Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-04-10, 01:40 AM   #349
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Cryostasis Full Version Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC View Post
I'm having trouble getting hardware physx to work correctly. I don't know if anyone has any tips. The Cryostasis techdemo worked fine. I could see my physx gpu was being utilized. But in the full game it's not being used at all and the framerate is bad. And apparently the copy is already patched, so it should work (got it free through EVGA/digital river download).
You sure it's patched? There was a digital river version patch, so that means it is not by default, or at least was not at one time.

I forgot about this game, I should see how it runs now on my new 480.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 02:02 AM   #350
JasonPC

Yeah I'm sure it's patched because I have an ATI card and there was graphical corruption with SM 4.0 before the patch (was present in the techdemo even). I played with some files from the techdemo and moved them to the full game and managed to get my physx card to start working! Framerate still pretty much sucks though but at least it's being caused by the graphics rather than the physx now.

I am finding that the physx in this game actually isn't very intense compared to Batman Arkham Asylum. I seldomly see my physx gpu go over 30% usage whereas Batman Arkham Asylum had it going over 50%.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 02:35 AM   #351
CaptNKILL
CUBE

I just finished this two nights ago. I was waiting for a graphics card upgrade to play it, and I'm glad it did. The graphics and Physx effects were quite impressive throughout the entire game running on my overclocked GTX 470 with a Low-Profile GTS 250 doing the Physx.

I couldn't max everything out because the game is ridiculously GPU heavy, and this is just one of those game engines that doesn't feel too good at under 40fps. But it still looked fantastic most of the time. Remember to turn off anisotropic filtering for a MASSIVE performance boost. This is the only game in the past 7 years I've played without AF, but it isn't all that noticeable due to the enclosed levels.

So on a technical level the game is one of the best looking titles I've seen. The frosty effects, the water effects, the shaders, the water, the lighting... its really amazing how well they visually distinguished a bone-chilling frozen room from one that is being warmed by a large electric motor. The artwork is generally quite good as well, though the models could have use more polygons. I wish the graphics engine was more efficient though. There's no reason that this game should run far worse than Crysis when there is so little going on.

The sound effects were amazing, and I'm so glad that I played this with an OpenAL sound card. The use of environmental effects was very noticeable and just made the effects seem even more realistic.

The gameplay, honestly isn't really the kind that I rate too highly, so its no surprise that it didn't wow me here. Its a pretty straight forward slow-paced "horror" shooter, and I generally prefer games with more exploration, puzzle solving or RPG elements. There isn't really any strategy or tactics involved in the combat, and the non-combat scenes usually just require the player to hit a button, turn a valve or run to a certain point without getting killed. The way these things are implemented is fairly unique, but it still comes down to just walking, hitting buttons and shooting. Also, the enemy AI basically just consists of appearing out of thin air (sometimes walking through a doorway) and either shooting or mauling you. So, to me, the game play itself is the weak point of the game, but its acceptable for what it is, and it does a decent job of carrying you through the "experience" of the game.

The atmosphere is really amazing, and its awesome to let yourself get sucked into it. The graphics, physx effects, animation and sound effects really do an amazing job of making the game world seem physical and realistic. And lots of small touches, like the scream of an enemy as it enters the room or the shadows cast from the light inside an enemy's mask, really give the game a unique feel. On top of that, the weapons and objects in the scenery are all refreshingly based on reality. This isn't that big of a deal, but they get a thumbs up from me for using authentic weapons that load and shoot just like the real thing.

The story is pretty interesting and also quite unique. As is the way that it's told. The English translation and voice acting are both much better than I'd expect from a small Russian developer.

Stability wise, I didn't have too many problems with the game. I got stuck in a wall once, and my dedicated Physx card was giving me fits at times, which caused some errors as well as poor performance (the physx card was stuck at 2D clocks, even under load). But I didn't have any problems after updating the driver and setting the "power management mode" in the nvidia control panel to "prefer maximum performance".

All in all, its a decent game. Its hard for me to praise it TOO much because the game play just isn't the kind that I've ever been too thrilled about, but the atmosphere and the story are both just SO worth experiencing that its difficult not to recommend it. If you have a high end PC and can appreciate the atmosphere in games like STALKER or Bioshock, I recommend playing it solely for that. If you also like straight forward shooter game play with some basic puzzles thrown in, this comes highly recommended.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 02:38 AM   #352
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

good review. i liked the straight forward gameplay, and the graphics are pretty mindblowing. The whole experience, wrapped up, is VERY special.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 03:13 AM   #353
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Weird for AF to cause a massive performance loss...
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-10, 04:18 AM   #354
HiCZoK4

yep thats indeed weird. Most games almost does not react for afx16
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 10:38 PM   #355
Destroy

So what vid card is needed to run this game decently, >30fps at 19x10 4xAA, full physics, max gfx settings?

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 10:49 PM   #356
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
So what vid card is needed to run this game decently, >30fps at 19x10 4xAA, full physics, max gfx settings?
jeez i don't even know. you'd definitely need a dedicated physx card i think...such a beautiful game though. i was thinking about replaying it, but i got an ATi now, and the broken ice/flowing water physx effects are SICK.

Old 12-07-10, 11:11 PM   #357
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
jeez i don't even know. you'd definitely need a dedicated physx card i think...such a beautiful game though. i was thinking about replaying it, but i got an ATi now, and the broken ice/flowing water physx effects are SICK.
So you don't thinks a lone GTX580 could push those setting?! Yikes, this game is a hog.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-10, 11:43 PM   #358
bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
So you don't thinks a lone GTX580 could push those setting?! Yikes, this game is a hog.
i am actually not sure. the last card i tried it with was a GTX275, and the game brought it to its knees. its not a super fast game though, so bad fps doesn't have THAT much of an effect on gameplay. I'd love to try it with a 480 or 580. ...
Old 12-08-10, 09:00 AM   #359
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
i am actually not sure. the last card i tried it with was a GTX275, and the game brought it to its knees. its not a super fast game though, so bad fps doesn't have THAT much of an effect on gameplay. I'd love to try it with a 480 or 580. ...
My 480 handles it pretty well. A dedicated physx card would be a huge plus with this title though. Also keeping AF at x8 or below helped a lot. Not too much use for it anyway as you're in such tight quarters all the time.

The 580 would handle this for the most part just fine though. It's also one of those games that doesn't require 45+ fps to play smoothly.
Old 12-08-10, 11:18 AM   #360
musman
I Derail Threads

I have a GTX-285 and a GT-240 as a Physx card and can't max it out. Still have not finished playing this game yet.
Antec Nine Hundred case. Core I-7 920 @ 3.56GHz, Noctua NH-U12P Cooler, EVGA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX-285 1GB, EVGA GT-240 Superclocked 512Mb used as a Physx card, DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6, OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600 7-7-7-18, Intel X25-V SSD, used as a boot drive, 2X Seagate 500Gig 32MB Cache 7200RPM in RAID 0, Logitec G-15 keyboard, Logitech MX-518 Mouse, CH Combatstick 568, Xboc Controller, LG L227WTG-PF 22" LCD Monitor 1680x1050. Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit. Speakers: KRK Rokit8 studio monitors.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/media/customer.jpg
musman is offline   Reply With Quote