and will collapse in on 'em as soon as someone REALLY takes a look at what they're doing right now.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 06:07 PM   #6
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
That's my thinking pretty much exactly. nVidia is playing a very dangerous game right now by relying on their past reputation trying to fluff themselves up a bit, and I have a feeling it's just a house of cards they're building that is precarious as hell and will collapse in on 'em as soon as someone REALLY takes a look at what they're doing right now.
Well, the only time I actually see shareholders losing faith in nVidia is when their sales drop, which currently is not happening, and will not happen unless ATI continue to release products like the 9700 Pro, they need a consistant performance lead for a sufficient time for manufacturers of boards and computer systems to realize that ATI offerings are clearly the faster choice.

And trust me, nVidia wont be able to put manufacturers in their pockets when the manufacturer can choose a clearly faster product which will yield more sales.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 07:47 PM   #7
indio

The best way to describe the rally is that we're reflating the bubble," said Richard Bernstein, Merrill Lynch's chief U.S. strategist.

"Valuations of the tech sector are pricing in more than an economic recovery, they're pricing in a boom," Bernstein said, adding he has been advising clients to sell tech
http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/030529/stock...k_bulls_1.html
indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 07:55 PM   #8
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by nVidi0t
Well, the only time I actually see shareholders losing faith in nVidia is when their sales drop, which currently is not happening, and will not happen unless ATI continue to release products like the 9700 Pro, they need a consistant performance lead for a sufficient time for manufacturers of boards and computer systems to realize that ATI offerings are clearly the faster choice.

And trust me, nVidia wont be able to put manufacturers in their pockets when the manufacturer can choose a clearly faster product which will yield more sales.
I can't argue with anything your saying, I just feel that if nVidia keeps with it's current tactics that they ARE going to see their sales drop beyond their ability to hide it in their books, then the stockholders will see & re-act, THEN the mighty nV beast shall finally have it's day of reckoning.

I just wish it would hurry up and happen, but I have a feeling it won't be until their next earnings call in a couple of 3 months.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]

Old 05-31-03, 08:52 PM   #9
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalwanderer
I can't argue with anything your saying, I just feel that if nVidia keeps with it's current tactics that they ARE going to see their sales drop beyond their ability to hide it in their books, then the stockholders will see & re-act, THEN the mighty nV beast shall finally have it's day of reckoning.

I just wish it would hurry up and happen, but I have a feeling it won't be until their next earnings call in a couple of 3 months.
In a perfect ATi world that would happen. But Nvidia's market share is still growing faster than ATi's, then Intels share grew about the same as ati's.............. *cough*

But i also think that this 'home multimedia' crap market is gonna open up soon. Eg set top boxes that do stuff like the ps2 (psx). And Tivo's etc.

Truthfully i do think Nvidia and ATi will have a hard time convicing eg. Tivo to buy their Expensive chip, compared to the cheep ones they have been useing that got the job done.... to an extent.

Meanwhile, i could forsee this in the future

ATi "Yeah, our chips can be used in a varity of devices, we support all OS's"

Some Company "Great, what ones?"

ATi "Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows98SE, Microsoft Windows ME, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP! Im sure your set top box uses one of them right?"

Some Company "*Cough*Cough*"
Old 05-31-03, 09:01 PM   #10
digitalwanderer

Quote:
ATi "Yeah, our chips can be used in a varity of devices, we support all OS's"

ATi "Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows98SE, Microsoft Windows ME, Microsoft Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows XP! Im sure your set top box uses one of them right?"

You didn't happen to read that interview with Terry Makedon yesterday at DH where he happened to mention that ATi is going to start releasing and supporting linux drivers starting sometime in June, did ya?

You might just want to add linux to that OS list, although it's probably gonna take 'em about a month. Nice thing about ATi lately though...when they say a month, they mean it and deliver.

EDITED BITS: I'm not a real big linuxhead yet, so I didn't really understand why it was so important to support it. Thanks for pointing out the advantages of supporting it, that explains their big push on it to me in conjucture with their strategic movements in that market.
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
Old 05-31-03, 09:03 PM   #11
c4c

Quote:

You forgot whatever they call the MacOS now..Maybe linux too? Dunno..

BTW that problem is nothing a little money thrown at driver development wouldn't fix.

EDIT:I see linux has already been addressed..Perhaps its time for a typing class
c4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-03, 10:08 PM   #12
GlowStick
CoD4!

Quote:
Originally posted by c4c
You forgot whatever they call the MacOS now..Maybe linux too? Dunno..

BTW that problem is nothing a little money thrown at driver development wouldn't fix.

EDIT:I see linux has already been addressed..Perhaps its time for a typing class
No one uses MacOS

j/k sorry i took a pot shot at all the mac users

and on the linux front, they have a long ways to go, i doubt their first release is gonna be 'perfect' brings the term plug and pray to my mind... but more of complie and pray....

But this isnt the first time ATi has tried to bring Linux drivers to the Radeon, back in the day they actually hired some freelance guys to do it, and they realized that by the time they got the drivers working for Radeon 35mb DDR, they had their next product out the door for like 3 months........