Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-02-09, 06:13 PM   #1
thefirstm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 226
Default Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

I don't understand why everyone always seems to talk bad about the NVIDIA Linux driver and the developers who make it. They complain loudly about bugs, saying things like "If the past is any indication, it will be ~6months before [insert your favorite bug here] will be fixed."

Before complaining about the NVIDIA driver so much, they should try using some other card. NVIDIA is the only graphics card manufacturer which has a high-performing 3D and 2D driver for Linux (whether open- or closed-source) which supports hardware-accelerated video decoding and suspend/resume. The XOrg Intel driver has suspend and resume support, but its 3D performance is poor (simply because of the chipset) and it does not support video decoding for H264 and VC1. The XOrg ATI driver also supports suspend and resume, and has good 2D performance, but it only supports OpenGL 1.4 and its 3D performance on newer cards can be quite bad. It, too, has no support for hardware video decode acceleration. The ATI fglrx driver has mediocre 2D and 3D performance, and also has no video decode acceleration and no/poor support for power management operations. As far as the open- vs. closed-source debate, I would be willing to bet that the people who actually to the work of developing the drivers, like AaronP and Stephen Warren, would release the NVIDIA driver under the GPL if they could do so. The reason that the NVIDIA driver is closed source is probably because of some underhanded IP deal with Microsoft that keeps them from releasing information about the hardware.

So to sum it up, before you trash the NVIDIA Linux drivers and developers, you should look at where the NVIDIA drivers are in comparison to all the other drivers.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 06:40 PM   #2
clarious
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 39
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
I don't understand why everyone always seems to talk bad about the NVIDIA Linux driver and the developers who make it. They complain loudly about bugs, saying things like "If the past is any indication, it will be ~6months before [insert your favorite bug here] will be fixed."

Before complaining about the NVIDIA driver so much, they should try using some other card. NVIDIA is the only graphics card manufacturer which has a high-performing 3D and 2D driver for Linux (whether open- or closed-source) which supports hardware-accelerated video decoding and suspend/resume. The XOrg Intel driver has suspend and resume support, but its 3D performance is poor (simply because of the chipset) and it does not support video decoding for H264 and VC1. The XOrg ATI driver also supports suspend and resume, and has good 2D performance, but it only supports OpenGL 1.4 and its 3D performance on newer cards can be quite bad. It, too, has no support for hardware video decode acceleration. The ATI fglrx driver has mediocre 2D and 3D performance, and also has no video decode acceleration and no/poor support for power management operations. As far as the open- vs. closed-source debate, I would be willing to bet that the people who actually to the work of developing the drivers, like AaronP and Stephen Warren, would release the NVIDIA driver under the GPL if they could do so. The reason that the NVIDIA driver is closed source is probably because of some underhanded IP deal with Microsoft that keeps them from releasing information about the hardware.

So to sum it up, before you trash the NVIDIA Linux drivers and developers, you should look at where the NVIDIA drivers are in comparison to all the other drivers.
Most people will only post if they have any problem with the driver, they won't if it run fine. That explain the content of most of the posts here. It is easy to understand.

And having used 3 nvidia cards and 1 ATI/AMD card, I have to admit that nvidia driver are superior to ATI/AMD one. It works great (though not perfect), I would like to say thank to the developement team!

EDIT: And it is also easier to complain than knowing how to use google or the search function, or even read the sticky posts. (by that I don't mean every complaining posts is bad)
clarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 08:41 PM   #3
devsk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 46
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

The thing is that we end up comparing linux driver with the windows driver. Do I ever see graphics corruption on windows: NO. Do I see botched crawling scrolling in firefox or notepad: NO. Do I see hang while logging out of windows because of stuck nvidia driver: NO. Do I see processes eating 50% CPU because they want to show an animated busy cursor: NO.

So, yeah. Nvidia devs have done a bad job with linux driver. Its better than ATI doesn't mean anything. Lets stop comparing stuff with the lowest denominator. Once the driver works without issues, I will say job well done!!
devsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 08:49 PM   #4
quadtree
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
So to sum it up, before you trash the NVIDIA Linux drivers and developers, you should look at where the NVIDIA drivers are in comparison to all the other drivers.
Every internet forum, newsgroup, and mailing list in existence is packed to the gills with unsatisfied whiners. I'd suggest just trying to ignore them, because they're not going anywhere.
quadtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 09:03 PM   #5
devsk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 46
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadtree View Post
Every internet forum, newsgroup, and mailing list in existence is packed to the gills with unsatisfied whiners. I'd suggest just trying to ignore them, because they're not going anywhere.
You are saying that they registered with an email id and logged in just to whine? they don't really have a real issue? I wish you hit a snag so hard that nobody is able to help you. Then, I will see you whine like one of those "unsatisfied whiners"....
devsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 10:24 PM   #6
kantlivelong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 48
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

We like the nvidia devs, we just wish nvidia as a company would open the driver :P

Since we have no way to make patches to bugs, all we can do is complain/inform really....
kantlivelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-09, 10:31 PM   #7
nullack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 74
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

If it was open source, they'd accept a driver with less features and less robustness, and be far more tolerant of delays in fixes.

They have different expectations with closed soource from a large company like NVIDIA.
nullack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 12:51 AM   #8
g.krist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 20
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Why should I stop complaining? I bought Nvidia hardware I expect decent drivers, this fiasco with 180.35 was never happened on Windows!
g.krist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-09, 12:54 AM   #9
spion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 44
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.krist View Post
Why should I stop complaining? I bought Nvidia hardware I expect decent drivers, this fiasco with 180.35 was never happened on Windows!
how about you use windows then? you dummy.
spion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:01 AM   #10
voltaicsca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

I don't think that any reasonable person out there thinks that the poor quality of nvidia's drivers is the devs' fault. nvidia's devs clearly have the ability to make a good driver (in windows), and there is nothing but money and corporate will to support Linux in the way of us getting a good driver as well.

I would imagine that all of the devs would much rather have a larger team and a bigger budget so they could get a better driver out there.
voltaicsca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:02 AM   #11
devsk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 46
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spion View Post
how about you use windows then? you dummy.
do you mean nvidia is selling these cards for free to linux users? We all paid for these things. I paid 150$ for my card. I want decent video experience. Is that too much to ask for?
devsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 01:04 AM   #12
spion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 44
Default Re: Will everyone PLEASE stop trashing the Nvidia Linux devs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by devsk View Post
do you mean nvidia is selling these cards for free to linux users? We all paid for these things. I paid 150$ for my card. I want decent video experience. Is that too much to ask for?


Show me a Link to an advertised Geforce Card that states "Works flawlessly with every Linux Configuration known to men"
spion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can NVIDIA better engage with Linux artem NVIDIA Linux 8 06-26-12 09:05 AM
Need Help Installing NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q in Linux RHEL5 Ferianto85 NVIDIA Linux 0 05-18-12 08:35 PM
GTX 460M, Xorg 1.12, nvidia driver 295.49, linux 3.3.5-1-ARCH and NVRM Xid 44 elsifaka NVIDIA Linux 0 05-14-12 08:48 AM
nVidia Linux drivers with Linux on Mac, help? Thetargos NVIDIA Linux 0 05-13-12 12:52 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.